February 2017 Book Club - Red Rising

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Feb 2, 2017.

1. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

Um...how do I read a white spoiler? Lol

2. tinkerbell1112

I'm not sure I'll read another either. Midway through and I'm a bit over it. Not sure why.

Lindzee likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Click and drag over the "blank space" to highlight the white text and then it'll show up.

tinkerbell1112 likes this.
  4. tinkerbell1112

I do agree with your comment in white (thanks @Karen ) for the help. I too am getting a bit tired of that theme. My son enjoys them, and I'm not sure if that is a product of this generation or what. But then again, there was Lord of the Flies and Outsider and I'm sure there were others from when I was his age. But yes, it seems to be in a TON of books these days. I had thought I'd let him read this one, but after the first chapter was already saying no!

Karen likes this.
  5. tinkerbell1112

FINISHED - and before the month was over! Who's with me?

bellbird and Karen like this.
  6. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

My copy jut came in. Going to start it tonight

Karen and tinkerbell1112 like this.
  7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i'm not reading thru the thread yet, just going to post an update about where i'm at (about 3hrs to go in audio) - post in white with potential spoilers
    The caste premise, location and the start were a real draw card to me but it lost momentum after Darrow's training and conversion and entrance into the ? Gold Academy (can't even remember what it's called). It just became a long series of savage moments that frankly, lost my interest, until Mustang revived him - I understand why the trials were included and what they reflected about the Gold tier and their society and how they allowed the characters to show their true colours and all, but it felt like it took forever and it's still going really so... goodbye February, to be continued in March ....n

Karen likes this.
  8. janedee

I'm about halfway through now. I will probably finish but doubt if I will read any more of the series.
    I love sci fi and dystopian novels, but I agree with the others, I'm over this particular theme. There were far too many similarities to the Hunger Games for my liking.

9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

SO i finished a few days ago and have read the thread now and a few reviews on goodreads since and i will say that getting to the end made me re-think some aspects of the middle - some points dragged as many have mentioned and i did wonder would this scene or character be relevant in the end or is it/they a red herring and just filler (that is dragging and not good filler!) or one of those 'expendable' characters... a few people have said on good reads that the more u read of the series, the better you understand the book/world they're in and appreciate the genius behind this - hard to see sometimes when it looks like a bunch of other novels/movies cobbled together... i'm still processing the end and tryin to decide whether to do book2

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

SO I'll start a bit of discussion:
    Did you like Darrow?

(potential SPOILER - in white - drag over to read)
    For me, he was a good guy that went to the dark side for the greater good, and i couldn't like him as a 'Gold'

11. tinkerbell1112

(potential SPOILER - in white - drag over to read)
    I didn't dislike him, and I found aspects that were good. While he seemed to sometimes slip into a Gold mindset he seemed to always reign himself back, and I did like that. I'm in the same boat where I'm not sure I'm going to read any more of this series. I had really hoped it would be something I could suggest to my son, but there was way too much in there that he doesn't need to read yet (age 12)

bellbird likes this.
  12. jenn33199

jenn33199 Just point me to the low-carb brownies!

I loved it- and Darrow. But I've read all three.

bellbird likes this.
  13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I have this requested at our library but I'm still waiting (the queue says another 21 days....grrr). So I'll read it too but long after you all read it :)

bellbird likes this.
  14. Karen

I FINALLY just started this one! I'm about 40% done already. I am still stuck reading my other epicly long book at night, but I got this one on audiobook so I can listen at work. :) So far I'm enjoying it. Definitely similar to Hunger Games and Ender's Game, but I liked both of those, I guess that's not a bad thing. It also reminds me of Artemis Fowl that I read with my boys, but far better than those.

bellbird likes this.
  15. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I finished this last week, and while I wasn't expecting to read the second one, based on others' responses here, here I am staying up WAY too late and wasting my days away reading book number 2.. I'll probably finish today or tomorrow.. There were definitely parts that dragged for me - all the military talk and explanation of the topography at the Institute (which there is a lot of in book two, so I'm finding I'm doing a lot of skimming there.. I've heard book three has less of that, so...) I haven't really *thought* very deeply about the book and how I feel about it, other than I want to know what's next in their story.. I've always been one to root for the underdog, so those stories always get to me. I did feel like the author was trying too hard to create this world, though, with all the crazy titling of things, with the lowerUpper case trying to make something new and clever out of words we already know to fit his world. Felt unnecessary to me, and like a rookie thing to do.. But whatever.. I'll actually do some thinking about the book and come back with more thoughts then. :D

16. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Just received my ebook copy and need to get started since February is over haha

17. Karen

Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat. :)

18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So i couldn't stay in that world for another book just yet... am in the queue for book 2 b/cos i'm still thinking about it and how revelations in the end will effect Darrow's /Eo's plans, but have gone with something with less slaying for a bit- hopefully - it's The Night Circus and so far it's more magic and intrigue

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i dont think we picked a March book so you should be right LOL

20. janedee

Okay, I've changed my mind! I enjoyed the 2nd half of the book much more and will probably read the 2nd one in the series now!
    Thoughts on Darrow in white.
    I enjoyed how Darrow's character grew during the course of the book and look forward to seeing how he further develops.

bellbird likes this.