Coffee?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by JillW, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

When I was 17 or 18, I would drink it on the weekends and had to stop. It was triggering migraines more often for me. So, for awhile it has been water, sweet tea, soda and juice every now and then. This Christmas I ended up buying a Keurig because after my mom's visit in November and our trip to Starbucks I really wanted to try it again. It didn't give me a migraine. So now I have a cup every few days or so. My favorites are Starbucks Mocha and Krispy Kreme Smooth.

2. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

We always have a pot of coffee on first thing in the morning (Seattles Best or Starbucks Verona). Until recently I drank it black with sugar but have had to start taking it with half and half as it was too acid for me. When we were in Spain last year we got hooked on Cappuccinos so we recently bought and Espresso/Cappuccino maker which we usually use in the afternoon. I absolutely love it!!!

3. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I drink black coffee. A pot and a half to myself in the morning. I get flavored coffee if I'm out and buying coffee, but that's very infrequent these days. We just buy foldgers or stpre brand. Not picky!

4. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I have a cup every morning with truvie and a splash of half & half.
    In the afternoon I make a little protein/bullet proof type coffee drink with protein powder, collagen, MCT oil...I blend it up and it's so nice and creamy. I drink it while I'm doing spelling with my 6 & 7 year old (I think it's the only way I can make it through!).

mcurtt likes this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

never heard of this but I am intrigued!

mcurtt likes this.
  6. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

No coffee for me....diet coke all the way and during summer mainly i'll have iced tea. once or twice during winter i'll buy a hot chocolate but i'll pay for it in digestive issues as i'm supposed to be lactose free but hate soy milk so put up with normal milk for that.

7. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

Currently, I buy a Starbucks on my way into the office in the morning, and then switch to tea for the remainder of the day. In an effort to cut costs/calories, I'm trying to switch up that plan. We have a local coffee chain called Bridgehead. Their coffee has this magical flavour that I can't find anywhere else. I have a bag at home, and I am trying to switch my habits and make myself a coffee to go every morning at home before I get on the bus. If I can do it often enough, I will end up buying a bean share - essentially you pay upfront, and then get beans every week or two for however long. Since Bridgehead works with small co-op farmers, it really helps with the upfront costs of farming.

One thing that will never change: Coffee has no joy without cinnamon sprinkled on top. Cinnamon is a must.

8. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Actually I forgot, but I also add a heaping teaspoon of collagen powder. :-) This is my version of bullet-proof coffee since I am not fond of hot coffee.

I like my tea hot, my coffee cold. About the only coffee I can tolerate is an iced breve. :-)

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Not a coffee drinker. I never could acquire the taste. I wish I would though because coffee at work is free, but my caffeine of choice is Diet Coke and I have to pay for that. Terrible habit.

littlekiwi likes this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i saw this thread and thought 'yep it's time for my 2nd cup today' (it's usually before or after school pick up and today it looks like it's before!) - make mine a vanilla latte, please, but anything semi-sweet and milky is fine :moo.

11. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

That sounds amazing, Liz. Do you drink it hot or cold?

12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Love coffee. I drink between 3-5 cups a day, sometimes more. I use full fat cream, a bit of stevia and I make my own coffee syrup blend of salted caramel, gingerbread and vanilla. I don't eat sweets or junk food so my sweetened coffees are like dessert to me. Later in the morning if I'm the only one having more coffee, then I use our keurig. I buy starbucks, timmies and mcdonalds k-cups.

When I'm out and about, I frequent waves, starbucks and timmies for coffee. My fave at starbucks is a almond milk cinnamon dolce.

cfile likes this.
  13. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

I stopped drinking soda 2 years ago but I agree that McDonald's Coke is the best!!

14. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

I love coffee! 1-2 cups in the morning and sometimes 1 more mid afternoon. I also do a bullet proof version as part of a LCHF diet. I like Mississippi Grogg from Verena Street; it's flavored with butterscotch, caramel, and hazelnut. I have it with Kerrygold butter, heavy cream, cinnamon, and some local honey.

15. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I used to take my coffee black, but now I add a little half and half. If DH buys heavy cream for a recipe, then I'll use the leftover bit in my coffee. :) DH and I have a pot of coffee in the morning. I mean, we share a pot: we don't EACH have a pot. :dizzy I can't stand sugar in my regular coffee, but I will do a Caramel Macchiato or something from Starbucks. So if I do a sugary coffee drink, I go big! Oh, and I'll make a keurig coffee in the afternoon; in fact, I just finished one!

16. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Yep, I drink coffee every morning...like a half a pot I drink flavored coffees since they have no calories vs adding creamers. When we moved to Seattle 10 years ago I decided I would not do the Starbucks routine except for special occasions since it really was expensive if you added it up over a year.

AVERAGE COST FOR A SINGLE TRIP TO NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED COFFEEHOUSE:
    $3.25
    COST FOR 1 PURCHASE PER 5 DAY WORK WEEK: $16.25
    COST PER MONTH: $65
    COST PER YEAR: $780 x 10 years + $7,800. :compcoffee
    *This is based on an average price of a cup of coffee from three nationally recognized coffee
    houses (Dunkin Donuts, Caribou Coffee, and Starbucks). It is assuming the lowest
    daily/weekly consumption of one-a-day for five days-a-week

I had never looked this up. I'm surprised at the cost.

17. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Black no sugar, but don't misunderstand that I LOVE those with cream and sugar or with ice cream or like a coffee freeze drink.

18. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

This is part of what motivated me to make the switch from Starbucks to making coffee at home. I only started drinking "coffee" in my 30s and then it was only drinking lattes. So, I had to figure out how to make those at home. We had a Starbucks espresso machine and it used these coffee pods from Starbucks that were definitely cheaper than buying a Starbucks latte but still ran about $1 per pod. So, I gradually trained myself to drink coffee instead of lattes. Took a while but now I prefer just brewed dark roast coffee over lattes (although I still buy a mocha for a very occasional treat). I admit to being a bit of a half & half junkie but when I try to cut back to black, the acid bothers my stomach. So, I'm happy where I am.

19. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

I drink 2 18oz coffees every day. (except for Thursday I drink a 3rd) I have decaf when I start my day at 5:30 and switch to regular after my 8am nap. On Thursday the 3rd cup is decaf. The "decaf sandwich" saves me from hours of painfully restless limbs so it's worth it. I drank it black until a few years ago. Now I can't drink it without sugar free creamer (Hazelnut unless SF Peppermint Mocha is in season). I love our Keurig. I hated how much coffee we wasted with a coffee pot so it's perfect. We rarely buy kcups, though. We use local blends and a really good reusable kcup. :)

20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@jenn mccabe I have to have it every morning (a few cups) or I will have a massive headache. That's how I used to be when I was drinking an a.m. pot of Typhoo tea and maybe another pot or two during the day. One day I went over to a friend's before having any tea and the head pain made me think I had a brain tumor! Not long after that I weaned myself off caffeine. It helped a lot when we traveled a lot since I didn't have to look for a halfway decent cup of tea outside my home.

Now I drink tea and coffee all almost always decaf. My tea is black with stevia and I really don't like most any flavored teas. But as someone who took up coffee in my late 50s, it's all about the dessert level of coffee. Mid morning I make a faux Keurig decaf large cup, with stevia and some kind of flavored creamer or maybe chocolate almond milk. Around 3pm, we both have double espressos at home with a Nespresso machine - mine decaf, and his leaded. Funny, I take mine black with that stevia but he now adds the sugar free creamer.

Come summer, I'm all for iced tea all day made with Publix decaf bags. I stockpile at least 4 boxes of those large teabags when I'm down south. I'll also make a French press batch of decaf coffee in the evening and use it the next day for iced coffee. I also try to drink about 6 glasses of water...and boy can I make use of the toilet this way!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    jenn mccabe likes this.