Generating QR Codes

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by GlazeFamily3, Sep 23, 2017.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I am trying to create QR codes to add to my layouts so that we have an easy way to rewatch any video that we take. I have found numerous sites where you can make basic QR codes for free. However, I am looking for one where I can make them colorful and fun. I found one, but no matter how I redesign the QR code, it won't scan. QR_Code_.png
    I would like to create something similar, so it looks cuter in a layout, but that actually scans :)

2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is actually something I never thought of doing! But how cool! I played around with changing the colors of one of my qr codes in Photoshop and it scanned just fine. I also played around with a couple of customization sites and was able to scan the code without any issues. So then I tried to scan yours and was able to view a super cute video of what looked like the tea cup ride?? Maybe try another qr reader/scanner? Sorry I'm not more help!

bestcee likes this.
  3. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I will definitely try a new QR code scanner because I really like the colorful codes as opposed to boring black ones! And yes, that was my daughter on a teacup ride. You were helpful! The fact that you got it to scan is good!

bestcee likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

I hope you get it to work! I have been using qr codes in my PL pages for the last couple of months now I seriously want to make the cute and fun!! What site did you use? This is the one I did yesterday playing around with QRCode Monkey using a video of my son's football team :) So neat! Thanks so much for the inspiration!!

qr-code.png

5. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

I love the qr code idea. But I don't use them. My fear is that some time from now they won't work and then thy will just be in the book.

Anyone else feel this way? Am I wrong?

6. IntenseMagic

I've wondered about that, too. The way technology changes, you never know what's going to be obsolete. I guess then my books will have a little nostalgia :giggle

jagruti patel likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Funny enough, dh and I were talking about this exact thing this past week.
    Theoretically : as long as you have an app that can scan them, they will work.
    If the site you host the video on goes away, you could actually map them to your computer. You could do that now. And I figure if I have to change any out, I can just make a new qr code, or short code thing and glue it over the printed qr code. If nothing else, the qr code is a visual reminder that there is a video for that event. Otherwise, I forget I have videos and they are locked in the computer never to be watched.

8. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I felt this way for years and finally gave in to adding them a few months ago. My thought is that even if they work for just a few more years, I will still enjoy having easy access to those videos. And given that the new iPhone update added an automatic QR reader into the camera, I'm thinking that this prolongs the lifespan of these codes. One of my favorite things about giving in to using QR codes is that it has encouraged me to take more videos. I took very few before because I didn't have an avenue to really share them outside of social media. I have found myself taking videos of things I never would have before, like a walk down our block, the quirky things the dog does, 7th inning stretch at the baseball game, etc. and adding them to my PL pages. I want to be able to see and hear the things photos can't capture. But... all that being said, I still try to make them fairly inconspicuous on my pages... they are not usually a design feature, but an element in the corner.

This is what I came up with for my solution as well... if ever needed!

9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Like what Courtney said, if it doesn't work in the future there will be a reminder that there is a video to go with it. I usually keep mine pretty small so that it's not what's important on the page.

I'm going to have to try that! I've never thought about customizing my qr codes.

10. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

11. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Karen and jagruti patel like this.
  12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I uploaded the missing images to the gallery here and the tutorial is all fixed now. :)

And yes, I am worried that someday the QR codes aren't going to work, but until then I love it enough that I do it quite often on my pages. :) Like Tracie said, the new iPhone having the ability to scan QR codes with just the regular camera makes me hopeful that they'll last a lot longer now. :)

bestcee and IntenseMagic like this.