Essential Oils

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bcgal00, Jul 13, 2017.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Do you use them? I'm new to this and just started using a diffuser and oils this past month. My sinus infection cleared up with using a sinus oil blend called "Protect" and I've been able to stop using my nasal spray. I run the diffuser for about 6-8 hrs during the day in my office. At bedtime I put in a "Relax" blend to help me sleep. I still wake up numerous times throughout the night but do find I go back to sleep a little easier. I am totally addicted to the fragrance of them! I just got a face serum with essential oils to put on at bedtime and am going to take a class later this summer on how to make my own body cream blend.

I've been watching youtube vids on how to use the oils and which ones are good for anti-aging.

Anyone else using EO's? For what and which ones?

2. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

We have some that we get at the local "health" store. They are the Veriditas brand. We have tried ones that are preblended. We have tried the "Sinus Ease" which is self explanatory and it seems to work some for congestion. The weird thing is you stick in in your nose! LOL

My favorite is the Mental Clarity, it has peppermint, lemon, grapefruit, lavender, basil, and rosemary. I love it. It seems to help with headaches. I smear it all over my neck! LOL And I like the fact I can use it for a pick me up OR I have also used it right before I go to bed and it helps me sleep. Weird..but it's probably the lavender and peppermint doing it.

We haven't diffused any though. That's next on the list to try.

KellyM and bcgal00 like this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My concern is that I am allergic to strong fragrances. For example, Yankee Candle store gives me a instant headache. I love their candles but after burning them for 5 minutes I have to stop due to the sinus headache they give me. So I am afraid to try the diffuser. Can anyone comment on this? Is the fragrance strong?

4. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I love scents but I don't like paying for the oils. Guess I need to check some different places again and see about prices.

5. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I use them sporadically. We use Young Living. I frequently use thieves (for almost anything), lavender, peppermint (these two for headaches, body aches). I've used oregano for tooth pain.

6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@BevG A lot of perfumes give me headaches too, especially floral scents. I don't have that reaction to essential oils.

BevG likes this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I don't use them, although I did go to a party- we made a room spray- which I made mine with vodka, water & the oil for asthma- I can't even remember what it was- plus lavender. We sprayed it at night time in my son's room before he went to bed & it seemed to help his asthma- although we also have an air purifier, dust covers all over his bed, etc. so I think it's all of the above that actually made a difference! ;) We just ran out of the spray- I need to look into getting more!

bcgal00 likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I haven't used them, but I have been looking in to them. Following this thread for any info :)

bcgal00 likes this.
  9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have a health food store brand of lavender that I often use at night by dropping a couple of drops on the duvet cover before I go to bed. I'm rather wary of anything sold via parties or home based sellers. The prices always seem way too high for their merchandise. I'd be more likely to use other oils if they came from a reccomendation from an acupuncturist etc. I've meant to ask a friend who is an acupuncturist about them.

bcgal00 likes this.
  10. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Same here...oils have never given me a headache.

I'm a doTERRA user. We run the diffuser day and night for different reasons. I've used them on my children in the morning before school. InTune is their focus blend that I put on their feet. My hubby and I both use Deep Blue rub for aches and pains. Serenity at night for a better night's sleep and it helps with the husband's snoring.

bcgal00 likes this.
  11. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I made sugar scrubs for some friends for Christmas and they all loved them. I've also made my own Poo-pourri. You know the stuff? I put it out whenever we have a lot of our guy friends over. LOL!

amien1 likes this.
  12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've started using a face serum which has some anti-aging EO's in them and I added in a few drops of lemon and am waiting for my carrot seed oil to arrive tomorrow. I ordered an evening primrose body balm and am going to put a hand serum and the body balm on before bed. I've noticed a difference in my face after using the face serum this week. I get up in the morning and my face feels softer, more nourished. I'm super happy with the results so far with my oils. I decided to buy some products from Plant Therapy whose prices are really good and free shipping to Canada if you spend enough (not a problem LOL) and will also buy some stuff from Young Living. I would have liked to buy from Mountain Rose but there's no discount for shipping to Canada and their products (although highly recommended) are too expensive to buy if there isn't some kind of discount (sucks to pay US/Canada exchange). Found out a ton of my old scrap friends (from my paper scrapping days) are all signed up under YL and their upline is an old scrappy acquaintance so I'll buy from her and it'll be fun to attend her monthly coffee get-together at a local coffee shop and see everyone.

BevG likes this.
  13. Teri

Teri You bought a used lion?

Our two favorite blends are Thieves and Ravens. I diffuse the thieves during the school year to help fight germs coming from school. If the kids start to come down with something, or something seems to be going around, I will rub it on their feet or let them before school (we use a bottle with a little roller bottle on it that is great for the kids to put it on themselves.)
    The Raven blend is for respiratory health. I used to buy it blended from a massage therapist in Colorado, but since moving I have found a recipe and make my own blend. My son had some pretty serious respiratory issues for the first 5 years of his life (pneumonia twice a year, asma, etc) and this seemed to help.
    I also use EOs my granite counter top spray mix. I like to use tea tree and lemongrass for their antibacterial properties
    and peppermint because it discourages pests. And anything citrus for the scent.
    I have also made a blend as a bug spray. It worked, but was oily (it used baby oil as it's base). I am planning on making bug off lotion bars with the same EO blend to see if it works better.
    My favorite EO is grapefruit...I just love the smell, and have been know to just go uncap the bottle and take a whiff and smile. :)

bcgal00 likes this.
  14. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

This is us too (brand) my girlfriend has the 'membership' so I just ordered from her if I need something. My girls use the peppermint + for headaces first before trying medicine.

bcgal00 likes this.
  15. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I love my Thieves knock-off (Protect) but haven't heard of Ravens blend. If you don't mind, can you message me your recipe? My hubs has had a terrible time with a respiratory problem and none of the medications seem to be helping.

I too love grapefruit and put it in my body cream b/c I love citrusy smells i.e. grapefruit, lemon, lime etc.

16. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

My favorite scents!!

bcgal00 likes this.
  17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don't use them, but my MIL loves them and they have helped her with numerous ailments of aging. She swims in lavender before bed every night, but swears it helps her sleep better. She used other ones for help with heartburn too. Not sure which though.

bcgal00 likes this.
  18. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

We use Doterra products, too. Excellent quality oils. I have seen them do wonderful things in our home. We use our diffuser often and especially at night. My husband has a chronic lung problem that we have to be very watchful over. The oils help him a lot. I love their peppermint. It's good for headaches, coughs, sore throats. Wonderful stuff during cold and flu season! Plus it makes you smell like a candy cane!! :)

bcgal00 likes this.
  19. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

I love Plant Therapy as I usually get free shipping to Australia also if I spend over $50. I find their quality is really good.

bcgal00 likes this.
  20. Teri

Teri You bought a used lion?

I have never seen the Raven's blend anywhere else...a friend introduced it to me in Colorado, and I would make an hour trip to the massage therapist to get more when we ran out (this was when my son was really struggling, so the blend was used daily)

I sent you the recipe for the Ravens and my recipe for Thieves.

bcgal00 likes this.