Digital Pin Exchange - April/May 2018 Edition!

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by Dalis, Apr 13, 2018.

1. nachtmol

nachtmol Active Member

My pins don't show up anymore in the March topic. There seems to be a problem at the postimg site. I'm going to use another host to keep my pins.

Hope your daughter is okay again Dalis!

Dalis likes this.
  2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

You can also do that for your enamel, you can do the big enamel and click on the fx and then go to the bevel fx and play with it until you see the effect you like.

3. Dalis

Are they in the preview? I just want to make sure I got them in the package.

4. mmbstaley

mmbstaley Well-Known Member

I think they look pretty good, so my guess is that the pin is too big while you are making it, because that matters a lot with these styles. If you are using the large enamel style it should show more depth reflection than it does. The styles are designed to work on images 1-2 inches in size at 300dpi. If you are using an element template designed for scrapbook designers it is going to be a lot bigger than you need for this use. You don't have to start over, just resize the file after opening it (and making a copy of it so you don't change the original 'just in case') using the Image>Resize>Image Size command. It will keep all off your layers intact, so it might take a minute or two if the file is big.

this is a full-size scrapbook element template. when you check the image size, you see it is 7x4.5 inches big at 300dpi.
    ImageSize-1b.JPG

You want the largest dimension to be no bigger than 600 pixels
    ImageSize-2b.JPG
    Here's my resized file - the rulers show it is 2x1.5inches now.
    ImageSize-3b.JPG

Here's what the styles look like on both sizes of the template with the large enamel and metal rim depth styles applied to appropriate layers; I stroked the wing layer with a 15px center stroke to make the rim:
    full-size (7x4.5 inches)
    ImageSize-4.JPG

resized (2x1.5 inches)
    Note: I did have to reapply the styles to the resized image to get it to change from the version on the full-size, as evidently PSE proportionally changes those as well during the process. I did not restroke the rim layer but left it the resized dimensions. I don't personally like strokes much bigger than 6-7 pixels on pins at this size. ImageSize-5.JPG

5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

@wombat146 just informed me that postimage is now .cc instead of .org - you can try going to the broken website - erase the .org part in put in .cc and then locate your image of your pins and share the new link.

i noticed the postimage . org sharing site not working with my signature recently.

6. mmbstaley

I have made larger pins than 2 inches during some of the months past. For those I kept it looking good by making sure that the largest individual section of my image is under the 1 inch size. Big, detailed pins are made up of lots of small sections, so it still works well ;) It all comes down to if you are happy with how the enamel and rim details look on the finished product.

7. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

8. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

Wow !!! That is a big difference. Did not

What an instant difference that makes !! Mine all look like the first on :(
    Oh well going forward I will do my sizing beforehand.
    Thank you so much for the visuals, they really help me.
    You ladies have been so helpful.
    Thank you :)

mmbstaley likes this.
  9. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

TaDa !!!!!! I think I got it :) Now I just have to remember what I did LOL

upload_2018-4-17_13-45-16.png

Dalis I sent you this pin named "test pin for dalis" to the pin Drop Box. Please have a look. The rim is a bit to thick now especially on the handle but I think the the enamel looks awesome. If every think looks ok I'll work on my rim size.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  10. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

It seems I am full of how to questions this week. I always have a problem posting the preview copy of my pins here. I have to double-click on the preview to place it in "view pic mode " and that is where I can use copy and paste options. I then paste it into the message box. I don't have any control over the size that way. Does anyone have a better way ???

11. jenn mccabe

yay ... looks great. i am giggling bc you sound like me. i can never remember what i did the first couple months of paying with this. after you do it a few months in a row it does become second nature. just keep revisiting the tutorials. and next time you go to do it , take your own notes too. :)

12. jenn mccabe

If you size your file down (the preview that you are trying to post here) in PS or PSE or whatever program you are using. keep it like 400x400 or 600x 600 ... and then you can go to Upload a File (pink button near bottom of the Reply thread). Upload your pre-sized file from your PC. Then you will see it at the bottom of the reply you are posting. There will be two pink buttons next to it: Thumbnail and Full Image. Select full Image. This will make it viewable in the thread without having to click. HTHs!

Oh wait - if you are previewing 1 pin - you won't want your preview to be 600x600 it will be too big. I usually do abotu 400x400 for a preview containing 6 pins at a time. The size works well.

Dalis and mmbstaley like this.
  13. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

Yea Jenn it actually makes me chuckle too. It usually takes me the whole first pin every month to set it in my memory again. I think once I get it all figured out this time I am going to keep track of each step. Half way through the first one I open your mini tutorial on pin making to refresh myself. Thanks for that by the way. I use it often:)

jenn mccabe likes this.
  14. Dalis

Yes, the enamel looks nice and w/ a gorgeous depth!!!!!

15. Dalis

Thanks so much for the pictures!!! That is what I was trying to explain but my brain is not working right lately. LOL!!!

mmbstaley likes this.
  16. mmbstaley

I'm starting to make some progress on the pins I want to get done for this month. I use PSE and getting clean lines from the free vectors available at a good size can be a challenge sometimes when you can only work off of pngs and jpgs, and I usually can't get the editor on Vecteezy to do what I want because of its limited options. I've done pretty well this last year, but it was time to move to something better. Since I've not been super impressed with the add-on options to PSE to get the Pen tool I kept looking. And I found a free drawing program that is like Adobe Illustrator: Inkscape. https://inkscape.org/en/
    It is open source like GIMP, so totally free. I've been playing with it today and have figured out how to do basic things, but I've got a ways to go. Anyway, throwing this out there for anyone else who might be wanting something that can give you good drawing and editing options for the svgs we find ourselves working with a lot of the time.

Dalis likes this.
  17. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

This looks like an interesting program, Thanks for sharing that :)

mmbstaley likes this.
  18. nachtmol

nachtmol Active Member

Yes, they are in the package Dalis!

Dalis likes this.
  19. nachtmol

nachtmol Active Member

Thank you Jenn, I could enter the site googling it and they changed in cc now indeed. I made a preview of the pins I made and post that in the March pin exchange board instead of all the separate pins

20. nachtmol

nachtmol Active Member

I made some BBQ items, since it feels like summer over here in Holland, although it is only April it's 28 degrees Celsius. Very unusual for this time of the year.
    [​IMG]
    And I'm pretty sure there will follow some rain too ;)
    [​IMG]