Chromebooks.... Help!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, Nov 22, 2017.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Ok. I need help.

Does anyone have a Chromebook? Or their kids have them? I'm starting to look, and I'm overwhelmed. We are getting them for our boys for Christmas. I probably should have started research but didn't realize they wanted them. They have them for use at school... so I'm asking for some guidance.

Anything I would be better off including? steering away from?
    Brand?
    Sizing? Memory?

Halp!
    [​IMG]

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

My husband just bought one for the family. He's still in the process of setting up, but I think he's really happy with it so far. I'll ask him for the model and a review later when he's back home from work.

jk703 likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

They give all the 9th graders in our school division Chromebooks every year, and this year all the teachers got one. We also have Joey carts (big box that holds about 30 Chromebooks and you can plug in the whole thing to charge them all at once) in every building. As a matter of fact we have gone to Google everything in our classrooms. That being said, I don't really have any advice :giggle. I haven't used mine all that much yet and am still getting used to it. The ones we have are HP and I really couldn't even tell you the specs on it. I need to get that thing out more haha. I'm going to follow this, though... I am thinking about one for Chance for Christmas this year as well.

Juliestcyr and jk703 like this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't know anything about them. But would the regular advice apply? Buy as much RAM and Memory as you can?

5. jk703

Our school is similar... but it makes it easier to have at home for school work, sign ons, and everything to be able to bring it back and forth. That's why we are leaning toward it! I think my oldest and your youngest are close in age... but my 9 year old asked for it first! lol! I imagine a lot of You Tube when they aren't doing schoolwork. :giggle I'm lucky that they have a good track record for electronics!

IntenseMagic and bestcee like this.
  6. jk703

I have no clue...:giggle... and the fact they are going to be lugging it back and forth to school every day, means I need durable. I don't want it to run slow, but since it costs a lot less than a traditional laptop, I'm stumped as to where the give and take might be. It's going to get a heck of a lot of hands on hard daily use in my mind. Do they make otterboxes for Chrombookos?! :P Our ipads and electronics have held up well with those!

7. jk703

Looking at this thread... I really need to update my siggy again! :giggle

bestcee likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Or maybe this is going to be if you give a mouse a cookie?
    If you buy the Chromebook, you'll have to buy a backpack with a computer sleeve.
    If you buy a Chromebook, you'll have to buy cloud storage.
    :giggle

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  9. jk703

For sure.... :giggle
    I think the backpacks we have have a sleeve, but they don't carry those around all day at school. Ugh.
    Need Cover, possible mouse, storage, and whatever else they need. That will have to wait until the next gifting process, birthdays! lol!

bestcee likes this.
  10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Ours all have this cover - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Case-Logic-ARC-111-Arca-Carrying-Case-for-11-6-Chromebook/45714525. It's nice plastic, padded inside, and has a shoulder strap...and you don't have to take it out of the case to use it, just open it. You can put off the storage for awhile anyway, since they give you 100GB free for 2 years when you buy a Chromebook :)

bestcee and jk703 like this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Our schools do BYOD (bring your own device) Not sure I can help with spec's re: US schools but I'll add more when I get back to computer (on phone)

12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

haven't forgotten - trying to look for the guidelines/spec's we were given when BYOD was introduced

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Ugh ok i can't find it but because they were using google classroom and edmodo programs (like a student locked down facebook) a lot, Chrome Books were recommended because heaps of storage wasn't neccessary, the education department appartently gives each kid cloud space and as long as they can use a USB stick if they need to for extra, it's all good (DD's maths textbook is an ebook on USB.

My main stumbling block in buying was that the schools wifi connectivity is not the same as home systems here - this is from the Choice website - not sure it's relevant in the US but this explained it to me
    One of the biggest issues with connecting to the school network will be wireless capability. For example, most public high schools operate on a 5GHz wireless network and this mean you need a laptop marked "dual band or 2.4/5GHz" for wireless connectivity. However, many cheaper laptops only have capabilities for 2.4GHz and may require a wireless adapter to connect to the school's network. The other specification relates to the wireless standard and is designated with a letter. Newer laptops will be marked 802.11n or 802.11ac, which is the newest and fastest wireless standard.

For 2017, you're likely to see the wireless specification as 5GHz 802.11n in the school's policy, so if the laptop you buy says 802.11abgn it should be fine as long as it's dual band. Newest laptops marked 802.11ac will still connect as they're compatible with the previous standard

- that meant we couldn't use some of the cheaper 'on clearance' devices. Because they aren't allowed to recharge it at school, battery life was next most important for us (needed to be 4+hrs for primary school and 6+hrs for highschool), after we bought a 'case' for it that was quite well padded and assured that devices stay in a tub in the classroom after the bell goes in the morning and back into it until the end of the day when not in use. Bags being thrown around was meant to be addressed by having a 'drop zone' to leave bags in before school but that hasn't happened but i dont know of anyone that has had problems with breakages as a result.

(And i need to update sig and avi - i'll arrange to be photobombed by reindeer soon ;) )

bestcee likes this.