Authors

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by scrapsandsass, May 14, 2016.

1. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Do you have a mental list of authors whose books you will automatically buy/add to a library list even before you know what the books are about and/or get excited when you find an author you like who has multiple books already in print?

Stephen King is definitely my top author. I'll pre-order any book he writes and actually buy them. :giggle

I really like Liane Moriarty's books for a quick/easy/fun read and have her upcoming release held at the library (when it is released). I don't buy her books because they are usually one-sitting reads for me, so it doesn't make $ sense. Lauren Beukes is another author I like. And Michael Connelly. I'm sure there others, but those are the ones that pop into my head.

What about you?

janedee likes this.
  2. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

Sharon Bolton is one I would add to those above. I think I've said before we have very similar tastes @scrapsandsass :giggle. I also like Gillian Flynn, Sophie Hannah, Maggie O'Farrell.

I'm currently reading the latest Lesley Thomson, which is part of a series that started with The Detective's Daughter. It's a detective story with a slightly paranormal edge.

I only recently discovered Lianne Moriarty, I've been getting them on Amazon AudibIe. I like listening to her books when I am doing chores, the narrator who reads her books is very good imo.

scrapsandsass likes this.
  3. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Oooh. Thanks. I'll have to check those out. :)

4. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

A couple of my favorites are Susanna Kearsley, Alice Hoffman and Sarah Addison Allen. I don't really buy many books though, I get them from the library and only buy one if I truly love it.
    Favorite mystery authors are Michael Connelly, Tess Gerritsen, Jonathan Kellerman and Kathy Reichs.

Lindzee and scrapsandsass like this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I love Liane Moriarity's books too! I have them on my Amazon's Kindle Wish List and I buy them when they go on sale (or I find them second-hand). Other gotta-read authors are Jennifer Weiner and Janet Evanovich. But really I try to find all books on sale because I really like to buy books. :cool: And this series isn't for me but I buy every new "Magic Tree House" book for DD.

scrapsandsass and enjoyyourpix like this.
  6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Not since high school when Madeleine L'Engle was my favorite author and I collected all of her books. :)

Oh! I just thought of an author I felt that way about since reaching adulthood: J.K. Rowling. Actually, it took until the second half of my 30's, after my daughter (at the age of 6) asked me to read the Harry Potter series to her. That was in 2007 and I already owned the first 3 books because I had been a teacher (but hadn't read them). Quickly I completed the collection with used copies of books 4-6, and, as soon as it was published, the brand new hard cover Deathly Hallows. When she published Casual Vacancy, I bought it, as you said, without even caring what it was about, just because she was the author. It was interesting, but very different, and very sad. Her writing was still awesome, but I can't say it's one of my favorite books.

scrapsandsass and Tree City like this.
  7. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Ann Patchett, Joyce Maynard, Wally Lamb, Jodi Picoult, Lisa Genova and Ken Follett are all authors that have never disappointed me!

8. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Yes.
    Louise Penny
    John Grisham
    Patricia Cornwell
    Jeffrey Archer
    David Baldachi
    Michael Connley
    Lee Childs
    Jo Nesbo
    Ian Rankin
    Kathy Reichs
    Both Kellermans

jesskab and scrapsandsass like this.
  9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I started reading serious crime novels with "The Girl with the..." series. From there I've gone into most scandal-crime and love a political thriller but only if it's pretty accurate.

Henning Mankell (r.i.p) esp his Wallander ones now back on PBS
    Jo Nesbo
    Val McDermid
    Donna Leon (95% of hers til the very last where I think she was either ill or just tired of the series)
    John Lawton

eta: I've found that if there's an early one in a series that my library or State system doesn't have, I can often get a copy on Amazon. Otherwise, I rarely buy books except used ones from independent stores.

10. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

I agree. I didn't like the story much, too depressing. I've read the first two books in her crime series, written under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith. Really enjoyed those, although the second one is rather gruesome. I haven't read the third yet, I have a feeling that's going to be gory too! I'll get round to it eventually, as I do love the characters.

11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Anne Rice
    Stephen King
    Kate Morton
    George R.R. Martin
    Barbara Kingsolver
    Sue Monk Kidd
    Louise Erdrich
    Dorothea Benton Frank
    Wally Lamb
    Melinda Haynes

12. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Both authors listed below have written outside of the series, and they are also wonderful. I don't read much, but I do love re-reading these books about every other year.

Earlene Fowler, except that she's not writing at the moment. She mainly writes murder mysteries with a quilt block theme. Very fun, entertaining, and I wish her characters were real.

Jennifer Chiaverini, for her Elm Creek Quilts series. Again, novels with a quilt theme, but this time each book's theme is a different type of quilt, or quilting that was a part of history. Also again, I wish her Elm Creek Quilt Camp was real, for I'd go there in a flash.

13. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

EEk! I'd never, ever sleep at night if I read his books! You are one brave woman, Cheryl.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've read his books since I was a teenager . . . not a super fan or anything, but I love his writing style and how he explores fear and human interaction . . .

15. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

Melanie Dickerson. She has a fun twist to classic fairy tale stories. They are based in Christian Fiction under the young adult category I believe, but I love them and I will feel safe suggesting them to my daughter as she gets a little bit older :)

16. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

Madeleine L'Engle was my favorite author when I was a kid, too! I saw her speak at a Barnes and Noble one time when I was about 13, and it was the highlight of my year.

I absolutely love JK Rowling. Have you read any of the Cormoran Strike series? Those are by her, too, though she writes under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith. They're absolutely fantastic. I will always read anything by her.

scrapsandsass and janedee like this.
  17. gwtwred

Yup, the third one is really gory. :) Fantastic, though - definitely a page-turner.

scrapsandsass and janedee like this.
  18. gwtwred

George R.R. Martin, Barbara Kingsolver, and Sue Monk Kidd - yes, yes, yes. I haven't read any of the others.

19. gwtwred

For most authors, even ones I typically love, I at least want to see a synopsis of the book before committing to it. I can be pretty picky. By Jon Krakauer is one author whose books I will always immediately order. He's written about such a diverse range of topics so far, but all of them have been fascinating. I love everything he's written.

20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I read the first Cormoran Strike and that was a fun one. A bit lighter than my usual crime ones but I'll keep up with this series.