Banned Book Week

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Tiff, Sep 27, 2016.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

you summed up what i was trying to say better than i did. thank you. i'm so sorry your son had to see that and be the one to have to care for her under the influence! that must have been extremely scary. you've got an awesome young man that you have raised. that is very admirable. and being able to talk these scary things through with us parents or teachers or peers in a positive setting is huge for me. so far that is the only book that was on the line (for me anyway) that i had to think really deeply about before placing it in her hands. but i'm guessing its the start of more to come maybe? i just want my kids to grow up while i am there to stand next to them rather than when they are away at college. (i know the growing up will also happen then and i can't be there for all of it, but if i can expose them to things they are actively questioning now ... i guess i am all for it!) :beat as difficult as it may be!

2. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I remember when Forever by Judy Blume was the big controversy back in the day. It was nearly banned, but wasn't in our local school. We were in 6th grade, and it wasn't in our library, but we had heard that it was in the junior high library. Being the "rebel" with junior high library privileges, I checked it out. :giggle

My daughter's high school teacher had extreme political views and tried to ban her from bringing a Michael Moore book into his class. Like she couldn't even carry it in with the rest of her books. It was freaking ridiculous. She did it anyway.

The only time I wanted to censor a book was when my adult daughter was reading the 50 Shades of Grey. And that was just because they are so horribly written it caused my writer brain to twitch. :giggle

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I had no idea books got banned in this day and age. I am all for censorship, especially anything sexual or verbally explicit. Kids are exposed to way more than they should be. but I wonder if it goes too far sometimes. Some of those books I really don't get it.