gender reveals | pad patter 4.16.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Apr 16, 2018.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

No presents. It was just a get together to find out the gender, have treats and visit.

jenn mccabe and Tree City like this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I haven't been to one and didn't do one myself either. I found out the gender when my first son was born... so that was my gender reveal. Lol. We did find out with the 2nd one with the ultrasound and it's funny, but I can't even remember if we kept that a secret or if we told people before he was born. Lol... I'm going to have to go check my scrapbooks. Lol!

keepscrappin and jenn mccabe like this.
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I find this hilarious! :giggle You are too cute Karen!

Karen likes this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

My baby is 11 so gender reveal parties weren't invented yet. I'm not a big partier in general, nor do I do things just because they're trendy, so I doubt I would have. When I learned the gender of my first baby in early 2001, I think I just announced her gender by email. We had just moved 3000 miles across the country and barely knew anyone local. I did get a baby shower, amazingly though, thanks to a local moms online group I had joined. With baby #2 in 2003 and baby #3 in 2006, I was writing a blog so I shared the ultrasound results there. The only other public announcement thing I did with any of my babies was have my oldest wear a t-shirt that said "Big Sister in Training" when I found out I was pregnant the second time.

:rollin @Tree City I did photograph my first pregnancy test stick with the positive result but I only put the photo in my scrapbook; didn't share it outside my immediate family.

Karen, keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Haven't been to one... but they are cute and to each his own in my mind. It's a positive thing, so I'm all for it! From what I've read here... I'm glad it's not a present thing (I'm also 95 too! @Tree City), but more of a "let's have a party, and get together to have fun for happy stuff" sort of thing.

keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  6. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

hehe... I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to reference the scrapbooks to keep things straight.

Karen likes this.
  7. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

And in all honesty, I doubt there are many people outside of immediate family who would want to see that pic. But don't get me wrong: I think it's great to celebrate all of these things and to record them (I am a scrapbooker after all, lol!). Go ahead and record that BFP (Big Fat Positive) and share with whomever you want! I mean, share the NEWS with whomever you want. Maybe throw the peepee stick out. :giggle

Like you, I didn't live near family when I was pregnant. I just relied on my mom to share pregnancy news with our family. She likes to talk on the phone anyway lol.

keepscrappin and michelepixels like this.
  8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Never been to a gender reveal but have seen on line when friends I have are showing things regarding grandbabies to be... what about "sprinkles"??? I thought only a shower with first born.. now everyone is having showers and sprinkles with every baby they have... what is up with that?

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

My former boss' wife was expecting their third baby. According to the ultrasound, it was definitely a boy. They had baby showers, etc. all for boy things. And then shocking everyone, they ended up with a beautiful baby girl. Ultrasounds aren't definitive. The only sure test is an amniocentesis. The ultrasounds can be pretty accurate, but depending on positioning and shadows, they can be wrong.

HavaDrPepper and keepscrappin like this.
  10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I haven't been to one, but I saw an unusual one on the fb. The couple was given a dozen eggs, half dyed pink and half dyed blue. All were hard boiled except for one in the color of the gender. They took turns smashing them on their foreheads until they got down to the last two. Dad got the raw, pink egg.

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I have never had a gender reveal party for myself...my kids are over 10 years old and these things weren't popular back then.

I have been to a gender reveal for our friends. They were expecting twins (baby 2 and 3 for them). They had two different cakes made with colored cake batter. When they cut a slice of cake we could all see what each baby would be. One pink cake and one blue cake!

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

My kids are 17 (18 on Saturday... gulp!) and 16, so it wasn't a thing then. With my oldest we didn't find out until he was born... with the youngest, we knew but didn't tell anyone.

I'm not sure where I stand on gender reveal parties, because of a story similar to Marilyn's...

My cousin was told in her ultrasound that she was having a girl. She was soooo excited to know the gender that she went out and bought all pink stuff, decorated the room in pink, started referring to the baby by the girl name they had picked out and had baby showers with tons of frilly dresses and such. Then, at her last ultrasound before delivery, she found out it was a boy. She would have been equally excited to find out the baby was a boy, but now she was losing a baby girl (that she never actually had). She went through a definitely mourning process, it was hard to watch.

I know these are exceptions vs. the norm, but that experience made me a little gun shy.

mcurtt and keepscrappin like this.
  13. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Yeah, I'm still on the fence with baby gender parties, although I did go to my granddaughter's. At her's, even SHE didn't know. Her girlfriend went with her to the untrasound to make sure she didn't peek. Then only she got the results and planned the gender reveal party. My granddaughter didn't know she was having a boy until she opened the huge box and blue balloons flew out.
    When you got to the party, you chose a pink hat or a blue hat. All the blue hats won a small gift.
    The funny part was when the parents and grandparents were called one by one up front to stand with Monica. Ahhhhh----they forgot me!!! My son is still apologizing!!!!!

londoncuppa and keepscrappin like this.
  14. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

I'm a firm believer in every baby being celebrated. That doesn't necessarily mean a shower or a sprinkle, but something to celebrate the new life! Which means I'm the crazy friend who will make sure your #5 gets a party!

Since we had recently moved when I got pregnant with my second, we chose to do a gender reveal party when we were back in our old town for a visit. (Although my husband hates the term "gender reveal" so we never referred to it as such). It was a polite way for us to throw our own party, since we knew that no one else would do anything because we weren't really settled anywhere at that point, plus we got to see friends we'd moved away from. :)

Sara, keepscrappin and londoncuppa like this.
  15. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Holy cow, Jan...that sounds so cool. How did she pull that off?

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. londoncuppa

My daughters are in their 20’s, and my son is 14, so I’m too old school for gender-reveal parties, but I like the idea of them.

I wish DD would have had the patience to do one...anything for more scrapping opportunities with lots of pics (though I do have a sweet ultrasound scan, which my husband teases her over because his facial fat hasn’t filled in yet, so his nose looks big). Ah...feel the love. :D

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm not really sure how they did it...I should ask her lol Here's the photo

Capture.JPG

keepscrappin likes this.
  18. londoncuppa

That is AMAZING!!!!! Wow!!! What a cool pic. You have GOT to scrap that. I had to show it to DH.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

We did not have one and I've never been to one but a friend of mine has done one with all three of her children. She & her husband struggled with infertility for many years, including losing a child at 22 weeks, so I understand why she makes a show of it. Hers are very elaborate, held at her church, and include her close friends & family.

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. londoncuppa

That is so special and has such an extra layer of meaningfulness. Bless her.

keepscrappin likes this.