Anyone use iCloud for storage?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by KatrinaHunt13, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Not to contradict HavaDrPepper, but technically Backblaze backs up EVERYTHING on your computer: you actually set up Exclusions in the settings menu. You can choose to exclude a file type or a folder. For example, I have my BB set NOT to back up my desktop because I keep random stuff on there and it's nothing important. I also have it set to exclude certain file types, like dump files and some other stuff that really bogs down the backup. (Backblaze's website has info with screen shots.)

BB is set up to back up everything so that nothing is missed. They think that overkill is better than accidentally forgetting to backup an important folder.

Genniejoy and A-M like this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Well, @Tree City my setup also has EHD's that are not automatically backed up. I've already plugged in new EHD's and they were not automatically added to the backup. I had to choose to add them to the backup. As for the other, I don't remember because I've had it so long! So technically we may both be right. :)

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Both. You can choose what you want backed up. Or you can backup everything.
    I started having it back up photos, and then once that was done, I told it to backup everything. That way I knew my photos were safe first!

KatrinaHunt13 and A-M like this.
  4. bestcee

Multiple backup is never overkill in my book! Especially an off site back, and a on site backup!

This is true. If you plug in a new EHD you do have to tell it you want it to backup. But as far as the actual computer, it will automatically back up everything on that.
    But, once you tell it to recognize that EHD, you don't have to tell it again. Unless you reformat it, taking off the Backblaze file that it recognizes.

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

And if you unplug it, you have to take it out of the backup settings if you no longer want it to back up. Ask me how I know that (answer earlier in the thread) :)

KatrinaHunt13 and bestcee like this.
  6. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

I'm with you on that! There was well over 1,000 photos on my EHD that went bad. That is why now I use iCloud and Google AND my EHD!! Not taking any more chances!!

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  7. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@bestcee or anyone else using Backblaze.... does it back up Zipped files?

8. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I use BackBlaze, Shutterfly, Shoebox, Google Photo and Icloud for my photos. I also have 2 EHD - 1 is just photos and the other is my digi-supplies and completed layouts.

My backblaze account is mainly for photos but I am thinking about having it backup the digisupplies/layouts EHD to. I was more concerned with photos since my taste has changed in supplies and I figured I could either rebuy or get new kits.

KatrinaHunt13 and A-M like this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

Mine is. Over 250MB of zipped files in my backup.

bestcee, KatrinaHunt13 and A-M like this.
  10. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

You girls are so helpful. I just got my new Laptop and a new 2T EHD and the tech guy set it up so that I plug it in every first Monday of the month and it will automatically back up everything. I love that. But I also have another new 2T which I manually back up my photos and layouts to. I also am wanting to do BB but haven't yet. Intending to! :)

bestcee and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  11. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

I am totally thinking the BB route, I just need to take the time to do it. I moved everything from the EHD over to the main computer that has the time capsule on it for now. The problem is I keep forgetting that I need to update the folders I mess with!

bestcee likes this.
  12. bestcee

Yep. As answered above.
    It won't backup Time Machine, but since I don't have a Mac, I haven't looked into that....
    Also, it doesn't backup NAS drives (You would know if you have one).