Cloud Storage (Online Back-up)

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by rdjrneace, Jul 8, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, for my initial back up: (It didn't take as long as it said it would originally).
    1. I left my computer running, especially at night when no one was on it.
    2. I excluded all folders except my photo folders. This took time, but my photos were the most important to me (still are. Digi supplies can be rebought). After my photo files were backed up, I hit the restore defaults, and it backed up everything else.
    3. I played with the throttle. I know it's smarter now, but for the initial backup, I checked to see if the automatic or manual throttle was faster. And I pushed it to the highest estimated GB possible.

Once the initial backup was done, I defaulted all the settings, and just let it do it's thing in the background.

My husband gets email from people who are trying to send it to another person with his name. They just type the email wrong (JohnSmith instead of JonSmith), or don't know that their guy has a different email (JohnHSmith). It used to happen to him when he worked for Marriott too. People just picked the first person with his name, and didn't check the department, or middle initial. I don't think it's a security issue? Because I could send an email randomly and the name might be right?

2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

On that slow backup, I know on a Mac you can keep it ON all night by changing the settings for Energy Saving i.e. no going to sleep after no use. I don't know how you do or can do this on a PC but it's worth checking.

bestcee likes this.
  3. cookingmylife

@bestcee I understand but...yesterday I got "my" refund for £5 and a couple weeks ago I got my tickets from RSA to Dublin. If I were smart enough or evil enough I might have been able to do something with those. Plus I imagine the owner of the £s might never get it now since it's recorded as sent.

bestcee likes this.
  4. bestcee

Same thing! I totally forgot to mention that!

5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

For those of you wondering: You can do that on a PC--at least on a Windows 10 cuz that's what I have. On the desktop, right-click Display Settings, and then click Power & Sleep. Then, on the right-hand side of that screen, click Additional Power Settings (right under Related Settings). Then, click the "change plan settings" option to the right of the words High Performance; that will let you choose when the monitor powers off and when the computer goes to sleep. "Never" is the bottom option. Maybe there's an easier way but IDK it. :) But don't forget to change your settings back to normal once your backup is finished! My initial backup to BackBlaze took maybe 2 days for my laptop and EHD. I had about 4TB of stuff but I have fast wifi and I turned it off the first 2 nights.

My biggest issue with BB has been my EHD, which I don't keep plugged in all the time. Twice I've plugged it in to backup to BB and the control panel has shown it as plugged in and backing up, but then I get a warning from BB that my EHD hasn't been backed up in 14 days (or 21 days--I get those 2 warning emails). That annoys me cuz when we went on vacation in May, I plugged in my EHD to make sure I'd be okay while we were gone, and the next day I got the "hard drive missing for 14 days!" email. And once BB completely removed all of the Excluded file types and folders that I'd set up. That was annoying.

6. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I have 2 EHD (one for pictures) and one for supplies so I decided to not back up the supplies one for now. Once I get pics backed up I will then add the other one. It is still a slow go due to internet speed (the disadvantages of living in the country and not having fiber optics).

bestcee and KellyM like this.
  7. cookingmylife

Wise way to go @rdjrneace. The first time is agonizingly slow seeming.

btw, I just met the woman who was project manager for Verizon's FIOS. Quite an achievement for a woman at that time!

Tree City and bestcee like this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Here is a post from the BackBlaze blog titled "Sync vs Backup vs Storage," which I thought basically anyone who read this thread might find interesting. :)

bestcee likes this.
  9. bestcee

I totally was going to come post that! Thanks for sharing!

Tree City likes this.