Dude, I'm graduating!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jesskab, Apr 17, 2018.

1. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Most of you know the story. I'm a 40 year old senior at San Francisco State University.
    I emailed the department chair, asking if she would accept a substitute for an Asian Studies class. She said yes, breaks down my transcript, & sends me a graduation application. Turns out with just two online courses in the summer, I'll have completed my BA in Humanities.

Here's how today went. I went home in between work & school to grab my graduation application. I figured I'd leave the paperwork for the chair to sign during her normal business hours, which were not supposed to be today. I go to drop off the papers & she's in there. She signs my paperwork, invites me to the department graduation party, & hard sells graduate school to me. We said our goodbyes & I marched down to the registrar to submit my signed papers. I hadn't checked a box. "Don't you wanna walk?" she asks. I answered that I knew the deadline to apply for the big ceremony was last month. Turns out, I can still walk, but won't have my name in the program. I am class of 2018, this is my graduation ceremony, in FIVE WEEKS!!!

I'm still in shock. I'm not big on surprises. I need to plan a grad party quickly! Is a potluck BBQ acceptable? My mom & husband asked if I want it catered. That's just not what I want. I need to get out announcements & find a dress. My school colors are purple & yellow, I'd love to stay in theme. It's unreal & I'm afraid they'll say there's a mistake. Part of me doesn't even want to start planning cuz I'm afraid they'll say it's a mistake. Another part of me is yelling at myself to move move move!

Dude, I'm graduating college!!!

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Yay, congrats!

jesskab likes this.
  3. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

4. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

That's huge! Congrats!

jesskab likes this.
  5. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

So cool! That is the best sort of surprise!
    I would go with the pot luck dinner (assuming I correctly interpret potluck dinners is where your friends all bring something...)

enjoyyourpix, Genniejoy and jesskab like this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

That is absolutely fantastic, Jess!!! So happy for you! I think the BBQ potluck sounds awesome! Enjoy every second of this! You earned it!

jesskab likes this.
  7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Congrats Jess and a potluck BBQ is absolutely acceptable! That was what was pretty much for my brother & sister in law's wedding as it was the second for both and my sister in law's Mom had all her friends bring something for the reception in the back yard and it was Fabulous!

This is about you and what ever you want it should be.. Let your husband & Mom take care of the party stuff re cake and BBQ stuff and make an invitation to have printed at the local office max or staples or even walmart. You can do this girl, and you can find a dress.. try even Kohl's on line.. I ordered a dress that way once and it was awesome so you don't even have to go to the store.. it was reasonable maybe $35 and it was perfect!

Congratulations!!

jesskab likes this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

CONGRATS! If you talked with the chair, then there's no way it's a mistake. Good for you! This deserves a big celebration, and a BBQ sounds fun! If you don't mind, let us all know the party date so your TLP friends can toast you from our respective locales!

jesskab, jenn mccabe and cfile like this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That's so awesome! But like you, I'd be reeling a bit at having it happen so fast and having to plan it all out. Lol! A BBQ sounds perfect... assuming it's not still snowing for you like it is here. :giggle

jesskab, jk703 and cfile like this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Congratulations, Jess! Huge news, wonderful timing, and YAY for all your hard work! Be proud of all that hard work, time, effort, the example you are for your kids, and accomplishing a huge feat! So excited for you!

jesskab likes this.
  11. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

12. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Holy Heck Jess ... so you thought you had another class to take but are done?!?! I can't even imagine what that feels like! I can imagine the graduating part bc I am graduating in 4 weeks myself with my 2nd degree - but i knew it was coming for awhile now. WOW ... what a surprise that must have been! Big congrats for all your hard work!

I love the BBQ pot luck idea - summer graduations always seem to equal outside grilling food to me! Can you whip up some digital purple/yellow invites and just email them? I've been doing all my invites that way for awhile - fast and still cute as can be! For a dress find something in one of the colors and wear a pretty scarf in the other color ... and shoes in the other color?

I'm so exicted for you!!! :circles

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    wvsandy and jesskab like this.
  13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

:yesss Congratulations!!!
    Of course a BBQ potluck is a fabulous plan!
    Purple and yellow were the colors of the flowers I chose for my wedding. I love the combination.
    :love

jesskab likes this.
  14. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!

jesskab likes this.
  15. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Reading this made me smile! All I can add is CONGRATS, Congrats, CONGRATS!!!

jesskab likes this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Congratulations!!! That's SO exciting!! Go you!!!:byay:byay

jesskab likes this.
  17. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I am SO. FLIPPING. PROUD. of you, Jess!!! What an accomplishment, you amazing, hardworking mama!!!

You deserve every party, dress, pampering and luxury your friends and family want to give you. Accept it all. You earned it!! Big hugs, girl! Can’t wait to see those graduation photos!! Woohoo!! :cheer:heartlub @jesskab

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    jesskab likes this.
  18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

That is sooo very cool!!! So happy you got it done and you get to walk. Congratulations and yes, party, party!!!

And yes, on the BBQ potluck and the purple and the yellow... Can't wait to see your photos.

jesskab likes this.
  19. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Awesome news, congrats!

jesskab likes this.
  20. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Congratulations! That is an awesome accomplishment! Your story reminds me so much of my Sister's. She was a non-traditional college student after she and her hubby became empty nesters. She also got the hard sell for graduate school and now teaches "Women's Studies" at the University.

We are so proud of you!

jesskab likes this.