Book tracking...

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by klee73010, Oct 11, 2016.

1. pixiestix

pixiestix Member

I keep track with Goodreads. I try (but usually fail) to complete the 52 books a year challenge and so I have folders going back to 2010 with completed books. Unfortunately my numbers just keep going down every year.

I think these days I read more picture books than anything else - and now, thanks to @bestcee I want to make a similar page for my boys' favourite books this year. THAT IS SUCH AN AWESOME IDEA and looks SO COOL!

bestcee likes this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Thanks! It really is fun to look back on. Two years later, and some of those books are still in the rotation!

pixiestix likes this.
  3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm strictly on Goodreads also but darn...I have to get some other list for books I want to read because often I can't get a good connection in the used book stores we haunt. I really hesitate to buy when I'm not sure since I do forget so much of what I read these days. Thank you @Karen for being in the same boat!

@tinkerbell1112 I added you and I'm ....surprise, surprise...CookingMyLife there myself.

eta! I passed my 2016 100books goal last week but didn't make my 2015 one of ...125? so maybe I'll stick to 100.

tinkerbell1112 and Karen like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Wow! Maureen! That's awesome that you've read 100 books this year! I had to bump my goal down from 2015 too. It was the first year i didn't meet my goal. I set mine for 30 this year and already passed that. Now even though I've read less book, I feel like an overachiever because I passed my goal. :giggle

5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

So true, so true! I'm still like a kid in school!

Karen likes this.
  6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I should be more organized b/c I try to record and mark my books as read in Goodreads but half the time forget to do that. But I should....b/c I am like Karen....I forget what books I've read. And what makes it even more confusing for me is when a book gets republished with a new cover so then I don't recognize it. So I have to read the review to see if it jogs my memory as one I've read or not.

So this reminds me....be more diligent about keeping track on Goodreads!

Karen likes this.
  7. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

i didn't pick a goal for goodreads this year, because it was adding all the books my kids read through my kindle/prime reading. LOL. all of a sudden, i'd read like 20 books - while it's true, I read the kids' books to them, i don't count those as "reading".

My goal for this year (outside of goodreads) was 5 new books. I've read 2 full books, and the three mini-books/compilations from the Harry Potter/Pottermore release in September. I'm currently reading one more book that isn't "new" - i'm re-reading it because I didn't remember it... but I will probably still count it as a "new" read - because it's not one I've read 1800 times, like Harry Potter or Twilight.

8. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I've found Goodreads has been helpful to keep track of whether or not I've read a book or not. Esp now as I've moved into audio books and kindles, different editions make it tricky. I have trouble with books series that I love but because their plotlines are similar, cannot remember which one I'm up to (thinking Jack Reacher and Stephanie Plum novels here)

I set last years goal at 50, got nowhere near it, but because I was in a reading mood at the start of the year, upped it to 100 and I'm nearly there. Audio books are helping a lot.

9. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I use Goodreads and create a "with Kennedy" shelf so I can add books there. I have spent time in Barnes and Noble looking over books and snapping pics of the covers so I can add them to a list later. I'm one of those where I have trouble finding books for him at the library unless I know what I'm looking for.

klee73010 likes this.
  10. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I've never thought of keeping track of the books my kids read; I've been using the "hey, you, have you read this book?" method of figuring out whether or not they've read something, but it doesn't work when we're not in the same room. LOL

I have a book collection app for my phone that scans bar codes and keeps track of those books; I wanted to use it to remember what books my son had, but by then he had so many books that I never seemed to be able to scan them all, there wasn't an easy way to add ebooks, and I wasn't catching their library books. Otherwise, it was a good app. I don't know if it would be useful to anyone else, but it is BookBuddy (iOS).

I use Goodreads to keep track of my own books; I find the mobile app awkward, or I'd sign my 13 year old up for it. (I have a hard time keeping track of the series he's reading.) The closest I manage for my kids is that they all have Kindles and I'm their only content supplier. But only a portion of their reading is done with those.

bellbird and klee73010 like this.