Disney Art journal scrapping with "regular" kits?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Feb 15, 2017.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Tootin' my horn here. Here is my shot at it, but it doesn't seem like a true AJ-type page. I really like the way it turned out, but it's almost like a hybrid traditional-AJ page. Am I right? I did blend two papers for the background, use a mask for the photo, and didn't shadow some things. :giggle
    And I didn't use a template. :faint2

[​IMG]

wvsandy, keepscrappin, Karen and 4 others like this.
  2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Beautiful page! I love it! I don't think that there is a specific "true" type of AJ. It's up for interpretation which can vary. I interpret AJ as any medium that expresses an emotion/feeling, tells a story, has some kind of meaning. Design-wise I think of AJ as more freeform, not having so much structure, using paints, masks, overlays, etc.

Now if you ask the next person, I bet they will have a different answer :) So, bottom line, let out what is inside, try not to feel constricted in your design...just let it out!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Looks art Journaly to me. There are no rules and with the picture colored and background it looks great.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@QuiltyMom BTW...I too think of my AJ pages as a type of hybrid/artsy version.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Looks great!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. QuiltyMom

Thanks! Now it's time for bed. I'd rather scrap. :-)

MrsPeel likes this.
  7. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Love what you made Jan!!!!!
    is 2 am now, but tomorrow I ll look for some Disney pages I made that are more artsy than "straight" LOs.... one thing comes to mind, that was one page of yours, when I first "met you" here that got me drooling over your gallery.... the page with the Mad Hatter photo..... that can make an AWESOME AJ page.....
    is late now, I ll come back tomorrow to carry on on this one :)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Jan, it's gorgeous! @QuiltyMom

Everyone will tell you there are no rules to Art Journaling. There are - your own wacky rules - you just have to learn to ignore them and let the creativity flow. That is way easier to say than do. At least of me. I'm more plain/simple, and less flexible. AJ is VERY flexible in my eyes, and many things aren't flexible in life, so I have trouble and don't know how to "control" the creation.

If that makes ANY sense, :giggle

Mylinn and QuiltyMom like this.
  9. QuiltyMom

Good to know! It's funny how people, like me, have preconceived ideas about what things are and how they heed to be done. I see these absolutely stunning AJ pages in the gallery and just drool over them, which in my mind has made them the "standard", and that I "need" to do mine that way. Jude's I gotta get over that! Ha!

I never even considered that an AJ page! Huh.

Thanks, Jenn. And yes, that does make sense. Just beat my drum the way I want! ;-)

Mylinn likes this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

you did great Jan.. Art Journaling is whatever you want it to be. I love the blend work here!! Well done!

11. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Love your LO, Jan! I didn't read through most of the replies yet. But... I have a "tag" on my templates for "blendy" :giggle I used to be on Created by Jill's creative team, and she has these templates called "blendits" - they are basically layers upon layers of masks and textures, so you can do exactly this.... AJ with "regular" kits.

Some of our Lilypad designers have similar options as well. Etc by Danyale has the grunge overlays, so using those stacked multiple layers high... Little Butterfly Wings has masks galore, as well as 12x12 borders, and there was an M3 add on of templates last year. Paula has a few borders and lots of grunge masks, Tangie has lots of paont and mask things you could layer. Just Jaimee added a pack of grungy mask clippers to her storyteller asher (I think- maybe Kenner) in 2015 because that was my winner's choice from her storyteller challenge the month prior.

Basically, masks and layer blend modes... clipping papers and photos.... here are some of my page examples...

this one is a blendits template with a kit by Amy Wolff I think.

This is the just Jaimee storyteller clippers thing.

Hope that's helpful!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  12. QuiltyMom

Yes, it was! Thanks! I'm a very visual person and having these examples helps me out a lot. And I adore the idea of templates for this sort of thing. I work so much better that way, anyway. Besides, the store is just packed with so many goodies that sometimes it's hard to find things. I get lost drooling over everything...

I was also thinking about Lynn Grieveson's templates that have a lot of blended spots on it, pared with some of her masks - which I already have. A good place to start.

wvsandy and klee73010 like this.
  13. sahlink

sahlink sahlink

I'm just seeing this thread!!! Love all of the great ideas given in here!!
    We do have some items in kits and packs that can be used for art journaling... like @AnneofAlamo said, I think anything could be used for art journaling. Just get comfortable with blend modes, clipping masks, etc. Great page @QuiltyMom Great blending technique.

AND**** there *may be some fun "art journal-eque" type of items coming for the Project Mouse Fanniversary!!
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/project-mouse-fanniversary-2-coming-soon-save-the-date.47581

14. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I would say try to maybe fill paint with your disney papers? I've never tried an artsy disney page, but you're inspiring me to give it a go.
    and I'm intrigued to hear about this **may be** item for the fanniversary!!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  15. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

How did I miss this thread for so long? I'm really lovin art journaling after MOC and Anne's skinny challenges.

Here's a layout that I would consider AJ-ish and it doesn't use an AJ kit. It was for MOC 4 back in 2016. The challenge was to do a double or triple photo exposure. I also played with crazy photo treatments for my blended photo. I agree with the others that blending photos and papers with blend modes and layer masks allows you to use any kit for art journaling.

[​IMG]

sahlink and QuiltyMom like this.
  16. Mylinn

Mylinn What's that old bat up to now??

Have you tried Gimp? It is free, sorta like Photoshop (many of the same features just with different names and steps to accomplish). Before I got a Photoshop subscription, I used it for years along with Photoscape, ACDC, a freebie I can't remember and a free at the time Pic Monkey online. Between them and lots of gimp tutorials, I managed to get no cost results.

I don't know that I have a fixed style in my AJ stuff. I just play. It's getting easier and easier because somewhere I read something like: Digi scrapping is for recording memories, AJ is for expressing emotion, recording emotion, feeling emotion, playing, and more stuff that basically said, all bout the artist. Another quote I snagged from one of Tangie's classes - not all art has to be BIG art. A BFF wants me to take a stab at telling a story with an AJ page (she is NANOWRIMO addict).

Love this thread and all the comments!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  17. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

18. QuiltyMom

I love this page, Kayla! Thanks for the great idea inspiration. Sometimes I "get" thins better after I see an example. I'm so into minimal scrapping these days that I need to start thinking out of the box again!

I've downloaded GIMP but I can't figure it out. I'll need to set aside some time to devote to it. I'm an Artisan 5 person and I'm just spoiled by how easy it is. GIMP doesn't look that easy-yet!

19. Mylinn

Mylinn What's that old bat up to now??

Sadly, it isn't until you get some time in the saddle. Part of why I left it for PS was a BFF had made the switch (she was my er go to question answerer, lol).
    When I first began with Gimp, she suggested that I pick one thing I wanted to do (say blend layers) and do just that one technique at first. There are some really nice free tutorials out there. I'd point you to my fave but it seems to have left the web.
    I just checked the interwebs and Paint.Net program is free and has layers. Gonna DL it and see if one can blend with it. Windows only I think. There is something called Artweaver (free) but it looks to be mainly photo editing. Anyone know more?

20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:eek::sense:peekin -:sorry can't wait to see your angsty page though LOL