Digital Pin Exchange - April/May 2018 Edition!

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by Dalis, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

A few months ago Mommyish (Leah) released the Enamel Pin Builder and started a Pin Exchange.... which made a lot of us very happy and very addited to creating PINS! She also released an add-on with additional styles for your pins called Glittery Enamel Pin Styles. I will be the first one to say that I can't have enough of them! I can't WAIT to see all the pins from the exchange! AND.... I CAN'T wait to do this all over again this month! I sent Leah a private message to volunteer myself to run this challenge because I NEED to HAVE MORE PINS! This time we are going to follow a very loose theme.... drum roll please........ the theme is APRIL/MAY, SPRING, Mother's Day, End of School, Start of Summer break, etc... (Or anything you do during April or May )!

**** I added a new video on how I use the style/actions at the end of this post. It has some cute scarecrow pins!

Just in case you have no clue about what product I am talking about that revolutionized our pin making skills, here it is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did you hear there is a new Enamel and RIM styles in the store? I am going to try these for this month.

[​IMG]

Here are April/May PINS!
    [​IMG]

How do I even make a pin?!
    • Install the Enamel Pin Builder Styles & actions
    • Watch the video tutorials for your program - if you are still unsure - hit me up here and I will be happy to help you out. :) . @angiekey created the following step by step instructions for those that like written instructions better. HERE (I have posted the written instructions in the second post of this thread)
    • Have an idea! If you aren't sure look up "enamel pin" on pinterest and you flooded with ideas.
    • Get creative. <3 Use shapes, your brush tool, text, etc! Use other styles to create other interesting effects.
    Remember, since this is an item that will be shared with others - if you use outside graphics they have to be CU ok.

Still unsure - watch this video!

Drawing from scratch? Watch this one!

Some of you asked me to make a video on how I USE the styles and actions, here it is!

How do I save my pin for other folks?!
    • You will want to create a new document that is 300ppi in RGB format with a transparent background.
    • Keep in mind that pins shouldn't be GIGANTIC - ideally you will want your pin to be smaller than 2 inches. (600 pixels)
    • When you save your pin be sure to save it as a .PNG file (this maintains the transparent background)
    • Save the file as username_tlp-xchange_pinname.png for example I'd save mine as mommyish_tlp-xchange_rainbow.png
    • UPLOAD HERE
    [​IMG]
    I can not wait to see what you guys come up with! NO LIMITS ON NUMBER OF PINS :D

Deadline is May 31, 11:59pm EST

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Angela Toucan likes this.
  2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

@Dalis you've put the link to the Feb pins instead of the March ones, was that intentional?

3. mmbstaley

mmbstaley Well-Known Member

I'm guessing she will change it out in a bit - her post in the other thread said she was working on them right now ;)

Glad to see the new thread - been figuring out what I wanted to do for this month ;)

Angela Toucan likes this.
  4. Dalis

I posted that and within 2 mins of posting that the school called me that Bianca needed to be picked up from school and taken to the doc due to her asthma. We are finally back home. We didn't have to go to the hospital, but we might still need to go tonight. I still haven't finished the MARCH set.

5. mmbstaley

mmbstaley Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, Dalis. If it is not one thing, it is another lately seems like. Allergies have been horrible here this year. I hope her breathing settles down into a good place and you can avoid the hospital.

6. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Bless you @Dalis

The wonders of us all living in different Countries. Here in the UK Mothering Sunday is in March, and School Term ends in July. April or May .... hummmm? Maypole dancing isn't going to be easy to draw for a pin.

Mylinn likes this.
  7. Dalis

We literally had two days of decent weather and BOOM she is down wheezing and her asthma is terrible! My allergies are not great either.

8. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

Here is mine for April !!
    I have followed the instructions but my pins just don't seem to look right. Does anyone have any suggestions ??? I am using PSE 14. I am going to go through all the instructions again to see if I'm missing something. Thanks

upload_2018-4-16_11-2-53.png

jenn mccabe, merank and Mylinn like this.
  9. Dalis

I just saw your upload I will open one in Photoshop and look at them better. Did you used Mommyish styles?

10. Dalis

@spenny I just opened them in Photoshop and they look amazing. I think you could change the enamel depth if that is what's bothering you. Which of the style sets did you get? That way I can help you a bit more. Here are some questions:

1. Which style set did you get?
    2. Which one are you applying for the enamel part (or the colored/filled part)?

11. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

Hi Dalis , thanks for having a look for me.
    I'm using Mommyish Enamel Pin Builder Set
    I use the 15px rim with the enamel large

12. Dalis

A couple more questions, because they look great but they don't look like the enamel large.

1. Are you resizing the image before you start all the pin styles or after you finish?
    I find that sometimes if I forget to resize and then resize at the end I loose the look of the depth.

2. Do you want to try something and send me one of your files with all the layers? One of the pins before you flatten it out? Just upload it in the same DROPBOX as you put the pins and I can see if I see something different. btw. they are adorable, but I think what you mean is that you don't see the pronounced depth on them, right?

13. Dalis

One more thing you are not doing is running the action to add "depth" at the end. That gives it such a different look. To run that action, you need to:
    1. Have flatten out your layers.
    2. Have your border grey color (before you turn it into metal) set as your foreground color.
    3. Run the action.

14. Dalis

@spenny
    Sorry forgot to tag you in the previous post.

Here is an example of how your pin looks with and without the "GIVE DEPTH" action.
    sherry pennington - spenny_tlp_xchange_RubberBoot copy.png sherry pennington - spenny_tlp_xchange_RubberBoot.png

15. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

Oh...I always resize at the end. I do them in normal size mainly so I can use them in my layouts as is. When I have seen instructions about resizing they seem to be at the end. Also I have tried the metal pin depth style and all it seems to do is darken everything.
    I will try resizing first. If those don't seem any more defined I will send them on to you. And yes
    I don't see the pronounced depth and my rim size seems too small. Is there an easy way to increase the rim size??
    Don't know if I will have time today as it is going towards supper but hopefully tomorrow I will either succeed or send you the file. If I get one to look better I will post it here for you to see.

16. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Good, I’m going to give this a go again this month !

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Dalis likes this.
  17. Dalis

The Give Depth Style and the Give Depth ACTION are different. Did you see my images? If you notice, there is a bit more of an extra ridge on the right side of the pin that gets created by the action. It gives it a more 3D look.

For your other question about giving a bigger rim size. YES, TOTALLY! CLICK ON THE fx and then a window will open up. Click on the stroke. The style created a stroke, of 15 in your case, you can change it to be whatever you want!

18. Dalis

I'm excited for you!

19. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

I
    I had trouble using the action when I first started making pins so I have not been using the action. I read somewhere that it was not necessary so of course, I stopped trying to get it to work. I will see if now that I understand the process better I might be able to get it to work for me. I also kind of forgot about it being there. I also am starting with a CU template in most cases and most of them don't have outlines so I use the pin builder metal rim style to create that. So now that I have a few new things to try I will see if I can create a more stylish pin. Thank you so much for all your help.

Dalis likes this.
  20. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

Yes, I noticed the difference ...it looked a lot better ...not so flat looking on the page. I always thought that look had something to do with the under shadow. Thanks for the stroke size tip. I did not know that. That is going to come in handy :)

Dalis likes this.