Do You Fly A Lot??

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by KatrinaHunt13, May 17, 2017.

1. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

Me not so much. Not that I don't love it, but roomie doesn't like to fly so trips are usually driving.

Going on a trip thru Sunday and I am such a worrywart packer! So scared something will get taken at security that I am going to need. Last time I flew was several years ago.

I already shipped the birthday present of Chameleon Markers, because I was afraid they would get taken or stolen out of my bag!

And trying to fit liquids into that 1 quart bag just isn't working! At least I have a Kelly Moore camera bag that can double as a purse on the flight. Then, you know I had to pack a purse to carry! LOL

And then of course, I had to buy a scale, because I am one that could go over the weight limit!

ACK...good thing I was able to take today off just to pack!

2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I haven't flown in years. It was a hassle back then I didn't enjoy and I know now it is even more tedious. I'd bring my ereader to help pass the time. I never did like flying. My ears always plug.

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  3. KatrinaHunt13

Oh the iPad will be with me to entertain me!! Although...my flight leaves at 5:30 am....I may sleep! LOL

bcgal00 likes this.
  4. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I used to fly constantly for work but now my job doesn't require that which is perfectly fine by me. Flying has gotten to be so awful! I hate to even fly now for personal trips although we do at least a couple times/year.

5. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Nope...only time I've flown was for our Hawaii trip in 2015. Everything about it was so new to me that I over packed, my son had his hair gel taken away because the container was too big (he put it in his carry on instead of the large suitcase when we left the hotel the morning of our flight...doh) and I put as much on our carry on luggage as I could because I was so afraid our bags would get lost...flying is so stressful when it's your first time and you have children. LOL!

Hopefully next time I won't be so weird about it.

Hope you have a lovely trip!

6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

As a child I would fly from South Africa to Germany every 2 years to visit the family there.
    Now not so much. Saying that DS2 just flew to Johannesburg - a 2 hour flight so maybe I have passed on the baton.
    I still want to visit Hawaii though - it's on my list!

7. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I fly once or twice a year... I'm not a good flyer. My husband flies all of the time... pretty much every week, multiple cities (this week is London and somewhere in Switzerland, I lose track). The kids and I benefit from his miles. Clara and I are flying to California next month and we used some miles to fly my son to Springfield, MO to visit my parents over spring break. Saving the rest for a big family Europe trip someday... but we've been saying that for years.

Anyway... I check everything. I hate carrying anything on. I will take my laptop and my camera on the way there. On the way home, I've even been known to pack my camera in my checked bag (keeping the memory cards with me, not with the camera). My biggest stress last year was that I was afraid my favorite portable charger would get taken at security. I love that thing and use it a bunch on trips... I didn't want it to go away. No issues though.

My daughter just went to Guatemala with school over spring break. The teacher told them that she would prefer them to only pack carry-ons since their destination was over an hour away from the airport (they would not be able to go pick up a checked bag if it was delayed). Teen girls are not capable of packing all of their liquids for a week and half long trip in one quart bag. So... teen girl logic took over and they checked one community bag with ALL of their liquids (must haves were packed in their carry-ons). Thankfully it worked out okay... but that would have been one messy bag if anything would have happened to it!!

8. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

working for the airlines.. I try to fly at least somewhere at least once or more a month! I really want to see the world and hope that as soon as my passport is back in my hands to cross the seas and visit parts of Asia and Europe! .. I have a lot of scrapping buddies I need to meet! *L*

cfile, berniek and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I don't fly very often ... but having said that, I've had 2 vacations in the past month. One was a last-minute Spring Break trip cuz ticket prices were great. The other was a trip to Florida that I've mentioned here on TLP before so I won't bore anyone with more details lol.

Anyway, no matter how often a person flies, it's always stressful. Or at least, not-fun. ;) But it's always worth it once you get to your destination for VACATION! :) So have fun and enjoy!

10. KatrinaHunt13

UH...SPRINGFIELD??????? Dang....I read it wrong and thought you were coming here!!! LOL If you do, we will have to meet up!!!

tkradtke likes this.
  11. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I will definitely let you know next time I'm in town! My mother has been hounding me to make a trip soon. :-)

12. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Only for vacation which means every other year or so.
    I actually like flying and have been thinking about taking glide flying lessons. But it's so expensive and I also want to buy a house in the next years.

bestcee likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

In my first marriage, I did a lot of international flying and eventually that included 3 children. It was so so much easier back then! Now I dread it and have put off a lot of vacations because of the bother of the 'to-ing and fro-ing' these days. I can sleep on the transatlantic flights with one Ambien so that makes it a lot better.

Here in the US, I still don't enjoy it but getting to AZ or CA, it's a necessity. I'm so happy #2 son and wife are in Boston cause that's either a train ride or a really short flight that connects so easily to the T.

14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This seems pretty brilliant to me.

I hate flying. I would rather drive, even though it takes longer. The first time I flew with my baby - he was about 1 month old. His carseat wasn't airline approved, so I didn't buy him a seat. The flight was overbooked, and there were too many carryons. The gate agent wanted me to check my diaper bag. And was super insistent about it. It wasn't a huge bag either! Then, we board, I put it under the seat in front of me, and the flight attendant wanted to take it and put it under the plane so the man next to me could use the spot instead. I was so ticked. And yes, I kept my diaper bag.
    The flight home from that trip, same situation. Overbooked plane, and the gate agent insisted I check the diaper bag. Now, I only have a diaper bag and a baby. I do not have a purse, or any other carryon. This time I was pretty vocal and pointed out every so sweetly that the 4 hour plane ride would be pretty miserable for every passenger if my baby is screaming the whole time because his bottle and his diapers are under the plane. She finally go the hint and went to bug some of the other people with 3 or 4 carryons. Including the one with a full length wedding dress.

I always get the slip of paper that says the luggage people had to "randomly" check my bag, so I always worry something will be stolen out of it. The first flight I ever took the engine caught on fire, so we had to return to the airport. And ever since then I've been cursed. I hate flying with a passion.

I hear that overseas airlines are much better, so I dream of trying them out someday. And when I get to go to Europe someday, it will be on a non US company!

15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I do not like to fly. I have mucho anxiety.

I have learned, though, to pack light. I reassure myself that I can always purchase toiletries at my destination. I don't check bags anymore. Everything is in a carry on and I have an extra large purse. If the weather permits and I'm not too sweaty, I usually rewear jeans and shorts and change out blouses and jewelry. I tend to travel with a lot of black, my preferred color anyway LOL.

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love to fly because it means I'm going somewhere fun and away... but it takes SO long to get to the airport, park, check bags, go through security and then wait to board and then get bags etc. The flights can be short, but it still takes up a whole day always. And yes, I ALWAYS overpack. I'm that person that is taking out of the checked bag and shoving them in my carry on at the baggage check in because my bag is always too heavy. It drives my hubby nuts. Lol

17. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

As much as I gripe, I also do feel for my husband and his size 14 feet. One pair of spare shoes takes up half his suitcase. He has problems with his feet so depending on one pair for a week is not an option. While I've learned not to overpack and still pull things out of the suitcases (at home!) I was burned last December when it was much warmer in the UK than I anticipated. That spare sweater could have been a short sleeved t-shirt or blouse. And finding clothes out of season is not very easy.

One thing I did learn from my dh was that there is always a Target/Walmart within a short drive from the airport - in the US. Once on a drive from MD to Opelousas LA, I realized I forgot my makeup/toiletries bag. First big drug store resolved that! having that happen overseas is not always so easy, especially when you don't have a car.

18. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I've only flown once. When my daughter Anna was 4 months old. I went and visited my sister who lived in a different state at that time.
    Now my daughter Anna is expecting a baby in Aug. So I WILL be checking flights after her daughter is born and when there is a great price on a flight even if it leaves that day I will be booking it!

bestcee likes this.
  19. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I'm pretty sure that I've only flown 3x in my life -- when I was 3 or 4, when I was 12, and then once as an adult in 2004ish. Flying as an unaccompanied minor back in the 90s was pretty awesome. I don't know if they even still have that program now.

Flying doesn't freak me out, generally, but thinking about flying over an ocean does. As if I would have a better chance of surviving if the plane crashed into the ground vs. into the water. :eyeroll I think it's a drowning phobia.

I so badly want to travel overseas, though, so I'll have to get over that!

20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Not so much anymore. In my 20's I had a job where I traveled (by plane) 3 out of 4 weeks a month. But that was when the security and travel restrictions were so much more lax. I can't imagine traveling like that today. I love to fly ... though ... not much scares me. I've flown in puddle jumpers in a lightening storm and watched the wipers on the front of the plane and saw the lightening streaks in front of us. I've been tossed around with things falling out of the over head bins and pretty much can keep my cool. I don't know what it is about being up in the air ... it doesn't scare me. But drive me over a bridge or along the CA coastal highway ... and I cry like a baby! :giggle

yellowpeep likes this.