Curly or straight | pad patter 9.18.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Sep 18, 2017.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I usually wear my hair straight, but love how it looks curly. I just don't like having to curl it. I guess I'm just lazy and can use the flat iron to straighten it faster than I can use the wand/rod to curl it. I've been burned a few times with the wand so maybe that's part of the reason I steer clear of it. I do love it when my DD 17 curls my hair and wish I could get her to do it more often.

My girls have lovely naturally curly hair, but it gets frizzy so they have to either straighten it or put curls in. I wish I knew of a product that would keep their curls looking good throughout the day.

How about you, do you wear your hair curly or straight? Do you use a curling iron, wand, flat iron or just go all-natural? Do you have a goto product that you love to keep your hair from frizzing out? Inquiring minds wanna know...

MrsPeel likes this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to have straight hair that I would perm WAY back in the day.... then I had babies and my hair started deciding to be curly. So weird. I used to dry it straight and then flat iron it which takes me forever. I have thick hair. for the last year or so I've been wearing my hair curly and it's SO much healthier. I would get split ends something fierce from all the heat from the flat iron. Now whether I do my hair straight or curly I use Moroccan Argon oil to reduce the frizzies. You have to have the right type of hair though... my hair just sucks the oil up and I never feel oily or greasy. If your daughters have thin hair or tend to have oily hair anyway, this isn't an option. I get the kind from the grocery store for around $5-6 so you could try it for minimal cost. There is also a spray that's a good middle of the road product too. I also love the Herbal Essence Tousle Me Softly mousse. It's also really cheap, but let my curls stay defined for most of the day with the overly crunchy feeling. Also only partial dry your curls and then let them finish air-drying for less frizz.... and use a diffuser. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

MrsPeel, Juliestcyr and keepscrappin like this.
  3. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I have wavy hair and I do nothing with my hair. I wash it and leave the house with wet hair and let it dry by itself.
    At the hairdresser she always straightens my hair out and I like the look but I would never spend the time in front of the mirror to do it myself.

Juliestcyr and keepscrappin like this.
  4. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

One of my earliest memories is of me getting ready for a trip to Sears Portrait Studio when I was 2. I was wearing a yellow dress, and my Mom and Grandma were trying to curl my hair with a curling iron for the photo, but it wouldn't hold. My mom, her sister and her mom all have curly hair, but I inherited fine, straight hair from my Dad. Even now, no amount of product will hold the curl for more than 2 hours. Eventually my Grandma gave up and said, "at least she inherited her father's teeth. Bob always had good teeth."
    I recounted this story when I was in my teens, and my Mom confirmed it all happened exactly as I remember it.

Christina W, jesskab and keepscrappin like this.
  5. Lor

Lor you've always had the power, my dear

I have straight hair and wear it short... no fuss style. I blow it dry and shape it with hair spray and I'm good to go for the day. :-)

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

This is what I use for my curls, a TINY BIT is only needed less than a dime size drop!

[​IMG]

Tree City and keepscrappin like this.
  7. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I have curly hair and I hear you - the struggle is real to prevent frizz! LOL There are two products I swear by for keeping the curls in shape. I moisturize my hair with It's a 10 and then set the curls with Alterna Beach Spray. Just scrunch and air dry. It's pretty low maintenance but does great for my hair.

It's 10 plus Keratin miracle leave in spray - you can get this at Target, Ulta, etc
    [​IMG]

Alterna Beach Summer Ocean Waves - it's a texturing spray that does WAY better than any mousse, gel, cream, etc without buildup or heaviness. You can use it on wet hair or dry hair as a curl refresh. I get this online at Sephora or Amazon.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    A-M and keepscrappin like this.
  8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've got fine straight hair so curling is way too much trouble and requires a ton of hairspray but I will shape it a bit with blow drying and then finish up with a round dryer brush to put a bit of shape into it. By the end of the day its back to being just plain old straight again b/c I keep tucking it behind my ears and pull any curl/shape out of it by then.

9. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I think you can tell by my avi that my hair is curly. However, I normally wear a bun, which makes it look like I have straight hair. When I'm so inclined, I use Pantene Styling Custard. The key is using it lightly so the curls don't dry crunchy.
    81Tu0yBYjBL._SY355_.jpg

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have wavy hair and I've always just washed, combed and go. I don't like putting products in my hair.

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have almost always had curly hair and tortured it over the years to get it straight (to please my xh). Once divorced, I found a good hairdresser who had more curls than I did and he got my hair back in shape. Now I just get it cut at Hair Cuttery and wash and wear. In the winter, I stand in front of our gas fireplace, and it dries quickly. I have found that in summer I do need a gel to keep it from getting frizzy. Gray hair certainly has a different texture. I bought this gel a couple of years ago and didn't like it at first but then I tried it again and did! It must be coming up on 3 years for that tube which is a different pattern now. Mine is about a month from being empty! Finally!

[​IMG]

A-M, keepscrappin and jesskab like this.
  12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I may try this one Jess when mine is finally done. Custard sounds so good. (must not eat, must not eat...)

keepscrappin and jesskab like this.
  13. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

My hair is straight but I still have to flat iron it or else one side will flip under and one side will flip up. Drives me bonkers!

I did buy a rod a year or two ago to try curling it a bit. It's still in the packaging. LOL!

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I have enjoyed reading about the different products people use. I must see if any of these are available here in Australia.
    My hair is naturally curly. Both my parents had curls. My mother's turned to just waves after having four children. Dad still had lots of curls the day he died.
    Now my hair is very grey and hormones and the weather effect it so some days it is very curly and others it is straighter.

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

My hair is straight and fine. It was really a bummer back in the 80's when everyone had big hair. I could never pull it off without a perm. I do use a straightener on it just to smooth it out and when I want curl, I use the straightener for that, too. It makes perfect curls in my hair. How I do it depends on how much time I have in the morning.

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

like @Dalis I use Curl Sculpt. Here's a pic of my daily products:
    20170918_174956.jpg
    I put the 10-in-1 Rescue in first, which acts like a leave-in conditioner (cuz your conditioner is probably more important that your styling products). Then I put a tiny bit of Curl Sculpt and Multicultural curls in my hair (sometimes I use Quick Curls).

When I went to Florida for LEGOLand/Disney, I used THIS before I left for the week, and then I only brought the Multicultural and Curl Sculpt with me cuz I didn't want a ton of products in my luggage.
    20170918_175003.jpg
    Anyway, no joke, but in the middle of the crazy-humid Florida weather, after riding a roller coaster and other rides, while we were waiting out a rainstorm (more humidity!) in the Merlin's Challenge ride area, a mom came up to me and said "I like your hair. Can I ask what you use?" cuz her DD had curly hair like her DH. I told her I had the Multicultural curls in, even though I'm not "multicultural" and the mom's eyes were like "THAT'S WHAT SHE NEEDS!" lol. So here's what this above combo without Quick Curls looks like in my hair today. I had my hair ready by about 8am and this pic was taken around 6pm. We were outside, in a little rain storm a little bit, and it was just humid today as we walked/shopped, so that gives you an idea of hold. :) The tamer helped keep my hydrated, which is great.
    20170918_175050.jpg
    Those little curls on my sides are tight. Very kinky. But this combo works well--my curls aren't "crunchy" and they aren't flyaway/frizzy. Also, this proves I've never had Botox. :giggle

ashleywb, Karen, Dalis and 3 others like this.
  17. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

@Tree City I seriously LOVE your hair!!!!

My hair is stick straight and will NOT hold a curl...I remember back in the day when perms were cool, my hair would be curtly until the first washing and then BAM back to straight boring hair :(

I've tried different hair products and different curling wands and curling irons and the best lucky I had was with a Hot Tools and I stupidly let a neighbor borrow it and I never got it back. Now I'm too lazy to curl it LOL

I've always wanted a head full of crazy curly hair...think Mireda (spelling?? the character from Brave) same color and everything!

keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  18. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@Tree City Oh Sara, thanks for sharing the pic! Your hair is amazing! Love the curls.

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I'll have my girls try some of products mentioned in this thread and see what works for them. I think I'm even gonna try some and see if they work for me too. I don't have the curls my girls do, but maybe it'd help me pull off the beach waves look with what curl I do have. I really want something quick and easy and feel like all the heat from the hair dryer and flat iron is killing my hair.

Tree City likes this.
  19. Tree City

If my hair would have the same beautiful shine and stay frizz-free like hers, I'd also love hair like hers lol! But thank you: I got a hair cut last week and I'm loving how short the sides are.

bbymks5 and keepscrappin like this.
  20. Tree City

@keepscrappin Kayla, the great thing about the Garnier products is that you can get them at the grocery store. (Actually, Target carries everything I showed you. I found Miss Jessie's--I love all their products--from Birchbox, actually, but they don't carry them anymore.) The 10-in-1 would be great for you. My DD uses it too. She has a wave but it's nowhere near as curly as mine. (No one in my family has curly hair like I have. I'm an outcast rofl.)

keepscrappin likes this.