April Photography Challenge

Discussion in 'April 2016 Challenges' started by lcpereyra, Mar 28, 2016.

1. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

This month’s photography challenge is a technique challenge - the rule of thirds. The rule of thirds is a basic design principle which helps you see, frame, and balance your photo in a way that is pleasing to the eye.

Simply put, rule of thirds divides an image into three horizontal areas and three vertical areas. It is as if you placed a tic-tac-toe grid over your image.

[​IMG]

The areas where the lines intersect are the cross points and often perfect areas to place whatever you would like to highlight/your subject as this makes for a naturally soothing and interesting image. These cross points are often where our eyes automatically gravitate to so when you place your subject on one of them, it makes a more balanced image. In addition, the vertical and horizontal lines are natural places to align leading lines in your photo such as skylines, sunset horizons, and other objects in your photography. The goals is to not have everything centered in the image so that the eye can become more engaged in the photography.

Here is an example using a photo I recently took of my son skiing:

[​IMG]

This was a quick snap with my iphone, so it is easy to see that the rule applies regardless of what type of camera you use. By aligning my son and the horizon with the lines created from the rule of thirds, I captured a memory that is visually appealing. The subject and the landscape are balanced and don't compete for the eye's attention which creates a nice overall image to look at.

Your photography challenge this month is to take a new photograph using the rule of thirds. Then scrap it - many times the rule of thirds is perfect for designing a scrapbook page too!!! Think about the lines and cross points when placing elements and important lines of your page design.

Here is my layout for this challenge:

[​IMG]

Bonus tip: Some cameras have grid overlays that you can turn on and see in the viewfinder. This allows you to have a reference when composing your shot. It can be very helpful until you feel more comfortable see things this way.

Bonus tip #2:
    Many editing programs have a feature to turn on a grid when cropping your image. This allows you the ability to crop an image in alignment with the rule of thirds. So if you didn’t shoot it quite right, you can make the image more balanced to the eye.

Bonus tip #3:
    Of coarse, there are times when you want a centered image, and that is fine (rules are made to be broken!). Many times with portraits, you have a centered image, but compose the photo so that you align the eyes with cross points to make the centered image feel more visually balanced. It is important to first understand and have a strong sense of applying the rule of thirds in your photograph BEFORE you start breaking the rule. :)

Most of all, have fun and happy April!

Please remember the monthly challenge rules: Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a guest spot on the Lilypad Creative Team! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    berniek, MrsPeel and FarrahJobling like this.
  2. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

LOVE!!! I am quiet sure our Cannon & even the old Nikon have grids, I will e taking some photo Saturday!!!!! :heartlub

lcpereyra likes this.
  3. MariSt

MariSt Well-Known Member

Great challenge!

lcpereyra likes this.
  4. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

In the photo of the puppy, his eyes are in the top third and in the photo of his name tag, the tag is in the right third. Very fun challenge -- THANK YOU!
    This is not a new set of photos. I'll have to be back with a new layout if they won't work.

Okay, I'm back with a newly taken photo from today! It is still a dog but not the same dog LOL!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    ljonezy, jesskab and lcpereyra like this.
  5. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

That is a cute layout! Because this is a photography challenge and the requirement is to apply the photography skill while taking a new photo, I hope that people honor this requirement. It's awesome to use the rule of thirds with all of your photos, but for this challenge please execute it on a new photo taken this month. :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    dvhoward likes this.
  6. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

My little photographer is on the left one third with her head at the top one third.

[​IMG]

ljonezy, lcpereyra and dvhoward like this.
  7. dvhoward

Well, that's what I get for not reading through ALL the instructions LOL!!! As I was making my layout, I thought it was a great one for one of the other challenges, so I'll do a switcheroo and come up with an appropriate one for this one. Thanks for the quick response. It's beautiful outside today so I'll get on it!!

lcpereyra likes this.
  8. dvhoward

I changed my original post Lori with a photo taken today. Thanks for the challenge.

lcpereyra likes this.
  9. pitiscrap

pitiscrap Well-Known Member

Here is my photo, taken this afternoon :

[​IMG]

tlcd1961, lcpereyra and ljonezy like this.
  10. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

Please remind me in future to pick a more agreeable subject :) I was willing it to do another circle so that I could focus properly, but it just wouldn't and it went all over the place not in the predictable trajectory, harrumph, swans, hey? Right?
    [​IMG]

djp332, lcpereyra and jesskab like this.
  11. ljonezy

ljonezy The thingamabob that does the job is chocolate

12. MariSt

MariSt Well-Known Member

13. chigirl

chigirl Candy Corn junkie

14. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

15. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

Mr. K's eyes are on the top third. The light was so pretty yesterday morning! Thanks for the great challenge!
    [​IMG]

bestcee, ljonezy and lcpereyra like this.
  16. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

17. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Here's mine.
    [​IMG]

lcpereyra likes this.
  18. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I took this pic at the tulip farm with the rule of 3rds in minds- the yellow tulip at the intersection of the LR. :)

[​IMG]

lcpereyra likes this.
  19. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

I don't have the grid overlays on my cameras, so I did the best I could when taking the photo and then had to crop it so that it would line up exactly. She's sitting right at the intersection of two gridlines.

[​IMG]

lcpereyra likes this.
  20. silent ranks

silent ranks Don't forget to turn back around

The top right hand grid cross is directly on the bridge of his nose. Drawing you to his face.
    [​IMG]

lcpereyra likes this.