Cut the Cable Cord

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bbymks5, May 21, 2017.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

A couple weeks ago we cut the cord on cable...we have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime...but I'm not impressed with any of them.

I'm having major withdrawals not being able to watch the Investigation Discovery channel :( I do have the app on my phone, but a lot of the shows I really like are locked because we don't have cable.

If anyone has an Amazon Firestick with the Kodi app, are you able to the shows on that channel? How do you like it?

2. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I haven't cut the cord on cable yet but I am seriously considering it. My only problem is that we don't have a "high speed" internet so I am not sure I can watch much shows online.

bbymks5 likes this.
  3. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

We ended up going to the very basic cable (local channels only with one box) with internet that gives us access to using an Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter... which we purchased that way any app we have on our phone we can hook it up to the tv and watch! Most apps will ask for your cable email and password to beable to watch.
    It was well worth the money we save to watch tv this way.
    We are able to watch live sports too which is important to my hubby.

Not sure where you live? If you download the Investigation Discovery Go app it should show you which cable companies they use. For some reason they don't use ours. We have been able to use all other ones we have downloaded.

I look at this as rethinking the way you view what you watch.

We also just couldn't justify spending as much as we were just for a monthly entertainment cost.

We pay for Amazon. But also have Netflix and Hulu which my daughter pays for.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    bbymks5 likes this.
  4. bbymks5

We don't have the fastest internet in the world either...occasionally we'll have some problems with the programs loading and the picture getting a bit fuzzy, but it hasn't been in a huge issue.

We just couldn't justify paying almost $200.00 a month having the DirecTV and CenturyLink cable/internet bundle when there were only a handful of channels we watched.

5. bbymks5

Silly question...would we have to have an Apple brand TV or will the device work with any smart TV?

Cable is just so high priced...bleh!!

6. Sokee

Do you have internet with the cable company? Try putting in your email and password, that is showing the 'app' you have a paid account with that cable company.
    Like I said above.

bbymks5 likes this.
  7. Sokee

We have a panasonic smart tv.

Our bill was $190 a month and we are now paying $70. That is with high speed internet and basic channels, which are the locals also have local pbs one box

Hubby does like to watch local news

We have Charter Cable

bbymks5 likes this.
  8. bbymks5

We use CenturyLink for cable and had DirecTV for cable. I'll have to try.

9. bbymks5

Oh cool!! We have a Vizio smart TV so it should work! I told hubby to look into the Apple device, he's a lot smarter than I am with techy stuff LOL

10. Sokee

We purchased ours from Amazon lol

Just looked we paid $53.99 for it off Amazon

bbymks5 likes this.
  11. bbymks5

That's cheaper than a FireStick with the Kodi app!!

Our cable/internet bill was $190.00 as well!! Total insanity!

12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

We've been living with Netflix and a few local channels for a long time now! I think we are just so used to it...we don't really know what we are missing on Cable.

bbymks5 likes this.
  13. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I am seriously shocked about the prices you name!!
    I pay €30 a month for wifi and cable. I know where talking about a different country, and that is a pack with just the 'normal' channels but that is HUGE difference from the $200 a month @bbymks5 is talking about. Even if I had the extra paid channels, I would not even go near half that figure!
    And so I completely understand about discontinuing the cable contract.

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  14. bbymks5

We've had Netflix for a few years now, bu it seems like the selection of movies and shows keeps getting worse. Maybe I'm just too picky??

It's total insanity here in the states! We had the middle of the road DirecTV package too, no sports package, no movie channels...just paid for a bunch of trash so we could have the cartoon channels for the kids, my ID channel and AMC so the hubby could watch the Walking Dead.

15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We cut our cable about a year and half ago. I haven't missed it a bit, but I never watched much tv. I did enjoy ID and TruTV from time to time. We have Netflix, Amazon, and pay for HBO (DH likes it). Our bill was right at $200 a month and now it's $75 for unlimited high speed internet. I don't have any luck trying to watch any of the streaming apps like ID and others. Even though we still have the cable company's internet, it says we are not authorized to view any of the streaming because we don't have tv service. We have a digital antenna to pick up local stations. We get CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox. We got it for football season :)

bbymks5 likes this.
  16. Sokee

@IntenseMagic
    Jan, this is good to know, we kept the very basic cable and we have been able to sign up and watch cable app channels. As I said we now pay $70 a month. And that includes our high speed internet,unlimited
    Apps we have
    Fox sport
    Hallmark
    Bravo
    HGTV

For now

bbymks5 likes this.
  17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My brother set my mom's up. It was super simple, he followed a YouTube video. He bought the firestick from Amazon.
    It works. It's not perfect, and sometimes you have to try a few streams. All the kodi is doing is pulling show streams from online. If you connect a computer to your TV you'd get the same streams - better if you ethernet it. We routinely use the YouTube app on our TV to watch shows too.

bbymks5 likes this.
  18. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

We are cutting cable tomorrow! YIKES!

Sokee and bestcee like this.
  19. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

If you think you have it bad, try living in Canada and see what is offered. It sucks. We pay about $230/mth for cable/phone and internet. We're looking at downgrading at some point soon. I'm tired of paying a fortune when I don't watch many of the channels and can watch many shows online. We have netflix but the Canada version is pretty sucky as is our local provider on demand selection. I think everyone is getting fed up with TV costs everywhere.

Sokee likes this.
  20. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Sokee and bbymks5 like this.