Beauty is pain | pad patter 2.12.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Feb 12, 2018.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Have you heard the saying beauty is pain?

My daughter wore the cutest heels ever to the sweethearts dance on Saturday. Unfortunately those heels tore her feet apart and now she can’t wear anything but a flimsy pair of sandals. She literally has blisters on the tops of her toes and the backs of her feet.

[​IMG]

Back in the day I wore the high heels and tried to be as beautiful as possible, but now that I’ve grown up I realize it’s more important to be comfortable. Sure I still have some heels but I don’t wear ones them very often. I only wear them when I will be sitting for most of the time.

How about you? What have you done that was painful for the sake of beauty?

bbymks5 likes this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

oh my yup.. the shoes :) I am with you Kayla.. now that I am older, comfy shoes are the best :) So sorry your daughter is in pain. New shoes need to be broken in I guess. I remember we always had to carry bandaids around. I hope your daughter feels better soon!

3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

There was a time when I only felt comfortable in heels. I wore them so much for work that walking around in flats actually hurt my feet! Now it's the reverse. I don't wear heels at all. I have some cute pairs but as soon as I put them on and walk around the house for a minute I'm like "nope" and run back up to change them out! :giggle

My daughter loves heels and thinks they are fun to walk in and enjoys wearing them whenever she can. They can certainly cause blisters etc, so I feel for your daughter Kayla. I agree with @cfile ... new heels may require bringing along bandaids! Hope she feels better soon!

cfile likes this.
  4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I've always stuck with comfortable and practical.

Rikki likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm sorry your daughter's feet got so torn up! That is the worst! I hate to wear shoes anymore. Fortunately, it's always hot and hotter here, so I live in flip flops. I danced so much (ballet) when I was younger, so my feet are pretty banged up anyway. I used to have to wear heels to work, but I could never wear anything very high. If I HAVE to wear shoes - it's only very comfy flats. When I have to go up north in the winter, I have two pairs of comfy boots that I can wear all day.

6. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Oh my goodness! When I was younger I wholeheartedly believed in fashion over function. I'm old now! I went to a YouTube function a couple of weeks ago. They were honoring our retiring mayor (YouTube is in my city). Anyway, I wanted to look great. I had originally planned to wear flats, but my dress got dirty, so I had to wear a different outfit. It was a jumpsuit that required heels. So there was my 5 foot tall self in some 4 inch heels. I was dying! I was leaning on tables, stretching my quads, it was awful. As soon as I left, I sat on the YouTube sign & took off my heels. I ran barefoot a block & a half to my car. So, my life is mostly lived in sneakers these days.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  7. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

How funny that I am sitting here with a new pair of shoes on!

I buy Clark's shoes for work, in a specific size, and I find they fit the best and are the most comfortable if I break them in with a pair of fuzzy socks. I don't wear shoes in the house, but today I'm wearing shoes that have never been outside, and my feet are a little pinched because of the socks. (If I just start wearing them, I'll actually end up limping by the end of the day, but a few days with bulky socks, a few hours at a time, seems to stretch them enough to be comfortable. If this wasn't my fourth pair of shoes that I've done this with -- over a span of eight years -- I'd question whether it was worth it!)

One Easter I wore a new pair of heels to church; traditionally we go out to dinner after service and then walk around the village where we eat. My feet hurt so much that I had to stop at the spa and buy a pair of $35 flip flops! (They cost more than the heels!) I will say they are the most comfortable flip flops I've ever worn -- I never wear flip flops because they are too uncomfortable -- and I always take them with me now whenever I wear heels to church, just in case!

My daughter doesn't like heels, but at a certain shoe size, it seems like the dressier ones all have some sort of heel.

Other than that, I don't think I've endured any pain for the sake of beauty. I will do things that take an annoying long time, but not things that are painful! (When I was in high school, I spent two hours on my hair every morning. I wouldn't do that now, but it didn't seem like anything to do it then.)

8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I was a slave to fashion when younger. I had never worn flats of any kind until I moved to the west coast where fashion was more casual than the Toronto area and flats were the norm. I still wore heels for many years, especially at work or social functions, but at home on wkends I started wearing flats more and more often. Nowadays, I only wear flats or short chunky heels that are comfy. My fave are Sketchers and other comfy slip-ons, or short chunky heeled boots.

9. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Back in the day, I occasionally wore high heels that hurt but not very often. I'm a pretty practical person and it just doesn't make sense to me (plus, I think it's kind of sexist). I've had laser hair removal too which doesn't hurt very much, actually, and I love not having to shave!

10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

When I worked at a CPA firm, I ended up wearing heels quite a bit especially during tax season when I met with clients. But, mine were never more than 2 inches. I've been out of that job for almost 19 years and hardly ever wear heels. The job I had after that one was way more casual... heck, by the end, I was wearing jeans every day!

Now if I need to wear a dress, I have 2 pairs of low heels (3/4" maybe), one black and one white that I will wear. Wore the white ones to a wedding in April and even for those few hours, my feet hurt!

When I see all these gals in their 20's that wear those huge spike heels constantly, I just wonder how much damage they are doing to their feet.

I may be short but I want to be comfortable... that means sneakers and flat shoes/boots.

11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I adore shoes, and back in the day, I would wear the tallest spiked heels possible, I could dance all night and run in them if needed! I am a tall women, and wore them proudly, always felt like an Amazon Woman (of jungle not shopping) bhhahh
    and now, I wear Sketchers, walk abouts. I have a black leather and brown that every 4-5 months I order new. I wear them with dresses, jeans and dress pants. lol
    Come summer, it is sparkly flip flops,
    I had a pair of sandals, I tried white ones on, they were so comfy, I quickly picked up a matching pair in black...they were horrendous. I wore them somewhere? and threw them in the garbage!

Karen and cfile like this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have heard of that saying, but I don't agree. I hardly even notice what people look like. I notice what they do. I have never cared about fashion. Jeans and t-shirts have been my style since I was a kid. I've never worn high heels.

My 14 year old daughter loves high heels though, for some reason. I have not tried to discourage her, but I don't understand how they can be comfortable. She hasn't had any complaints and walks fine in them so I guess they can be.

13. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

It's funny because I just turned 38 and am happily wearing things that are too tight, too high, too sparkly for fun! Everything I wear now is bright, colorful, patterned, floral, sparkly, and/or gold.

I lived for so long as an adult as a frumpy SAHM that now that I'm finally working & have the $$$ to have nice things, I'm doing it! I didn't realize until the last year or two how much I adore beautiful (in my eyes) things on me & surrounding me.

It was the best feeling in the whole world to finally have enough new clothes that I could get rid of all the hand-me-downs and second-hand things I had been wearing the last 10+ years. I hadn't realized how awful they made me to feel --- like I wasn't 'worth' new pretty things, KWIM?

Anyway, more power to y'all who are doin' the comfy thing. I'm so happy to finally be out of sweatshirts and jeans and old sneakers but I'm sure I'll go back to comfy... sometime. :giggle

Pachimac likes this.
  14. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Beauty can be painful. in a LOT more ways t6han shoes....
    I'm very little so I wore lots and lots of heels, but always tried to make it something that was comfy....as much as possible.
    I can't wear a lot of heels because since the first operation of the series of 2003, I have a leg longer than the other so my shoes.sandals./boots need to go hospital to have a shoe rise of 3 1/2 cm in the left leg. That makes it impossible to wear the most loved boots, which I would wear 24/7, even though is a small heel... Cowboy Boots.

I have cried because of that LOL

Now, when you talk beauty and pain, more than shoes, I think of waxing.
    My mum had a lady who came to our home, when I was 11, she made me start waxing. They are Syrian my parents, and I was not only hairy genetically,. but the medication and plasters I had from birth to 8 years old with all my 9 operations until then, apparently made m,y body hair grow more....
    These days I hardly have in my legs, and my arms have less too, with age it gets less and less (though thank goodness I have a full head of hair still!!!)

15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I used to wear heels a lot and still do occasionally, but I'd much prefer to be barefoot or in sandals these days. I also have 3 pairs of Birkenstocks that I adore, and my converse and sketchers that I even wear with skirts occasionally. I wear dresses most every day to work, so when I get the chance to not have to I get excited...jeans and t's and shorts and leggings...it's all about the comfort, not the style!

I'm like Cynthia @MrsPeel ...when I saw pain and beauty, I immediately thought about waxing. My leg hair doesn't grow nearly as fast as it used to because of the age thing, but that hair seems to be showing up on my upper lip other places that it wasn't before :giggle I can take the eyebrows, but man, above the lip hurts!!

blueberries and MrsPeel like this.
  16. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I used to have heels for work, but that was many years ago. I avoid heels at all costs now. My Allbirds are my favorite shoes.

My daughter loves heels. Although she doesn't wear them all that often. It's funny because she's quite a bit taller than her closest friends, but she's a little like Anne...

... she loves being REALLY tall. :-) In dance this year they do a piece in high heels... she does a disk (I think that's what it's called... a turning jump of some sort)... I really don't know how she pulls it off with those shoes!

17. tkradtke

Have you tried the Flawless facial hair remover? I love that thing!

18. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I am hurting just by reading you!!!!!! so true that it starts growing more in the face!!!! I even get hairs in my chin....horrible hooooorible!!!!!!!!!! I have a little bit of waxz for those which I do at home.... but the lip is alwayus the one I leave the longest, oh pain!!!!!!!!

blueberries and IntenseMagic like this.
  19. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Oh gosh, no, I haven't tried that, but I'm thinking I seriously need that in my life!! Thank you for sharing, Tracie!!

20. tkradtke

I linked to Ulta which is where I got mine... but I've seen them everywhere now. I think I even saw them at Walgreens the other day. Let me know if you get one!