EHD and Backup Options

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by mrspotts, Jun 4, 2018.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

This is totally me. TY so much. (Sorry for hijacking your thread Jewelle! )

Tree City likes this.
  2. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

I finally got a new super awesome laptop two months ago and spent a LOT of time talking to the computer man. His wife is a scrapbooker!!! Woo hoo! He knew exactly what I wanted and why! He's been at that job for 20 years so he knew a LOT! I talked about BB and he said it's just like an entire city of computers somewhere in the desert (or somewhere). While it's unlikely, your stuff could possibly fall into other hands and it's no different to me having another EHD that I keep at my friend's house. So, I bought another EHD (which I haven't used and sent to my friends yet, but I will.) So, I have maybe 5 or 6 EHDs! :D One can never have two many! Most are Seagates. Essentially, I've lost photos when they have died and my best friend almost lost everything two weeks ago as she had it ALL on just one EHD and it did die! Our computer shop retrieved it all, but she was in fear and panic for two weeks not knowing. ALL her scrapped pages, photos and kits were all only in that one place! Yikes! So crazy!

So. ensure you back up everything lots of times! :)

bestcee likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I use a 3 TB Seagate desktop and I back up to Backblaze. I did have to do a total restore after a computer crash, and Backblaze restored everything on a portable hard drive within a few days. It was WELL worth it.

4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have 3 EHDs. The oldest is a 1T (remember when that was a WOW?) which is mostly my archive stuff, old things but not ready to be trashed. My main storage is a 2T G-Drive photos, and all digi stuff. Both of those are backed as is my iMac up to a 4T LaCie that Apple gave me...long story. I keep saying I'm going to get another G-drive to add things I'd like stored offsite but this plan went south when my son moved to NC. It was a good idea when he was only a 45min drive away but I still should do that.

btw, one bit of advice I was given was to keep all EHDs at least half empty. The 4T now has backups from Nov 2017 to today. I have been known to delete a month or two of the old ones, but it is time consuming and I have to use the TrashIt app to get it done fairly quickly. Right now I have only 700GB free space so I'd say it's time. It does auto delete the oldest backups when it's full but I like to keep it less full!

Tree City likes this.
  5. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Why is that?