Girl on the Train

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by scrapsandsass, Apr 20, 2016.

1. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

with me, it depends. I remember loving The Shining, was very accurate and (I think I have mentioned this before) Agatha Christie's Poirot adaptations for TV with David Suchet are exactly the way I imagined in the books. There are things like PS I love you... I'm quiet sure I did watch the movie and liked it...but reading the book was a much more full filling experience....

He used to be a favorite of mine. then I had some really heavy experiences in life, then I became a mother in my late 30s.... then I had to deal with so much along the years, I really write of all the reading that is too spooky... I still read crime novels though... but the paranormal disturbs me to a point...which I am not willing to go LOL
    I do recognize his skills as a writer, some of the books and movies I loved the most in my teens were his...

that is the key word for me.... disturbing. My mind has gone through so many disturbing experiences in the past 15 years...I want happy. LOL
    I have to admit I still out myself through some stuff... like I was watching unREAL on Amazon.... it is profoundly disturbing (even more so because King, at least what I have read) focuses a bit more on the paranormal while the unREAL thing is something you have to be very dumb to think isn't true (reality TV) and to see how the human race can be so greedy and manipulating.... well, I thought about stopping but kept watching because I love Sheri whatshername that was on Life Unexpected and was hoping for a happy ending for her...I stopped at episode 9 as it kinda was clear she wasn't getting it.
    Also like British actors interacting with the North American... but not sure I will go to watch the rest of episode 9 or the 10.... I NEED some happy ending so I may go in search for some Bollywod LOL

scrapsandsass and KarenW like this.
  2. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Oh my goodness, the characters might be iffy but those settings from the movie are actually perfect renditions of the ones that I created in my mind while reading...exactly how I pictured them. I thought the book was okay, not as good as I expected, especially with all the hoopla surrounding it, but I do look forward to the movie. Thanks for sharing the trailer.

scrapsandsass likes this.
  3. MrsPeel

thing is, Carol.... I don't think New York looks anything at all like the p;aces of London suburbia she describes in the book...., I get probably a bit carried away with these things but really....
    is like Rizoli and Isles.... any of you read any of the Rozlli & isles books? Rizolli establishes from day one that she has bad hair, that she is not attractive, that is also supported by other characters in the book when they think about her....so you paint a character in your mind....then you see the gorgeous one that plays her on TV.... I didn;t even get to watch a full episode.
    Oh I better get out of here as I haven't eaten anything all day (woke up about 7am is now 18:24!!!) and I'm bound to go on ranting LOL

Iowan likes this.
  4. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I haven't watched Rizoli and Isles since the first season, but the Chiari world is really upset with that show right now. A few episodes back, they had the one character diagnosed with Chiari and then apparently treat it like it is a minor condition that can be corrected with outpatient/day surgery and she could immediately go back to work. :giggle It is a life-threatening condition and the surgery (which I have not had yet), requires removing a piece of skull as big as your fist and dealing with your brain... hardly day surgery. LOL. If you are going to do something in tv/movies/books... do it right! LOL.

MrsPeel likes this.
  5. MrsPeel

ohhh Kim... don't you get me started !!!!!!! @scrapsandsass

I already get terribly upset by the twisting of the facts of historical series/films... I think I have mentioned 10000 of times about the Tudors thing...though I kind of understand the need to make Henry VIII a gorgeous man to die for and be drooling all over as Rhys Meyers is....(and I enjoy it very much, thank you! LOL) the twisting of historical facts is dangerous anywhere in the world, as some people who have no knowledge at all of how history went get convinced of the facts that are shown on this kind of TV stuff....
    The Tudors saw 100 years chopped of and a misplacement of a Pope, apart from other minor stuff... lets say hiostory is history and they expect people to understand the changing of facts for TV dynamic s purposes (which is actually a money thing, as they need to cast this guy or this woman to get more ratings)
    but the health and current social stuff???????????????????
    NO WAY.
    I loved House, but I knew of some really important issues/conditions that were not explained in total truth, and that can be dangerous.
    It is also an insult to people with the condition.... a few years ago, I would have taken my time to write to the shows' writers to tell them what the heck do you think you are doing...
    these days...well, am getting old and tired and my energy runs out after writing all the letters and questionnaires the hospitals & social services want me to fill :rofl
    but yeah, annoying!!!!! :madness

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have only read the first message in this thread. I just started reading this book a couple of days ago and I'm almost done. I'd still be reading this very minute but the TLP Lightroom class is about to start. :D

I will be back in this thread soon to see what everyone else had to say.

7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Thanks for reminding me to come back and read this thread. But there wasn't much discussion about the book like I thought it was; more about book to movie adaptations. And I have never dared read Stephen King nor have I heard of any of the other t.v. shows or movies mentioned.

I found Girl on The Train kind of enthralling. I don't really want to see the movie though. I hate watching violence. But the book was very well written, the way she wove together the story. Though it was confusing until I got into the habit of paying attention to the chapter titles (the dates)!

I wrote a review on my Goodreads right after I finished reading it. Here it is in case you don't want to click the link:

Probably the most horrifying book I've read this year. I feel exhausted. The story is very well written though, gripping, I wanted to keep reading to find out how it would all come together. I should give it 5 stars for quality but I can't say I really enjoyed the book because it's such a sad and violent story.​

9. cookingmylife

I think I found it a good book but unpleasant. I can take violence but Stephen King is just too horrifying on another level for me. Primitive fear.

10. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

It will definitely be interesting to see how this movie plays out and what the moviegoers have to say about it. I saw a trailer for it again last night, and I will see it when it comes out.

@cookingmylife, Stephen King is the only scary book author I can read anymore. For some reason, since I've been reading his books for over 30 years, he is within my comfort zone. Even when he's scaring the bejeezus out of me, I still love him. I remember reading It almost all the way through in one 24-hour period (when I was in high school), and finishing at like 2 am. I was so freaked out. LOL. I didn't want to go to sleep. That whole primitive fear thing and the rush of adrenalin are okay with me as long as I can stop reading at any time. :giggle

11. cookingmylife

LOL....I'll leave these books to you then Kimberlee. Maybe if I had read him more early on in my life.

12. y_baros

y_baros missing sock mystery has been solved

exactly this. i finished the book last week and thought it was okay. the trailer looks pretty good though, so i will wait patiently until it's in theaters :)

13. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I've finally been talked into reading this one. After basically everyone I know has read it, and I just didn't want to (not normally my "style" of book), but I've been branching out a lot lately and finding things I'm surprisingly enjoying. I have it in my list :)

14. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I just started reading this too! I agree that the actors & the setting in the movie do not mesh well with the book but that's usually the case with movies. They never live up to the book imo. We just watched the Revenant after reading that book & the movie is COMPLETELY different. Frustrating!