DSLR recommendations

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by ashleywb, Mar 31, 2017.

1. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Check CreativeLIVE frequently (and maybe subscribe to their newsletters) because they often rebroadcast their classes, which means you can watch for free. (I also highly recommend purchasing their classes -- and I have, years ago -- I'm just so budget conscious at the moment. :)

2. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

This is good to know. There is a class on the Nikon D750 that is only 49.00, but I need someone to show me where the "goodies" to adjust are located because it's different than my D5000! I think I will splurge for the class now1

3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Uhhhh, I got a Canon 80D yesterday. I picked it up and fell in love. It's an upgrade from my T1i (lately it's been ... laggy is the word I use). I've been wanting a new camera and when I felt the 80D, I knew that was it. I'd used DPreview to check out different models, but the Costco 80D bundle was a great deal.
    At this point I don't have enough experience to really give you info on the 80D, but I can tell you that the Rebel line of Canons is a great choice for you and your DD. DH and I both loved the T1i, and I'm going to sell it to my dad, who's been looking at DSLRs for like 2 years. So he's happy to get mine for a good price lol. Anyway, the Rebel line has many features from the more expensive ones but at such a great price point (well, "great price point" is relative, isn't it? lol). And my T1i is about 6.5 years old; I bet the newer Rebels have lots more features! To me, they're easy to use/intuitive.
    Definitely check them out in person if you can. Good luck finding one you love!

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'll also recommend an ebook called "The Spaghetti Shots" written by a mom, for moms really, I found it helped me remember better the bits and pieces of manual mode. Like ISO - is the Sun out? I've watched more technical classes, but that little ebook is awesome for me to quickly review, and really got me going on manual quickly.

busywoman139 and enjoyyourpix like this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I had the Canon Rebel SLR (film not digital) as my first real camera. It was a gift from my hubby (he was my BF at the time). So that is how I became a Canon girl. I had a few Canon P&S cameras, once digital cameras became popular, and then got a Canon Rebel as my first DSLR. I learned to shoot manual on that from a Candice Stringham class. She made it so easy to learn. That entry level body literally held me over for years ... I always wanted to buy new lenses instead of a new body. Last summer a bee stung me and the camera dropped (stupidly I did not have the strap around my neck) and the camera seemed Ok but the husband said it was about time for an upgrade so I went to the Canon 6D. If you don't shoot manual currently and have a decent learning curve ahead of you ... I think you will get a lot for your $ out of an entry level body ... Canon, Nikon or even another brand like Rae mentioned! Spend the extra money on a good lens or two! :) Also think about the type of photos you shoot most often ... sports, low light, etc. When reading the reviews keep that in the back of your mind. Good luck ... so exciting and fun ... but overwhelming to shop for a camera!!!

6. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I did it!

I just ordered the Nikon D3400. For entry-level at my price point it seemed like the best image capability for the money - and I liked the way it felt in my hands. I so agonized over it though!!! Still lamenting the loss of WiFi I would have gotten with the Canon T6. We'll see how it goes!

Thanks everyone for the advice - the combination of Ken Rockwell and going to try them myself at Best Buy really helped!

7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

So excited for you to join the Nikon family! LOL Can't wait to see your photos!

ashleywb likes this.
  8. KatrinaHunt13

whohooo!!!! Nikon girls unite!!! LOL

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  9. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Congrats!! I don't think I've ever used the wifi on my camera except for the one time I tried it! Just get into the groove of your workflow and you'll be cruising in no time!!! Put on your Christmas/birthday list a 35 mm 1.8 lens. You'll thank me later!!! ;)

10. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

My bestie is a Nikon girl, and I'm a Canon girl. We like to pretend we're the Jets and the Sharks from West Side Story. hehe.

I started off on Nikon and then switched to Canon because of a really good deal and have never looked back.

Another thing to consider is lenses. They're the huge investment there as they will last you through whatever camera body you choose (in that brand). However, my bestie is upset because apparently the upgraded one she just got on sale apparently doesn't fit her lenses, which is weird. Both Canon and Nikon were usually really good about keeping things consistent, so I'm not sure what's going on but definitely makes me wary.

I hope you love whichever you get! Both are good. :)

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I haven't read through the whole thread again, but don't be sad about not getting wi-fi... for about $50 you can have wifi with a Eye Fi card. I have one in my OLD nikon D3100 and it works just fine. I transfer pictures to my phone on the fly all the time. You can have it all! :) Here's the one my hubby got me for Christmas this year... but I think he only paid $40, so keep an eye on the price. Seems like Amazon's prices change by the minute.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Woo Hoo! I hope you love it!
    You've inspired me to look into a class nearby. Just asked a friend if she wanted to join me!

13. KatrinaHunt13

Did she get a crop sensor model??? I know I had to be careful with my d5000 because of the motor being in the lens and not the camera for the autofocus. I just got a d750 full frame and am loving it. I think I remember reading something about not all the lenses that work on a full frame will work on a crop sensor body. BUT all the lenses will work on a full frame body.

14. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

@KatrinaHunt13 That is an excellent question.. I'll have to ask her which one it is. I was thinking too, isn't there like adapters that help you use one lens for another? Someone in this very thread said they used adapters for their sony to take canon and nikon lenses which prompted me to remember this photographer I follow on youtube who said something about a lens adapter for his bigger lenses to fit on his smaller body... so now I'm curious, I just don't know how Nikon's work anymore. The only one I had was 16 years ago? And it was a regular, non detachable lens camera. Hmm...

bestcee likes this.
  15. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i might be in the market for a new one soon. i think mine is really going.

16. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

Great info! I'll have to start researching all this because I think I finally want a nice camera. DD is going into highschool marching band and soccer next school year, and I'm pretty sure my phone's camera isn't going to cut it for me. At least I know I want a good zoom lens and be able to shoot action shots.