Document the Everyday Challenge

Discussion in 'Document Your December Layouts' started by jenn mccabe, Nov 9, 2017.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

This year’s DYD forum is filled with inspiration for how to document your December - the designers have a huge assortment of gorgeous new products ... and the Pollys have you covered with ideas for daily prompts, pre-planning with foundation pages, different ways to approach a DYD album, and even how to tackle the dreaded album cover.

But some of you may be like me and thinking …

• we don’t do daily Christmas “stuff”
    • our holidays are small and quiet
    • my kids are older/teens/grown
    • I don’t have kids
    • we don’t celebrate Christmas
    • we only really do "Christmas/holiday stuff" the day of and/or the day before
    • I just won’t have enough “stuff” to make a whole DYD album
    • the holidays make me sad/are hard emotionally

Well I’m here to encourage you to think about doing a DYD album in a different way, by documenting the everyday. You could approach a whole album in this manner or use some of these prompts for fillers in your more traditional DYD album. Your DYD doesn’t have to be 31 days of “holiday & celebrating” type of activities, it doesn’t even have to be 31 days/pages.

I’m challenging you to scrap one page to document the everyday. Any size or format is acceptable. Think about the little everyday things that make your December unique to you. Things to consider:

• First bit of snowfall or capture a photo that really captures the weather this time of year for you. Is it warm or cold where you live?
    • Do you cook more hearty meals or do more baking - what’s your favorite thing to drink/make/eat? Do you have a favorite flavor of tea or coffee unique to this time of year?
    • Does your schedule change? Do you spend more time cozying up under a blanket? Or is it finally warm where you are and you are outside all the time?
    • What is your favorite spot inside your house this time of year? Outside your house?
    • Is it so much darker when you get home from work?
    • Capture a shopping trip … you could take photos of a pretty seasonal display, photograph your cart filled with holiday wrapping paper, bows, gift tags or gifts. Or even filled with the basics - paper towels, fruit, bread and milk! Or maybe capture your shopping cart filled with items for baking a special pie or cookies … or even the ingredients for dinner?
    • Are there special events at work, school or within the community this time of year?
    • What do you do with your pets this time of year?
    • Are you planning anything special that is not holiday related - a fun concert, get-away, time with friends, or date with your partner?
    • Do you get a great bonus from your boss? What do you spend it on? Or do you stash it away in savings?
    • What’s on your playlist this time of year? Your TV binge list?
    • What’s your favorite outfit or thing to wear?
    • What kind of activities or crafts do you enjoy working on/doing?
    • Are there charity events or volunteer activities you participate in?
    • If you don’t do a lot of baking/decorating/gift giving … capture the neighborhood lights, the store displays, baked goods at your grocery store/market, community decorations this time of year.
    • If you have kids is this the time of year a special winter sport gears up and has you running around frantic? Do you participate in something special this time of year?
    • Is work extra stressful or more relaxed?
    • Do you look forward to new movies that get released this time of year?
    • Do you visit with more friends/family this time of year? Meet new people?
    • Capture the details and wonder of nature (zoom in on a beautiful pine cone or berries) or shoot a gorgeous December landscape.
    • Capture the details of the things around you ... cozy blankets, your favorite mug, a stack of books you plan to read, your boots, your car with frost on it in the AM.

Remember - you get to decide what works for you! Start with one page to complete this challenge and see where it goes from there? All of your photos could be from the same week or even just a few days. Anything goes ... it's your DYD after all!

Here are some sample pages of “capturing the everyday” of December.

Here's a 4x6 page by Polly Jenn @jk703 showing her son making a favorite December appetizer.

[​IMG]

Here's a page by Polly Natascha @bcnatty showcasing family fun and time spent outside in the snow!

[​IMG]

And one by me in a 6x8 format with a detail shot of the snow falling on our evergreens. I just wanted to capture the beauty of our winter season/weather.

[​IMG]

Now it’s your turn to document the everyday of your December. I can’t wait to see your pages! And please share any other ideas you can think of to inspire us to document the everyday!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Christina W, cfile, bbymks5 and 5 others like this.
  2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I'm tempted to try a DYD. I like the idea of it as a documenting the everyday would be the approach, as we don't normally start Christmas related stuff until at least the 2nd week if not later with a birthday at the beginning of the month.
    Thank you for the inspiration.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  3. jenn mccabe

Absolutely @Angela Toucan ! My kids are older and we don't do a lot of holiday stuff before the last 2 weeks either. We are rather low-key. I never thought I could make a DYD album ... but when you approach it from the idea of "your December" and what works for you ... I think anyone can do one. Mine will be more like "31 things" rather than "31 days of December" because I know I will probably not have a photo for each day .... or maybe 25 things and 25 days.

I'm going through the other threads - and making a list of photo prompts that would work for me (so I can remember to take photos of the things I do know are possible or that we do indeed participate in) and then I plan to fill the rest of the album with "everyday" stuff. I am so excited to get myself over the hump of thinking I didn't fit in with a DYD album. This will be my first too. :)

Serena and keepscrappin like this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Thanks for all the FAB ideas. I especially love your photo of the snow falling on the branch. It's so beautiful and really captures the feeling of the season. I too have felt like I couldn't do DYD because I was too busy or didn't do enough celebrating until later in the month, but you are inspiring me to look at it differently. I'm in love with all of these DYD examples and would really LOVE to give it a try. I like your idea of 25 things or days. I could probably do it if I kept it simple. Plus completing a simple DYD album may be just what I need to give me a boost to finish some of the many other albums I've got going. THANKS for the push Jenn! :tree

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Serena and jenn mccabe like this.
  5. jenn mccabe

All of us trying this for the first time ... we can share and inspire/motivate each other. It's definitely a busy busy time of year Kayla @keepscrappin . You sound like me with the endless projects yet to be completed. I look at this as a fun, light project. For me I get stressed when I have to cull 100's of photos from a vacation into one album so I shy away from it. Maybe we can talk after MOC about all those other unfinished projects LOL!

But this is small, contained ... and a chance to play with my camera throughout the month. Capturing a limited # of photos specifically for a project, rather than culling hundreds down. I don't know ... it appeals to me. I agree, simple is the answer! Please share any pages you do here! I 'd love to see your approach! :beat

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

@jenn mccabe and @keepscrappin Thinking of the project as 25 or 31 things instead of days definitely helps! I've started a list of things, either inspired by Rae's list or in addition to it, so I have ideas ready so I can make sure I get photos during the season. My kids are older too and we don't do as many Christmas things like we used to. Some of the things I do each year are document any new ornaments we added that year (ornaments are our usual souvenir when we travel), I'm going to try to pick a decoration and tell the story behind it, last year I did a page with the recipe for something we make every year... I'm sure there's more, but I'm drawing a blank. I may even sneak a heritage photo (inspired by the challenge here) in, maybe a then and now type of thing. Oh... I also document the starbucks cups each year :giggle Another everyday thing I just thought of could be a stack of cards you received in the mail. So many options even if there aren't as many activities!

keepscrappin and jenn mccabe like this.
  7. jenn mccabe

Fabulous insight and ideas @tkradtke - Your DYD book you were working on is gorgeous! I'm a fan! Please keep sharing ideas, tips and tricks when you think of them!

-incorporate special stories behind the "things" is so great.
    -ornaments/souvenirs from traveling
    -add a recipe.
    -adding a heritage photo from Christmases past (see @MrsPeel 's DYD challenge in this forum!)

I'll probably collect everyone's ideas and add them up in the OP at some point.

MrsPeel and keepscrappin like this.
  8. keepscrappin

@tkradtke Awesome ideas Tracie! You're the pro at these types of albums (PL, DYD, Disney) and I so NEED your tips and tricks!

MrsPeel likes this.
  9. keepscrappin

YES, you've hit the nail on the head! It's the culling through 100's of photos that kills me. I really need to get going on my son's mission scrapbook, but I feel so overwhelmed. I finally got a start and did a two-page spread for his mission call. It took me a month to finish it though. I started those pages during DSD and just finished them last week. I think completing a simple DYD book will help me get excited again and give me a sense of accomplishment so I can tackle his book again. He only has just over 8 months left so I really need to get it in gear.

MrsPeel and jenn mccabe like this.
  10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

This applies to me.....my kids are grown, are family is small, we don't do a lot of activities during the season, so ideas and prompts the revolve around December in general, not just Xmas related stuff, works well for me.

I love all the prompts and I think your prompts and mine https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/dyd-journal-photo-prompts.50675/
    will work fabulously together. I'm going to add a link to your prompts over in my thread too. I think everyone will love having all these options to choose from.

MrsPeel and jenn mccabe like this.
  11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Lots of my DYD pages are everyday things! I try to choose one thing that represents that day, whether it be Christmas-y or not. I feel like we get so busy thinking about all things Christmas...the gifts, the wrapping, the cards, the food...that sometimes the little things get over looked, or we forget what else was going on at the time.

jenn mccabe and MrsPeel like this.
  12. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

The everyday is exactly what last years DD was LOL! I'm hoping our everyday this year isn't quite as boring as last years though :)

jenn mccabe likes this.
  13. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

awesome Prompts Jenn! I just love making December pages and I love seeing them too in the gallery!!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

LOL Boring is fine, too! I'm sure mine have been quite boring at times, but the way I look at it...it's the boring times that we tend to forget over time and they are important to remember, too!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  15. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I am so excited for December and may even start sooner.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  16. jenn mccabe

Exactly! I think this is why I never attempted DYD before! But I'm excited to try this year ... and embrace that boring! @bbymks5 I'm sure you love the album(s) you did anyway. :) I wish I had DYD albums to look back on.

cfile likes this.
  17. jenn mccabe

Go for it! A lot of people - it sounds like, do indeed start in Nov. There's Thanksgiving, black Friday shopping ... there can be so much that goes on before Dec. Especially if you are one who puts up your decorations now. I have a few things that happen in NOV that will most likely end up in my DYD! :)

18. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I don't really do much of the everyday in my DYD book as I still do PL at the same time.... but I was watching the videos Ali Edwards made of her DD books the other day and was struck by something she said. Basically to document the everyday, because this is what now looks like and next year it may be different. She was specifically referring to her very quiet Christmas eve of just her and her husband (their kids were with their ex-spouses that night). But it's true... it may feel the same as you're going through it, but little by little things change each year and how cool is that to have it documented!

19. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Still some ideas following around in my head. Rather than do a daily page, I am going to go with themes. I am also going to do a pocket/grid style so that I can add multiple day photos to the theme. For ex: a page on Christmas candy would have that we bought our first on batch on 11/13, then our restocks, our favorite kinds (or not), etc. I will pull from the list posted above to get my theme ideas.

I am thinking to use these templates as I already have them and will probably do a pocket-page style with them (i.e. mix of photos, cards, and journaling in the boxes).
    [​IMG]
    Although these might work too and be fun to change up the layouts:
    [​IMG]

Because I am not sure how successful this is going to be for me, I plan on including the pages in my family album, so they will be 12x12 in size.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  20. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

Awesome tips here!