Eclipse 2017!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Scrapping with Liz, Jul 16, 2017.

1. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

It would have been great to see the Northern Lights last night but it was way too smoky around here from all the forest fires.

2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Sounds so cool! I'm closer to the 80% line... so, with no clouds, hoping we get to see something!

3. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Yay! I actually just looked what our town has planned last night. They are having a block party down town! I had no idea. I'm not sure we'll check it out...it might be too crazy with 7 kids and the thousands of extra people they are expecting.

I think for those of you who are in the partial path it will still be cool. I vaguely remember seeing one as a kid, but I'm pretty sure it was a partial eclipse.

I was just doing a little research and the last time we've had a total eclipse in the US was in 1918 & it was on a similar path as this one. There was one visible in Hawaii and Mexico in 1991...maybe that's what I remember seeing, just part of it.

4. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

I had no idea that they were trying to make a movie too. That'd be pretty cool to see. My uncle is part of an astronomy club where he lives so he may already know about it, but I'll mention it to him!

bestcee likes this.
  5. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I remember one when I was about 11 (showing my age now). Isn't nature completely fascinating?

6. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

We're 5+ hours from totality so y'all tell me how cool it is, okay? :)

bestcee and Scrapping with Liz like this.
  7. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

My hometown (White House, TN) is right in the path of totality, so I'll be hanging out with my parents to watch! And Darren will be on an away rotation at a nearby hospital (instead of in school all the way down in Mobile), so we might actually get to see it together!

bestcee likes this.
  8. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

After ordering 5 pairs of glasses from Amazon, I found out that most libraries in the US will be giving them out for free. You all might want to check with your local library to see if this is true.

9. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We're in that 80% zone. I don't think we'll go anywhere- especially since Oregon & Idaho are predicting the worst traffic in the history of traffic- so... that's a no! We'll still watch from home I imagine!

10. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I'm so jealous!!! I would love to see this in person!! The coolest space related thing I've seen is Haley's Comment LOL

11. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Unbelievably we had scheduled a vacation in the Midwest at that time, way before the eclipse became "big news". My friend has purchased the special glasses and scheduled a trip to a local winery right along the path. I would love to see a kit too. Now I need to read up on "eclipse photography."

bestcee likes this.
  12. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

We are at the southern edge of the eclipse zone. I think it's estimated to be about 40 seconds where I live, but DH and I had already decided to take the kiddos out of school and drive about an hour to be in the path of totality. Very exciting!!

bestcee likes this.
  13. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I'm really excited about this one. We are not in the path of totality - but really close - in the .9 magnitude range. I'm trying to decide if we should try to drive about 2 hours north to get the full experience. Just not sure what to expect - whether everyone else in Atlanta will be on the road as well??

bestcee likes this.
  14. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

We are close to the totality, but won't drive for it. I cannot imagine the traffic that will be happening! I think we'll be close enough to get a great experience though. Thanks for posting this Liz!

bestcee likes this.