Do You Fly A Lot??

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by KatrinaHunt13, May 17, 2017.

1. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I love to travel but hate to fly these days. It always seems to be such an ordeal to go anywhere now. We take about 10 flights a year and generally try to share one checked bag between us with a carry on.

2. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

We fly a couple of times a year, it's a bit of a necessity if we want an overseas holiday. Also cities in Aus are so far apart, unless you've got lots of time to spare, driving isn't practical. Our closest city is Sydney only 3 hours driving, after that Melbourne is 8 hours driving, anywhere else we fly and hire a car.

I wasn't a good flyer, tending to have panic attacks as soon as the plane door closed but on our first overseas holiday, we ran that close to missing the plane for the first leg (we had two other connecting flights after that) that the relief of actually sitting down on our plane overtook any panic I felt. Haven't been too bad since then. Having said that, we have run through way too many airports because we leave it to the last minute...

I hate the take off time and my husband hates the landing. I have never seen him more panicked than when we were on a flight between two Vietnamese cities, the pilot came on as we were landing and reminded everyone to leave any electronic devices turned off until we had landed and everyone took this as a sign to get their phones out and ring whoever was waiting for them. It was scary, bizarre and a bit funny once we had landed safely.

3. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

Being from Hawaii and now living in Boston, I've spent a lot of time on planes. When my Mom was dying nine years ago, I flew home every two weeks from September to December. Worth every moment on that plane to see my Mom's beautiful face.
    Thankfully, I didn't have kids then so it was easier. I used to be a huge worrywart about the safety of the flight but I've gotten somewhat better. The thing that's always been good is my need to control things with kids on planes. I'm super zen about the long plane flight with my kids. My older daughter has made nine trips out to Hawaii so far! People worry about kids and planes but here's the thing to remember: you are not trying to "get away with something" by bringing them on a plane. It's not like you brought your newborn into a fancy restaurant or a piano concert. Many times, air travel is the only way to get from A to B. In most cases, you paid for a ticket for your kid and they have every right to be there. Also, kids definitely take on the emotions of their guardians so if you're stressed out, chances are they will be too. I always tell my husband that stressing out about the occasional crying jag on a 12 hour flight is silly because it's really not going to fix anything. My motto is: it's either going to be a great flight or a great story! Also, chances are very good that you will never see any of those people again. ;)

4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

PCH up near Monterey nearly gave me a heart attack. I don't cry but my stomach clenches so much and I can hardly breathe. I will never do the Amalfi coast drive!!! car OR bus...nope!

janedee and jenn mccabe like this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

yup. we lived in SF bay area and would vacation up north. they would drive inland on the way (through the forests) and then nearly kill me on the coastal route on the way home. no guard rails on most of those roads. it's just you and the bluff and the water below. i had to hide under a blanket and not look! it's sad bc it so beautiful - it's a shame to miss that view. :(

6. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

nope. it's so expensive and i don't enjoy it.

7. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

Well I am wishing this three hour layover was done and I was home!!!! LOL LOL

8. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

I hate flying....but love to travel. We tend to fly maybe once a year.

Dislike that it is such a long process at the airport.

Also....soon this will be a funny story...but right now I am still irked. ..lol. but we flew from ft. Meyers today and tsa took our oreos and chips ahoy (red velvet flavour). We don't have this flavour in canada. So we were bringing them home. I put them in carry on so they wouldn't get crushed. Oh well...!

9. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I have done quite a bit of flying - for work and for pleasure. The older I get the less I enjoy it though!

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Why? Cookies are now banned?

11. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

I don't know....they said somethjng about being organic material. But they didn't take away our fresh bakery bagels with cream cheese that were also with us. Oh well!

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Apparently, they were hungry for your cookies? Weird. And frustrating!