DSLR recommendations

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by ashleywb, Mar 31, 2017.

1. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Okay, I think I am finally ready to take the plunge and buy a DSLR camera for my daughter and I to share. I'm thinking entry level and user friendly to learn on. Any recommendations? Canon or Nikon? Any advice is much appreciated! :)

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Go play with them in store. I use Costco, cuz they don't complain or get pushy. :whistle

As far as i can tell, the features are very similar. The body was the difference for me when i played with them.

That said, I started with a Canon Rebel XS, and have moved to a Canon T6i. I stuck with Canon, because the lens i bought for the first camera, work with the second.
    You really have to know yourself though. Are you willing to carry it around with you? Does the weight matter? Do you want something that fits in your current purse? (I bought a new one that the camera fits in.) Do you want to learn manual mode? Or are you happy letting the camera control all the photos? Do you want an LCD screen that moves? (I use mine for selfies, and when I'm taking an above photo). What features are important to you? I know some prefer to use point and shoot or mirrorless cameras.

What are you planning on shooting? That might make a difference in which lens/features you want. I like having video on my camera, rather than a separate video camera.

Sorry if i overwhelmed you!

3. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

I agree with @bestcee. I am actually a Nikon girl, but it was because I liked the feel of it over the Canon. I started with a D500, which got me thru learning how to shoot in manual mode. I recently upgraded to a full frame D750, but haven't had much time to play with it.

If you aren't interested in learning manual, the lower end dslr's would be fine. When I bought my D750, they actually asked me how I was planning on shooting. When I said manual, they seemed relieved! LOL I have a local camera shop that I purchased at and he said he hated to see people waste money on cameras that they weren't going to actually work to use.

Go in the stores, compare the feel, etc. I did this a few times before I decided on Nikon. And if you are planning on ever upgrading, take that into consideration also. Lenses will carry over from camera to camera if you stick with the same brand.

I went on www.kenrockwell.com and read a lot. He had reviews of all the cameras I was looking at etc. It's a very unbiased site.

Good luck!! New cameras are so much fun. And make sure to let us know what you get!

enjoyyourpix, bestcee and ashleywb like this.
  4. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

@bestcee, thanks, this is great. Costco is a great idea. I'm not super concerned about weight, but maybe I should be. I would probably use the camera for trips/events more than the every day, but maybe not. I am really wanting more control over my photos. I definitely want to learn how to use the camera in manual mode.

I am planning to enroll my dd in a photography class next fall that would include lessons on aperture, ISO, shutter speed, etc. So I think she probably needs a decent camera.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  5. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  6. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Definitely go hold them, play with them, see how they feel in your hands. Best Buy is great for this (our Best Buy has way more cameras to play with than Costco). Canon and Nikon are both great quality brands and either one will provide you with what you need. It's all about how they feel to you. I've been a Nikon girl all the way, but strictly because I like how they feel in my hands.

What is important to you? If it's indoor shots, look for a camera with a high ISO threshold for low light situations. You also want to be careful about getting a camera that won't allow auto focus with certain lenses (that might be just a Nikon thing, not sure). My biggest advice would be to go with the best you can afford with all the bells and whistles you might use - I've upgraded camera bodies twice because I ended up getting more into photography than I thought I would and wanted more features than I had.

7. mrs2a50

8. bestcee

My brother just took that course in his high school [10th grade]. They used a Canon Rebel XS if they needed to borrow one.

enjoyyourpix and ashleywb like this.
  9. bestcee

I totally agree with this, and it's how i decided on my first camera. My current Best Buy has all the nice cameras locked up, so you have to deal with having an employee who will unlock the case, look at you like you are a thief, and drum their fingers on the counter the whole time. Ugh. :angry

10. mrs2a50

@bestcee - that sucks! Ours are tethered to the display with a heavy cable, but it's long enough you can pick them up and play with them.

enjoyyourpix and bestcee like this.
  11. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

@mrs2a50 Thanks, Julie. I'm so glad I asked because my tendency would be to do a lot of research on-line and decide, rather than actually holding/playing with various cameras.

busywoman139 likes this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

In 2010 when I researched for my first DSLR I also found Ken Rockwell the most helpful and spent at least a couple long sessions handling the cameras in Best Buy.

Canon vs Nikon is 100% personal preference.

I highly recommend CreativeLIVE for learning about photography. It's free to watch their broadcasts. You only pay if you want to download the videos. John Greengo's first Fundamentals of Digital Photography class in 2010 (which he has upgrade a few times since then) was what finally made the exposure triangle clear to me and gave me to confidence to buy a DSLR.

I ended up choosing the Canon Rebel T1i because it's the entry level and still a stretch financially, and I preferred how it felt in my hands. And it continues to serve me well today because I have even less of a photography budget nowadays (zero).

One more recommendation: Clickinmoms (not just moms) is the best photography forum on the internet.

I have shared links to the above resources and a few others on my about page at my blog.

KatrinaHunt13 and ashleywb like this.
  13. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I would love a camera too! Been using my iPhone for a number of years and realized when we took a trip last fall that I really missed not having a camera to bring with us.

14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've had both canon and Nikon and they both have great cameras. I wouldn't count out Olympus and Sony too as many seem to love their cameras too. I also have a Sony mirrorless which I love and can't wait to upgrade this year. I have 3 lenses for it and they are all small and light. Watch for sales and if you don't mind buying used, clickinmoms has a used camera board and you can get a great deal from one of the members. I've sold and bought from them and highly recommend it.

KatrinaHunt13 and ashleywb like this.
  15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I agree with everyone else... the feel of the camera is very important. I started with Canon's years ago and have always loved them. One time I wanted a smaller camera to put in my purse. Found a Canon that fit what I wanted (an updated but smaller version of my original A95)... When it came down to it, it was too small for me! I couldn't get a good picture at all. I am the same way with my phone, cannot get a good picture at all. I need something that is bigger that I can get a good grip to hold steady.

I am on my 5th Canon, a Rebel T5. Other than the one I didn't like (and sold to a co-worker), I still have all of them and they all still work! So my original Canon A95 (now 12 years old) or the Canon G12 are my purse cameras for every day. Around the house I'll pull out the PowerShot S3 or the Rebel.

A friend that has always used her iPhone for pictures decided she wanted something different. She ended up with a Nikon. Loves it and is taking a photography class and getting some great pictures. It all comes down to personal preference as both Nikon and Canon are great cameras.

ashleywb likes this.
  16. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I started out with Canon and have stuck with them since I switched to a DSLR. I do check out DPReview whenever I'm looking for a new camera. I like how I can compare the reviews of a number of different cameras at one time.
    I started using a DSLR with a Rebel T2i, which has almost reached the end of its shutter life now. Then DH bought me an EOS70D which, while a fabulous camera, I found way too big and heavy to cart around when traveling. I bought a Rebel SL1 just recently and am loving the smaller size and portability again.

ashleywb likes this.
  17. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I have Nikon for 1 main reason. My best friend's family always had them and told me if I got Nikon should could answer questions I had. In fact, after I had the camera for a while (it was a D5000 I bought in 2009 or was it 2008?), she taught be the basics of the exposure triangle and how to use manual mode. In my town, the Canons seem to reign supreme and I see few Nikon's at the sports fields. I don't really mind; however it would have been awesome to borrow a lens or two from a couple photography friends I've made at the school. I upgraded to D750 in 2016. I had some money and I really wanted to try a full frame camera with a better ISO.

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I started with the Nikon D5000, and chose it for the LCD screen that you can turn around and use for selfies. LOL Seriously, there was more into it than that, but it has come in handy when doing different kind of shooting for me . . . it's hard for me to do certain bending, and I can opt to use the LCD screen to see what I'm shooting if I'm holding it way up high or down low.

Olivia got the D5100, the next model up, a few years after me. She has enjoyed it as well.

It's marketed as entry level. I've had mine since 2010, so it's 7 years old, and it's still taking beautiful photos. Although I have to admit, I use my phone camera more and more and more.

Hope you find the perfect fit for you!

ashleywb, bestcee and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  19. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

I went from Canon to Nikon to Sony to Canon and now I have all 3 :) Nikon feels good to me (as others have said - go hold them to see what "fits" you better) but Canon allows me some freedom for specific techniques that I am interested in. The Sony (I have an a6000) is fantastic for a throw-in-my-purse-and-go lightweight option BUT the battery life is not great. However, you can always buy extra batteries and the Sony has adapters available so you can use other Canon or Nikon lenses with it.
    One other suggestion is to look at B&H Photo and/or Adorama in their Outlet sections - they have good quality used equipment that they have inspected and given a rating to.
    Good luck and have fun with your search!!

Edited to add: for some basic learning, I really enjoyed a YouTube channel called "Easy Exposure". An Eastern European gal who was really clear in her instructions. Also, Lynda.com is a fantastic source as well as Creative Live like someone mentioned above. (P.S. search the forum here for a thread about Libraries and Lynda.com in case your local library has access to it.)

Edit #2: There is really no substitution for actually reading the manual and pushing all the buttons! Grab a stuffed animal, the camera manual, and a couple hours and just practice like crazy!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    ashleywb likes this.
  20. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I am going to check this out! I have a Canon 50D and shoot auto 90% of the time because I've just never taken the time to completely jump in to learn all I need to. I learn a little here and there and then forget what I've learned!

enjoyyourpix and michelepixels like this.