Combining PL and Traditional Layouts?

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by QofK, Jan 19, 2017.

1. QofK

QofK New Member

Hi everyone

I've got a TON to catch up on. Like, seriously - a ton. My oldest child is 14 this month, and I only have about 5 years worth of albums finished. :/

Last year I made a ton of progress once I discovered a project life method. I finished three years of albums! My older albums were digital scrapbooks, so going back and finishing them will mean I'm combining some traditional digital layouts with PL pages. Has anyone done this? Did it look okay? I don't have the energy to start over on all the books, and making the old layouts was much more time consuming so I don't want to keep doing that either.

I've got 4 kids, 2 part time jobs and a small business, so free time is ... infrequent.

Frumpje likes this.
  2. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I do it all the time. It all depends upon what scrapping mood I'm in at the time, or what's easiest to do. I'd go ahead and do it!

Aerobigirl and bestcee like this.
  3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I vote for done! :giggle

Seriously.. what ever it takes to get it done will look great! Last year I purposely tried to combine PL pages with traditional layouts for events. It didn't go well because the traditional layouts took me so much longer to get done, but I love my albums!

4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

They definitely look great together and the traditional layouts perk up a book by adding variety. I bet it will be fabulous.

5. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

If you search the forum, I recently posted a link to my completed Portland vacation album. I did most of the layouts in the PL app, but I threw in a few traditionally/digital pages as well. I think it was a nice mix, and it broke up "the monotony" of the pocket pages. I know it's all personal opinion and preference though. :)

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

There are no rules in memory keeping!

Mix and match as you will! My first year of PL I used traditional templates mixed with pocket pages. I don't mind it a bit.

Aerobigirl and QuiltyMom like this.
  7. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

I also combine pocket page templates with traditional pages. In fact, I often sprinkle my MOC layouts throughout my project life type pages. If I remember correctly (and that is very questionable at times!), @RebeccaH does this. I believe she posted a link to at least one of her completed books through Shutterfly here and it was incredible!!

8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I am doing this for 2017 as well and agree with the others done is done and digital layouts break up the monotony that PL can become. Variety is the spice of life.

9. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

All of my pages go in one big book for the year so I have a mix of PL + traditional the years that I do PL. It doesn't bother me at all.

10. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

@bbachand Becky, thanks for the compliment!! Yes, I DO combine PL style pages and regular pages quite often! I've found it to be a good way to give an overview (with the pocket pages) and tell the more detailed stories of events or moments that took place (regular pages). I totally agree with Tracie @tkradtke... go for FINISHED! No sense in going back and redoing just because your style has changed... chances are, it will change a little here and there before you're ever caught up anyway. You would be forever going around that mountain.

Here are a few of the albums I've done that have been a mix of pocket pages and traditionally scrapped pages, to give you an idea of what the combination might look like - how it flows:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BcNXLVo5ZsmHK

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BcNXLVo5ZsmHb

Hope this helps you!! I'm so happy you found a new approach that fits for you and will help you get caught up!! Can't wait to see your pages flood the gallery!

11. destiney1

destiney1 Well-Known Member

I do both some weeks I only have one layout so I add a regular layout to keep it even so a full week is on one double page or I'll do one PL double page then two regular ones

12. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I mix all sorts of page types and sizes in my albums. I love the mish mash look.

Aerobigirl likes this.
  13. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

@RebeccaH Your albums look fabulous. I think it was you who encouraged me in the chat to combine both styles for this year's album. I have a question. I have seen there are some pages in your album with only half a page. Do you cut them off?
    I have seen that before somewhere and thought it was such a great idea to bring some "real life half pages" into my album. I know that I would have a problem cutting half a page away (ah, all that wasted space!), but I love the concept.

14. lucysmom

lucysmom Active Member

I have never "shaken it up" so to speak, but after working so hard on my MOC pages this year, I think I will add some in to my 2016 book. I used photos I didn't necessarily capture on other pocket pages, so I think it will be fun to add some variety.

RebeccaH likes this.
  15. RebeccaH

Yes, I DO just cut them off! The very 1st time I did it, I was a little nervous, but I just made myself do it... like ripping off a Band-Aid. I use my 12" cutter so the cut is straight. Also, if you notice a few pages that were just a patterned paper... the flip side of those pages is a 6x12, so when I cut it, there will just be a 1/2 page of patterned paper... easier that way to not have to worry about getting both sides of the page to line up (or an easy filler if there's nothing to actually fill the other side).

Frumpje likes this.
  16. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I'm a mixer-upper. I have several vacations that were nearly all pocket style, but for my day to day scrapping, I take a look at how many photos I have for an event / month / concept and the number of photos helps decide whether it needs to be a more photo-dense pocket page or a layout with more of a traditional scrapbook feel.

RebeccaH likes this.
  17. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love the mixed look! My older kids were 15 and 11 when I started scrapping, so I have a lot of their lives to catch up on. I have some traditional layouts I've done over the years, but I would also like to mix in some PL style pages to fill up their childhood.

RebeccaH likes this.
  18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm another mixer of page types. I don't consider myself only a pocket scrapper, but I definitely LOVE pocket pages. I do traditional style pages for pictures or events that I think need their own page, but then I do a double spread each month of all the misc pictures and things we did for the month so I have them captured, but also so I can have any hope of getting caught up. and those double monthly spreads are always pocket pages so I jam a ton of stuff on them! :)

RebeccaH likes this.
  19. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

IMGhy.JPG
    I totally mix it up! But what I do is print my layouts 8x8 and put into albums and then use that for creating onto! Super fun!
    Here are a couple of examples.
    ooops the top one is sideways.... well you get what I do.

IMG_05hy.JPG

To me you can do whatever you like!

busywoman139 and RebeccaH like this.
  20. RebeccaH

@Sokee that's a really cool idea!!

Sokee likes this.