Asana Yoga Questions (and a running back story)

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by GlazeFamily3, May 1, 2018.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

After YEARS of wanting to run, being told I couldn't be a runner, trying to train and failing miserably, I finally found a running program that worked for me this year. It could have to do with all of the work I did prior to beginning this program to build muscles OR it could just be the new program... I was running three days a week and alternating that with interval training, exercising 5-6 days a week.

I was feeling incredibly successful. I was toning my legs, an area I have always struggled to tone AND though I have been in a healthy weight range, I am finally below my pre-pregnancy weight (my daughter is almost 10, y'all).

Problem number 1 is I definitely wouldn't say I enjoy running. I enjoy seeing results and I enjoy that amazing feeling of actually doing something I have wanted to do for years. But I wouldn't say that I actually like running like so many of my runner friends do.

Problem number 2 is the reason why doctors have often told me I cannot be a runner- my knees. I have severely misaligned knee caps that caused me to spend a long time in double knee braces and my husband and I spent almost our entire second year of marriage at three times a week physical therapy dates (he had broken his collarbone, requiring two surgeries). I have worked over the years to build the proper muscles in my knees but the truth is they just wear out faster then they should. A few years ago, I began experiencing clicking in my knees when climbing stairs or doing squats or lunges. The doctor told me the cartilage was worm out and that clicking sound was my bones. After running, this clicking intensifies and there is some added discomfort I don't usually experience.

Problem number 3 began about a month ago. After running two miles (consistently, it would hit at two miles), I began experiencing a pretty severe pain that started in my right hip and radiated down to my knee. It would pretty much force me to stop my run because it hurt so much. I found out it was my IT band. I took some time off, rested, iced, and stretched it.

Today, I decided I'd do a 1.85 mile run on the treadmill- under that 2 mile mark I had been having issues at and a relatively short run to get me going again. 1.25 miles rolls around and that IT band issue started earlier than normal. I tried to push through, but after 1.5 miles, it was too much.

During my running break, I began looking into others ways I could stay active and fit and continue to tone muscles in a way that 1- I might actually like and 2- would be easier on the areas of my body that are taking a beating from running. I know there has to be something out there that is truly a great fit for me.

I am totally intrigued by Asana Yoga. I did some yoga while pregnant with my daughter and I absolutely loved how it made me feel- and as an added bonus, I enjoyed the sessions immensely. I would really like to give Asana Yoga a try. I feel like it has potentially so much more to offer than I was even looking for.

If you have any experience with Asana Yoga, please weigh in and give me a some tips, where to start- anything you want to share.

A bit more...
    - I have looked at the Asana Rebel app and it looks fantastic. If you have any experience with it, I'd love to know.
    - I probably don't know the proper names for any yoga pose. My daughter loves to do cosmic kids yoga (and I do it with her sometimes) and they call everything some cutesy name. So, any previous knowledge I had has been replaced by that.
    - I have a yoga mat, brick, and strap, but I am open to getting whatever I'll need to have the best home practice.

Thanks for any advice or tips and for reading that long novel.

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have been practicing yoga in an instructor led class for over 10 years. Love it! I have no idea what kind of yoga we do, a mix I think.

If you can find a local class to attend, I would encourage that over doing it with a video. It is so easy to do a pose incorrectly and possibly injure a muscle or joint. Having someone there to correct you (and challenge you) it worth it. A good instructor will also find out what injuries or sensitivities you have and then tell you how to modify a pose to keep you safe.

If you can't find a local class, then find a video that teaches modifications for a pose and tells you why you should use a particular modification. Modifications are things like, if this hurt your knees, put a rolled up blanket under them. If you are having trouble reaching the floor, then use the brick. If high lunge hurts your knee, then do low lunge instead. You get the idea.

And lastly, there is no competition in yoga, except for challenging yourself to stretch a bit more each time. You should not be overly sore the next day.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  3. GlazeFamily3

While a class sounds GREAT, I am definitely looking more for something I can do at home. We have an odd schedule and I struggle to commit to things that are consistently at the same time, because our schedule is anything BUT consistent! Thank you for everything you shared about modifications. That is definitely something I will explore.

4. BevG

Hmm - a few comments on the couple of Asana Rebel videos I saw on YouTube. They are using yoga poses but they are moving through them very quickly. There is also yoga where you get into a pose and then you hold it for a long time. That holding builds muscle too.

I notice there is no talking - how do you know what the correct position for the pose is? Do you point the foot or flex it? If you go this route, please be careful of yourself. But then again, I do "old lady" yoga so I need the cautions.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  5. GlazeFamily3

The no talking at all is what I wondered about too... In the beginning at least, I need some guidance. I didn't know if that was how ALL videos are or if it was just the ones I looked at... maybe somewhere there is something more appropriate for those just starting out?

edited to add- I do need more than just stretching from whatever I choose to do, though stretching is definitely good. I am just extremely flexible, so it takes a lot to give me a good stretch.

6. BevG

Out of curiosity, I did a search on You Tube. Check out YOGATX. She moves through the positions fairly quickly but she gives you lots of instructions. Something like this maybe?

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Bart can touch his toes, but that downward dog just doesn't quite work for him!

[​IMG]

8. fanon

fanon Well-Known Member

9. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Yoga can really help support other sports and activities! I've been practicing yoga for 28 years and teaching it for 16.

There are a couple of recommendations I have for online yoga. My very favorite teacher is Sadie Nardini. I've followed her for a few years online and did a 9 day yoga retreat with her in Santorini, Greece, last September. What I love about her is that she's got an exceptional background in anatomy and biomechanics. Everything she does is supported by science with a concern for safety. She's super-good about how to track the knees and acknowledging that not all knees need to be lined up in a certain "ideal" way because we're all built differently.

At the same time, when she teaches, it's very accessible, conversational. Sadie gives a lot of content away for free on youtube, her app, and I think she has a couple of subscriptions elsewhere as well. Her style is Core Strength Vinyasa (CSV). It's great for runners (well, good for anyone who has tight hip flexors and quads, which is a lot of people, lol) as there's a lot of strengthening as well as mobility around the hip.

Asana = the piece of yoga that's about poses, as opposed to meditation, breath, austerity, etc.

Vinyasa = one type of asana practice, where movements tend to flow from one into the next. You'll hear it called vinyasa yoga, sometimes power yoga. Ashtanga yoga is a famous subset of vinyasa yoga.

More thoughts later, but take a look at Sadie. If you tell me what you like or don't like about her, I can steer you in the next direction. I've studied live and online with a lot of teachers in a lot of styled.

bestcee likes this.