Fit Bit worry

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by Roboliver, May 24, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Do tell. I'm intrigued.

2. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Oh, I have one girls. My daughter gave me the Alta for my birthday last year. I've already worn out a wristband. I just meant to say, I'm not afraid to wear it in spite of any warnings, in fact I get bummed when I don't charge it while I'm sleeping and loose steps when it starts to crap out during the day. I've lost 45 lbs since my Dr. told me to get one. I'd rather take the risk than die prematurely of obesity related diseases.

Amson and londoncuppa like this.
  3. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

There are some good things about them, especially for people who continue to find ways to stay motivated by them. I'm not completely against them. But here are some of the things I've noticed with my my own device and with my clients who use them.

1) Inaccuracies with the devices can vary greatly. For example, my Fitbit under-reports my steps by 27%. (How do I know this? I thought it was reading a little low compared to friends going the same half-mile route, so I walked it four different times, on four different days, counting my steps each time and comparing to my fitbit data.) So, trackers are good for comparing your activity level on day X to day Y, but you won't get exact, correct data. This matters the most when the calorie measurement is off. Plus, you won't know the calorie measurement is off unless you get your RMR (resting metabolic rate) tested with a tool that you breathe into and measures your actual oxygen intake, consumption, and byproducts to calculate your metabolism. These aren't easy to access.

2) Comparing your results to another person's results is even more likely to be inaccurate (and steps aren't the only measure of "work"). For example, I have a client in one of my weigh training classes while buddies at another gym take a dance class. She works really, really hard in my class, when you consider the amount of effort she's putting out and the amount of weight she is lifting. But although she's dripping in sweat, she doesn't get a lot of steps. It drives her nuts when friends "cheer" her to get more steps. She's doing enough!

3) I try to teach my clients not to get caught up in any one number, whether it's steps, calories, weight, BMI, etc. Health, fitness, and wellness look different for different people, and what's a motivator for one person leaves someone else defeated. If a fitbit brings you joy, go for it! But if it causes you stress because you feel like your'e not doing enough, or your friends are "beating" you every week, then it's more trouble than it's worth.

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Funny enough, that's what I love most about our TLP Fitbit group. It rotates who wins, it's not always the same person!

I've had similar thoughts on it, so I was curious from a trainer perspective. I do find it encourages me, so I keep it. And if I'm feeling overly stressed about my stats, I just don't wear it for a day or week! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

AJK likes this.
  5. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

It sounds like your fitbit is a positive thing for you, and that's great that it keeps you moving! :circles

Different people, different goals, different motivators. There's no "one size fits all" motivator, or workout, or trainer.:run

AJK likes this.