Best Format for Printing?

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by srcourtney, Jan 8, 2018.

1. srcourtney

srcourtney Member

I am new to digital scrapping. This will be my first year doing PL completely digital. I want be sure I am doing things right from the beginning. What format should I be saving my pages in PSE for printing photo books to maintain a high quality image? Should I be saving a photoshop file to be able to edit if need be later and a print file?

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Hi!
    You'll need to save a full size version of your layout in jpeg format for printing. I save as 3600 x 3600 because I scrap/print in 12"x12" and 300 pixels per inch. Really, the resolution of your photo is what dictates how well it will print. Most photo sites will tell you if the image isn't high enough resolution to print, but with those settings, I haven't had a problem.

Saving the Photoshop file is a personal decision, and you'll see many opinions on that! Me? I save them. I don't have a space problem, so it doesn't matter to me that they take up room. That said, I have deleted some once I've printed them. Because I probably won't reprint them! I always save them until after I look at it online because it seems to be online that I notice all the spelling errors and other misprints! Like the time I named a baby cousin his brother instead....

When I finish a layout, I save a print copy, and a web copy and the PSD. That's my process. I like to do it all at once and move on to the next photos.

KellyM and srcourtney like this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I ditto what Courtney said. I have 3 folders within my PL folder - PSD, Full size JPEG, and Web. From time to time, I do decide to go back and switch out a card or background or something, so I like having the PSD. The JPEG is what I upload to print, and the web is for galleries. I just do it all at once as I finish the page as well.

KellyM and srcourtney like this.