bills, bills, bills | pad patter 3.23.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Mar 23, 2017.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

bills, bills, bills... who pays the bills at your house? I do at mine. I don't earn all the money, but I'm the one who makes sure the collectors don't come after us. I reconcile the accounts and make the payments - online or by check if they don't do online. I'm the one who makes sure all the bills get paid on time and that there's enough money in our account to pay them. You'd think my accountant/finance controller, hubby would do it, but he doesn't. He manages millions of dollars at work, but I'm the one who keeps us on budget. We made the budget together, but I manage it. He likes to spend, so he lets me do all the shopping. Otherwise, we'd be in the poor house if he was in charge... hehe! He says it's because it's hard for him to switch his mindset from the spending he can do at work, to the spending he can do at home.

How about you - do you pay the bills? Do you have a budget? Do you stay on budget?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    enjoyyourpix and bbymks5 like this.
  2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I do... and for the most part stay on budget. :) We have some bills to pay off, but otherwise, we are pretty low key spenders. We are currently searching for new couches.

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

I pay all the bills! I use Excel spreadsheets for the bills and another for my checkbook. I also use Quicken. I have a crazy system...but it keeps us out of trouble!

keepscrappin and busywoman139 like this.
  4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I pay all the bills and I suck at it LOL. I am forever forgetting to pay stuff and then we get that phone call. My hubs will answer the phone and roll his eyes and say yes.....I will get right on it. I don't mean to forget but I'll get a bill, put it aside to pay later today or tomorrow and then it just sits there. I am really trying to be more on the ball about payments. Ugh.

keepscrappin and jesskab like this.
  5. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

I am the sole income provider and I like to spend so I recently relinquished control of managing the finances to my husband. It took a lot for me to let that go but, it's better this way :) I also have a crazy Excel spreadsheet/system that I've used for the past 8+ years so I'm training him how to use it. While we're transitioning, we're doing things together which is good too because it promotes discussion about financial priorities/needs/wants.

Tree City and keepscrappin like this.
  6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I handle the day-to-day, short term bill paying and accounting in Quicken. My husband handles all the investments in our retirement accounts and the kid's college funds. We don't have a budget but we have a good idea of what we should spend. In general, both of us are pretty frugal, or at least one of us is at any given time. What is dangerous is when both of us are in a spending mood at the same time. Yeah, we own some things we probably shouldn't because of that.

We pay off our credit card each month, drafted automatically from checking. And we put everything we can, especially regular bills on the card. That way, I have less to remember to pay, but it does mean watching that bank account to make sure there is money in there for the auto drafts.

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I do all the bill paying & budgeting in our household- I use a excel spreadsheet (for years!) and just before payday- I make sure we have it all nailed down where the extra will go- sometimes we're saving for a vacation or home improvements or whichever. My hubby works at our credit union so it's funny that he's so hands off about it- but he checks our accounts daily (I'm more of a weekly checker) and we definitely are on the same page when it comes to finances. We actually have 2 checking accounts (1 called Bills, 1 called Play = bills are always paid & when we're out of play $$, no more playing! ;) ) & 5 savings accounts- (1 for each kid, 1 never touch savings, 1 vacation savings & 1 house savings.) Our system works awesome for us & while we don't always have 'extra' to go into all the savings, they at least are there & a reminder to be more frugal sometimes (except when project mouse is having a crazy sale!:giggle)

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This is so awesome!!

I'm the bill payer in our family. My son has asked why Daddy never carries cash, but mommy does. Daddy replies: "Because I spend it if I have it!" And that's the truth of the matter. We are trying to work better at planning the budget together, but we aren't perfect. And, even with that, usually I know what's left in the budget category because I do the shopping. It costs me more when he comes! LOL.

keepscrappin, busywoman139 and amien1 like this.
  9. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

We hardly have any bills to pay because almost everything (and certainly everything concerning regular bills like rent, electricity, phone etc) is paid by direct debit. The only bills we get that need paying are incidentals like additional dentist bills or the odd repair job.
    I haven't had a checkbook for years and don't know anyone who uses checks. I think if I walked into a store and wanted to pay with a check they wouldn't know what to do with it :-)

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

ALWAYS!!! :D Especially when he wants to go to Costco! ;)

enjoyyourpix and keepscrappin like this.
  11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

My hubby writes the check and balances the books. I can't do math. But I'm the one who pays all the figure skating bills, most of which comes out of the small salary I earn at the rink.

12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

He pays all the bills, which are few because most of ours are direct debit. I was willing to give this responsibility up when we married because I had done it all in the 20 years of my first marriage and the 15 years single afterwards. However...I found that he is more of a spender than I am, mostly I think because his first wife was a shopaholic (still is). We were fortunate to 'win' an AmEx consultation when we first married and we had to bring all of our financial records (for each of us) and have them reviewed. I was sure we'd be destitute with his spending and he was sure I was a total tightwad. Of course it was more in the middle for both of us but we saw our own patterns and are ok with each other's spending/saving. I still save more than he does though...he jokes that I think I can take it with me but it's more that I don't really need much so...I save the money.

While we don't have a budget per se, we know how much is coming in because we are both retired and 'quote' living on a fixed income. Actually he still does some consulting work which is never the same each month so I don't make a point about what he buys cause that's money he works for and I choose not to work anymore. The bad part of that consulting work is that it requires quarterly taxes and is often a crapshoot in estimating. While this 'play' money is nice, it's a pain tax wise.

He is the one who deals more with our investments etc. I go to the financial advisor with him only about half the time. My investments are pretty stable, boring but safe. His are slightly more risky but he has his federal retirement as long as he lives. My current income is tied to the life of each of my husbands. I pray that they both have long life!

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

YES! We went for milk one day. And come home with the smoker he wanted. Sigh. It was okay really, because he worked a bunch of OT to pay for it, but it wasn't our plan that day! In fact, we had to load it in the car, let him go home, and come back to pick up me and the boychild. :giggle

keepscrappin and amien1 like this.
  14. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

I do all the bill paying and finances for us. I started doing it after my husband went active duty with the Army twelve years ago. With year long deployments for him, it's just best that I do it.

He jokes that he doesn't even know how much he makes...and he's so not a numbers person, so he really probably doesn't. :)

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I do the bills here too...hubby openly admits he's not organized enough and would forget to pay things.

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. keepscrappin

I use Quicken and spreadsheets too! Although, I'm a little behind this month downloading transactions for Quicken.

My hubby handles the long-term investments too. We pay our credit card off each month and have most of our bills on auto pay from checking. I too have to watch to make sure we have enough for auto drafts.

We do that too. We have long term savings and short term savings for us. We also have long term savings for each of the kids and put $50 a month into their accounts. We have done that since they were born so they'll have some money for college and a wedding.

I can't take my hubby shopping either or it'll cost me twice as much! He always has to have treats and a diet mtn dew, if nothing else... hehe

17. keepscrappin

Most of my bills are on auto draft. My credit card isn't, although I do pay it online. I have my cell phone and cable hit my credit card, so I can earn points. Then, I pay it off each month and never carry a balance, so I like to make sure I have enough in checking to pay it. If I had it on auto pay, I'd forget to transfer money from savings some months to pay for things like vacations and medical bills and then I'd be in trouble.

I also don't use many checks, but sometimes I have to send a check for things at school. nJust this week I had our credit union send a check through their bill pay option for our irrigation water bill. I couldn't pay it online with the water company, so I sent a check through bill pay. I love the bill pay. The credit union sends a check to the company for me and I don't have to pay postage or buy checks. It's great, if I remember to set it up far enough ahead (like a week). Otherwise, I have to write a check.

I know most places process paper checks electronically now days. I know wal-mart does. Seems like the days of writing checks are coming to an end. I had to teach my teenagers how to write checks when we got them checking accounts for their first jobs. We also got debit cards, but wanted them to know how to write checks if they ever needed to do it.

Rikki likes this.
  18. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

When we were first married I did it all....... and made math mistakes. LOL so he took over the figures and would then slide the checkbook over and I would write out all our bills and mail them.

My hubby retired 5 years ago, he was a full time firefighter. And now has a job with the state as an fire inspector. He took over all the bills at that time and we have been put on a tight budget. He has his spread sheets all filled out on what we are paying each month. His goal is to be completely debt free in 4 more years. This includes our home. He will fully retire at that time. So I'm fine with that. He pays the bills and lets me know what the grocery/spending $$ is for a 2 week period and I stay within that budget.

Of course life gets in the way. We and the timeline was extended as we had 2 children get married in the last 2 years.

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  19. keepscrappin

That's awesome that you'll be debt free in 4 or so years! We have about 5-6 years left on our house and will be debt free except for our cars. Well, our cars should be paid off by then too, unless my hubby, Rob, gets a new one before then. He travels a lot for work so he's always driving new rental cars and really wants to get a new one. I told him he could get one, once Chase gets home from his mission in 17 months. Aspen will be going to college when Chase gets home from his mission, so the kid car and Rob's car will go to them and Rob can get a new one.

20. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I handle all the money. His paycheck is direct deposited weekly, mine is every two weeks. I just paid off the car (woot woot!) & have budgeted for my big 40th birthday trip to Universal Studios next month. I opt for a lot of tax to be taken out of my paycheck so I get the huge return in February. That's when I pay off the big stuff & make sure I have at least a month's rent in my savings account. I transfer money to his account once in awhile, but I also keep groceries fully stocked so he doesn't feel the need to eat out somewhere on his delivery route. He wastes money fast on that junk food. I've kept us clothed, fed, & with a roof over our heads through 3 layoffs & 3 disabilities. When I need to work 2 jobs, I do. Thank goodness I've only had to work one job since 08/2014. I just reduced my hours a bit so I can take care of my ADHD son one more afternoon per week. That's only until school's out. We'll see what happens next.