Cloud Storage (Online Back-up)

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by rdjrneace, Jul 8, 2017.

1. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I know I have seen some threads before but I can't locate them.

I have 2 EHD's but I am trying to decide what is the best place for Cloud or Website back-up?

Also do you store your layouts on the "Cloud" in a separate place?

I definitely need some help in this matter.

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Are you looking for cloud storage or online backup or both?
    To me, they are different things because quite a few online backup sites delete files if you remove them from your computer after 30 days. Which is fine by me, but makes them online backup. If my computer or ehd crashes, it's backed up in the cloud. I use Backblaze for that. It backs up my ehds, and the price is right. I've recovered files easily, and I know people who have recovered entire drives (@gonewiththewind ). They now offer to send you a drive, and you can get your stuff off, and send the drive back, so recovery is free, which is cool to me. Both my ehds and my entire computer are backed up through Backblaze. I paid for a year, so it's less than $5/month. I've used them for about 4 years now.

I don't use a lot of online storage. I do upload full sizes of my layouts to Flickr, and Persnickety Prints. Flickr is free up to 1 TB, and Persnickety you have to order - I can't remember the timeframe. I also upload them to Amazon Photos (prime member, so it's free). I like to look at then on my TV using a Firestick.

rdjrneace likes this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've not had much success with Backblaze, it caused some glitches in my computer twice so had to stop using it (although many love it and have no problems) so I stick with smugmug for layouts/photos and also have amazon prime photo storage (free with my prime account) but haven't done much with it yet.

rdjrneace likes this.
  4. rdjrneace

Thanks Courtney for your input. I had forgot that if I delete something from my computer that the online back-up will remove it to. I am wanting to backup my computer but I was not sure of Backblaze or Carbonite (don't know if there is another one out there).

I was also wanting someplace to put my layouts as well since there is times that I want to show someone outside of my house and I only have them on my computer or EHD.

I also have Amazon Prime so I guess I need to look at that for my layouts.

5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Everything goes onto Backblaze. I've used it for years and like Courtney said, I've had to get my entire EHD recovered from them. I highly recommend them!

KellyM likes this.
  6. bestcee

Flickr is great for this! Really easy to share, and my mom actually follows me or something so she gets an email every time I upload more pages. It's browser based, so easy to pull up and see them. Plus, you can set it so downloads are or are not allowed. My mom likes to be able to download anything that she wants that I scrapped.

7. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

What great timing for this thread! My computer is sooooo slow right now because I have million (ish) pictures taking up so much room. I just upgraded my dropbox to the 1 terabyte option and I'm moving my pictures over today. I've had too many external hard drives die in my so my goal is to keep them on the cloud. I've gone back and forth about this and I think it's my best option right now. I was using amazon prime photo storage but I hate the interface and it's super hard to get photos uploaded from my computer.

8. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

I have a Flickr Pro account, but I can't upload PSD files there.... So can I use Backblaze for this? Glad I stumbled upon this thread :clappy

9. bestcee

I do!
    I upload my full size printable jpegs to Flickr.
    I use Backblaze to backup everything on my computer (documents, photos, files, psd, etc). If you delete it off your computer or EHD, then Backblaze will delete it too.
    Does that help?

10. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

@bestcee
    Courtney you are always so helpful! Its amazing the amount of knowledge you know! Thank you for being you!

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

:heartslub Thank you!

12. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Ah right, it does. But I want a backup of my PSD's in case my EHD dies on me... Any tips anyone?

13. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I have used Backblaze for years now and it's been a life saver on more than one occasion - quick and easy.

I back up everything on Backblaze - I have tons of different folders including photos (named by occasion, date, person, etc) - Kits (in folders by designer) and completed pages.

Good luck in your quest!!

14. bestcee

So, Backblaze backs up my EHD's. If my EHD dies, I can either download straight from their website, or I can order a new EHD sent to the house with my files on it. I have 30 days from the last date the EHD was backed up to do that. I can keep the one they send me, but I'm more likely to buy my own, transfer the files, and send their EHD back.
    I know when my EHD dies, I'll be buying a new one!

Vrielinkie likes this.
  15. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've been using Backblaze for many, many years now, and Smugmug a little longer than that (since 2008). Backblaze automatically backs up everything on my computer and EHDs so I don't even have to think about it (though I check at the website occasionally and signed up to receive email notifications telling me things are getting backed up).

Smugmug is just for images, but it's not just for backing up and it's not automatic. It's a way to share images too. I keep most of my images private, but I upload ALL of them to Smugmug so I can have more than one backup system, in case one fails.

Here you can see how I store and share my scrapbook pages on Smugmug.

bestcee likes this.
  16. rdjrneace

I decided to go with Backblaze but it is going to take forever to back up all of my files (I have 2 EHD) with all of my kits, photos and layouts.

bestcee likes this.
  17. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I didn't read this before, thinking that I didn't need it but of course there's always something new or something to learn in such threads. I just remembered my son asked me to share the ....2008 photos of my grandson in Alaska and the 2014 ones of granddaughter #1 with him. Granddaughter #2 is going on the same trip this August so I should get on the ball with this. I hadn't thought of Flickr but I should try one set because sharing via Google gets me to wanna pull my hair out! While I have a gmail account I hate it and often get mail that should go to two different women...one in Ireland and one in South Africa. Not the same name but close... so much for security.

18. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I also use Backblaze and they saved me when my hard drive crashed last year.

19. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

20. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

My latest system is back up everything to backblaze. Also store photos on Amazon & Shutterfly. Then all my scrapping stuff goes to my 2TB wireless EHD. I love that thing. I want to get a 5TB soon.