Disney Art journal scrapping with "regular" kits?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Feb 15, 2017.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Ok. That posted before I was ready.

Question for y'all. How do you art journal with regular kits? Like, if I wanted to do Disney art journaling with all the Project Mouse stuff? I really don't want to purchase anything more, but it's not all artsy like the stuff that's made for AJ. Make sense?

@AnneofAlamo - any thoughts?

MrsPeel likes this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

long ago, when Scrap Orchard was first taking its first bite of ARt Journaling, they invited our @Tangie Baxter to guest. Your question was one many of the scrappers wanted to know. They had EHDs filled with what they considered "regular" scrap kits, but mainstream scrap designers. So, as a team we took this challenge, and made many pages with the designers in their store.

I create pages in art journaling, I capture memories on my regular scrap pages. I love doing both, but the creating side of me needs to be fed to keep the memory side of me flowing.

So...............show me a kit, you would like to see art journaling done with, and I will give it a whirl...and see if you are inspired to play.
    because I am an art journaling pusher, and try to addict as many scrappers as she can.

3. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

WHAT??? You shouldn't art journal with a regular kit!!! OOPS! I do it all the time!!!! Only kidding! Hummmm, now that would be interesting. Do a Disney art journal layout with a non Disney kit.

bellbird and Juliestcyr like this.
  4. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

When I first read this one person instantly came to my mind. @AmberR seems to be pull this off all the time! It seems to me finding good masks to use with the "regular" kits can make any kit artsy!

bellbird, keepscrappin and wvsandy like this.
  5. AnneofAlamo

my main problem is that I am not a lover of Disney. Mickey has creeped me out since I was a kid. I don't like theme parks, nor rides. (I think my life is enough of a roller coaster perhaps). So I might do a very angst MIckey art journaling page...I am inspired, need to hack the mouse! bhahhaha

Tree City likes this.
  6. QuiltyMom

My main problem is that I'm a total lover of all things Disney. ;-)

Maybe the question to ask is, what basic supplies are needed to help adapt regular kits for this purpose?

We have a severe lack of expendable income due to having a figure-skating DD, with one kid in college and another there in 2 years. While I do have a small budget for digi-scrapping purchases, I don't want to go out and get lots of stuff that I may not use very much. And since approximately 1/2 of all my current digi kits are Disney themed, I really can't justify purchasing much more. Make sense?

Here's what started this whole thought process: http://capturingmagic.me/episode-61-art-journaling-the-magic

The podcast is by Tangie, and I'm going to listen to it today. It's the castle illustration they use in the advertising caught my eye. Iit's just a sketch of something in progress, but it made me think about doing a fun album cover for last summer's Disneyland trip, rather than experiencing the same-old panic of "what in the heck am I going to use for a cover???" and throwing something together last minute before sending it to the printer.
    [​IMG]

Maybe I can't cross over to AJ with the kits, but I needed to find out if, and how it can be done. Savvy?

7. AnneofAlamo

oh Tangie would put a tent up at Disney if she could!! yes yes you can do it!! I think she even has a class LIVE there for Art Journaling....that could get me pass that castle...lol

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. AnneofAlamo

that being said, the way cool technique that Farrah did for the MOC5, would be a gorgeous cover too!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

To me, adding some paint, handdrawn doodles/handmade items, and funky alphas (not a really crisp, clean alpha) helps to make a page feel Art Journal-y. Or you could clip a paint splat to a Project Mouse journal card, to give it an edgier feel. But frankly, I say go with your gut: if you think it's Art Journal, then it's Art Journal. Awhile ago, Cynthia @MrsPeel said I have a "minimalist art journaling" style, and that just clicked with me, cuz it's true: I don't make super "messy" AJ pages, but they're still AJ pages, ya know? So go with your gut. :)
    Also, perhaps looking at your PM supplies for color inspiration and then checking out the M3 kits for a month with a similar color palette will give you more bang for your buck (cuz you can use the HUGE main kit and any add-ons you like for the whole book).

ETA: I was typing while you were posting about that fun castle drawing. :) If you want a fun, Art-Journaling inspired cover, I wonder if there's already something in the store. If not, perhaps @sahlink and one of our art journal designers like Tangie, Paula, Rebecca, Lynne-Marie, Dawn, or Val (or some combo thereof, like the M3 designers...) could COLLABORATE! :beat:clappy:clap:circles:wub:cheer:dance That way you could get that Project Mouse feel with an Art Journaling twist. (And if this could happen BEFORE my own trip to Disney, that'd be great. Just sayin'. :flirty)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    bellbird, MrsPeel and QuiltyMom like this.
  10. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

@QuiltyMom , I have the same seed of an idea! My plan was to make a tribute page to each of the Disney movies I've seen. (My goal is to see every theatrical release. There are a few exceptions. Cars and Planes. A couple REALLY bad movies from the early 00's that don't deserve a page.) I think having a list might help me get my AJ mojo going.

My thoughts:
    - Styles that give things texture, particularly a creased or crumpled look.
    - Masks and overlays that make folds, or add pretty watercolour or painterly effects.
    - Get comfy with blending.
    - Try out @FarrahJobling 's amazing photo-to-sketch instructions from MOC5.

11. QuiltyMom

I LOVE blending.
    And I've been having fun with Farrah's technique, even though it's a bit more difficult to translate into Artisan.

I'm listening to the podcast, and it is frightening me. Seriously. All this talk about watercolors and sketching. I don't do it. I was an art major in college and settled on photography because I can't draw or paint. My camera is my medium and that's how I paint my photos. I journal by capturing the moment on "film" (I'm an old-school photographer. I miss darkrooms!) I'm a collage/fiber arts kind of person, but not a drawing/painting person. Like a smash book. Let me build the journal. I can get into that! But not get all artsy. I hope I'm making sense.

I'm also trying to expand how I scrap, and this is going waaaayy out of my comfort zone! That's why I'm putting this all out there...

Mylinn, Juliestcyr and Tree City like this.
  12. emileem

emileem Active Member

I am by no means an expert at art journaling, but I like to make ATCs because they stretch me creatively (you should join the monthly swap here, it is fun & FREE). Anyway, I think paint/glitter splats, filters for pics/paper, blending, word art, random elements here and there from a regular kit can make it seem artsy. HTH

QuiltyMom likes this.
  13. AmberR

AmberR Take that naysayers! Pink is my color.

yes, any kit can be used in an artsy capacity: get comfy with layer masks and blending modes!!

[​IMG]

14. QuiltyMom

@AmberR - this is exactly what I was thinking about!

15. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I KNEW @AmberR was your girl on this particular topic!

Karen and QuiltyMom like this.
  16. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

Did you figure out how to do Farrah's technique in Artisan? I have Artisan 4 and couldn't do it so I just used the site she shared with us that did the sketch...

QuiltyMom likes this.
  17. QuiltyMom

@rchansen Here's what I did for the challenge, using A5. Let me check on A4 to see if it transfers over.

For A4 - use Format/Filter/Stylize/Show Edges/with color. You can adjust the amount by increasing the smoothness. I next enhanced the lines by increasing the intensity Color/Hue/Saturation to 100%, then decreased the opacity to 40%.

What I didn't like was the opaque white background, which couldn't be extracted. Once I did extract the black lines as best as I could, but it wasn't what I wanted.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  18. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Most of my ideas have been covered -- blending, pencil sketch, paints, stamps, dare I say it -- extractions (a lot of journal cards are easy to extract). I did a book of my parent's 50 years but I needed to do it quickly. So I made like a journal -- I had the pics and date everything else was doodle looking. And it looked great -- I didn't know much about art journaling then, but just the stuff around a piece can make it feel more art journal-y. Good luck this sounds like so much fun.

19. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

@QuiltyMom - Another thing you can do in Artisan (easier in A5) is build your own mask. You can combine a bunch of your elements - mouse ears, bows, flowers, etc. Or you can combine a bunch of text (either flattened text boxes or pre-made elements). Either way, keep piling them on. You can change the opacity of any piece you add. You can erase parts of it, etc. Then flatten them to make an item to use as a mask (copy item, select photo/paper, Effect, Add mask, paste into mask box). You might want to make a copy of your pile before flattening so that you can go back and adjust it if needed.

I created a mask for the large photo of my son - the brown numbers are part of the photo mask I built on top of a more solid mask.The brown was the door behind him in the photo that I wanted to hide.
    [​IMG]

The mask for the lavender photo was a whole bunch of Lynn Grieveson text brushes piled on top of each other in this one.
    [​IMG]

QuiltyMom likes this.
  20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Oh and if you have some money for templates - Scrapping With Liz, Dawn Inskip, Lynn Grieveson, and Fiddle-Dee-Dee (and maybe others?) all have templates with built in blendy photos, background paints, stamps, etc.

I have always loved the "art journal" artwork before I knew about art journaling. So I use it often for regular scrapbooking pages. I totally think you could go the other way and use regular kits for an art journal look.

Also in Artisan - use the texture filters, soften the edges, cut the edges with a blended edge, try the artsy styles in the Stylize tab (like mosaic, oil painting, swirl, etc.) to change up how an embellishment/paper looks.

QuiltyMom likes this.