Cut the Cable Cord

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bbymks5, May 21, 2017.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I didn't have luck logging into the ID Go app either...no cable no dice on the locked content :( booooo

We won't miss it as a whole, but I really miss ID LOL

2. bbymks5

We all watch YouTube on the TV's...they came with the app...you already know what the girls watch from your post, hubby watches photography stuff and I put on muisc lists I've created LOL!!

bestcee likes this.
  3. bbymks5

I have no idea what our bill will be without the cable bundle...all I have to say is it better be less than $100 LOL!!

Geez!!!! $230 is beyond insanity!!!! I had no idea there was a separate version of Netflix for Canada...why and what is different?

4. bbymks5

*happy dance* whoo hoo!!!! Thank you!!! Maybe I'll get lucky and Real Detective will be on Hulu or Amazon!!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

We only get a fraction of the American content yet it is a few dollars more. Amazon Prime is worse b/c we only get the Amazon content, no other shows, so there is something like 10 shows.

bbymks5 likes this.
  6. bbymks5

That's not cool at all :( I wouldn't be happy paying the same or more for way less content *shakes head*

7. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Yes, American people should really not complain about Netflix if you compare it to other countries... I still 'need' to watch things in dodgy ways if I want to see the same seasons or things some other countries can see.
    Even though I would probably complain if I were in the USA too, we just all want more, different and newer things, isn't it?

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have read many articles about this as we have our IP provider is Verizon, no issue there for a lot of high speed data lines that dh uses for business and I use for ...fun. Cable is DirectTV bundled with our AT&T cell phones. I have loved the Direct tv and seriously should consider cutting Netflix which I rarely watch now. I almost never watch any show live so having a recorded version that I can skip the commercials is really important and a lot of them are the main networks. No news, no weather gets watched. I don't recall how much we pay for Direct but I know it's 3 digits and is too much for just me. DH never watches anything except the Tour de France and I think he even stopped that after the Lance Armstrong scandals.

@berniek The Washington Post (Washington DC paper) described the late founder of one news channel as basing his channel on 'unending grievance'.

bbymks5 likes this.
  9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

We have been toying with cutting the cable for awhile now ... I think if our kids were out of the house we would just do it. We have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Showtime. We all prefer to just stream most of the time. I wish all the big stations would just offer individual streaming and we could just do away w/the cable packages already. There's probably only about 3- 5 networks/shows we still cling to the cable for.

bbymks5 likes this.
  10. Teri

Teri You bought a used lion?

We have not had cable for well over 7 years...We have Amazon prime, HULU and we also have Sling. We went with Sling for ESPN, HGTV, and Disney channel (but it has many more channels like A&E, Food Network, etc) for $20 a month.

bbymks5 likes this.
  11. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

When my DH flew to Amsterdam (well, he stayed in a small city outside of Amsterdam, but I digress), he forgot to keep his iPad on Airplane mode, so a LOT of the shows he had downloaded via Netflix were blocked cuz his IP address showed he wasn't in the US. He was bummed but he understood. Having said that, you are right: we all want more. The problem with the Internet is you can find out about cool shows ... only to realize they aren't available where you live. :(

berniek likes this.
  12. bbymks5

You are so right!!! I just wish everyone could pick channels ala carte without having to pay unreasonable amounts, being roped into two year contracts...and Netflix and the like should be consistent for everyone, no matter where they live...that still just blows my mind.

13. bbymks5

Netflix is a bore...I search by title and it seems 9 out of the 10 times they don't have what I'm looking for; the movies they put up are getting worse and worse (IMO) or are so overplayed, I rather sew my eye shut than watch them again. We don't watch the news, sports or weather either....used to watch football until they took the fun out of the game. I watch Grey's and This is Us and that's about it when it comes to regular network shows so I watch them whenever on Hulu...we really need to upgrade to the commercial free Hulu.

14. bbymks5

Yes!!!! I would LOVE to have an ala carte system...AMC and the ID channel, MAYBE one of the cartoon channels for the girls and that's it...I used to watch HGTV all the time, but all of their shows are the same thing, different hosts. PS as much as people pay for Amazon Prime and spend shopping on there, every show, movie etc should be included...just sayin LOL!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  15. bbymks5

I'll have to check Sling out...crosses fingers my ID channel is on there.

16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

For someone who didn't have a tv for the first 10 or so years I was back in the US, I have gone to the other side. I do watch a lot of network shows but only on demand. Let me see...Elementary, Madame Secretary, The Blacklist, Designated Survivor, Scandal (though I haven't watched this season), ditto with Quantico. I'm a sucker for government/spy shows. It's local and I can laugh when there's a street that we don't have in DC. So silly but fun.

For those of you who have cut the cable, how do you record? or watch on demand?

patsyt and bbymks5 like this.
  17. bbymks5

I wanted to like Quantico...but it drug on so I gave up mid season one.

I watch Grey's and This is Us on Hulu, they're loaded there the day after they run on regular TV.

18. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

I just saw this shared on LinkedIn and thought I'd share here...

Attached Files:

19. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

I also watch network shows including the ones you mentioned (with the exception of Quantico - was too slow when I watched it) as well as the NCIS and CSI shows. When we were going to MN for the summer we only had an antenna (not digital) for the local channels which we could then record. I had sling for several months and loved it. These days if you want network shows you almost have to have cable/satellite because you can't stream most of them online these days without putting in your provider information. Boo! We pay about $160/month for tv/internet(not so fast or reliable anymore since Spectrum bought out Brighthouse)/phone.

20. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

We cut the cord long time ago. We have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. When they have deals, I'll sign up for the apps. Just this month, I signed up for Showtime on Hulu for 1 month free. We have saved maybe $100 since we cut the cord, even with upgrading our internet package. I don't miss it. My kids tend to watch Youtube or Netflix so they don't know what they are missing with regular tv :)