All about keys | Pad Patter 6.14

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jun 14, 2018.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So i've spent a while this last month cleaning out my craft cupboard where so much 'i need to keep this' stuff resided & i found one of the first keyrings i bought myself as a souvenir (from a trip to Melbourne, I think it was the first time i went on a plane) and I've always kept it even though it isn't a particularly cool keyring because it has 'Justine' typed legitimately on it and growing up I could never find anything but Justin (and i'd use a not-Sharpie texta and add an 'e' on the end and it would inevitably rub off) on those 'personalised' products so this was an extra special find! Now you can get any name printed on anything really and I'm too sentimental but I still love keyrings.

Do you have keyrings on your keys or are you like my brother who went to unlock my car recently and commented on all the junk i have and how many keys and how it weighs a ton? What's on your keys at the moment?

I have a cute red enamel charms keyring my Mum bought me in Canada a few years back (it has a boot, handbag and maple leaf & i <3 Canada on it); 2 Minnie Mouse (?mice), one's a Tsum Tsum version and one is a Pop Vinyl version and a Frozen Anna Tsum plus one with pics of my kids in it; plus 6 normal keys for the house, 1 old fashioned key (it looks like how you'd draw a key in Pictionary) that is for the laundry/garage door that everyone comments on because no one apparently uses that sort anymore! and the big car key with all those buttons on it.
    I used to have all my keys on a lanyard and wear them all the time when DS was little (he locked the backdoor on me as a toddler once and thought it was funny so wouldn't unlock it -fortunately there was another door open but it was a 'what if?' moment) and I had less keyring 'junk' then but i like the bulk of it, easier to find in my handbag but i think i've maxed it out!

bbymks5, cfile and amien1 like this.
  2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have monKEYs :giggle...

IMG_0004 3x4tlp.jpg

I have had those key covers for probably seven years at least... I love them... they're part of the family now :-) In addition to the monKEYs, I have our mailbox key, a Chicago keyring that my husband bought me as a last minute stocking stuffer from the airport gift shop and a Tile tracker. I haven't had to use the Tile often, but I love having it.

3. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

my key bunch is at it's lightest for years. I only have a souvenir from Hobbiton in NZ, (a sign form the movie 'no admittance unless on party business') and a tiny Totoro figure form Japan. One house key and the car key. I did have my gym access pass on as well but kept forgetting to bring them if I drove my husbands car so they live in my gym bag now. My husband has a Lego Chewbacca figure on his.
    I did use a name tag for years with the name Yvonne on it. My eldest had sticky fingers when he was little and grabbed this from an outdoor souvenir stand in Sydney from his pram. Didn't notice until we sat down for a rest and he was chewing on something looking very pleased with himself. It was leather and must have tasted good to him..

cinderella likes this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i just googled and read about the tile tracker! what a handy thing! (love your MONkeys! i have a nailpolish stripe on the back of the mailbox key cos the kids used to say 'mum, which key's for the mailbox again?' & it's easier to say 'the pink one' & now they know ;) ) @tkradtke

5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I started collecting key chains when I was in high school. I had a ton, but when I moved out I got rid of them all. I wish I'd kept my Wooly Willy and tic tac toe key chains cuz the kids would have liked them lol.

So now I just have the Wonder Woman LEGO minfigure key chain the kids gave me and that's my only adornment (besides my grocery and library key cards). As for keys: I have the house key, which is just for backup as we have a keypad lock on the front door and on the garage door. I also have my car key, of course, but I keep DH's car key on a separate chain all by itself.

6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

bwahaha I was thinking Yvonne must have been your middle name - too funny!

7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

wow you are living the high tech life!
    so it's like an etch-a-sketch? i was a bit worried googling that one!

KatrinaHunt13 and Tree City like this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love key rings, but I don't have very many currently. I just have an owl on my car keys. On my school keys, all I have is my fob to get in the doors, my badge, and 2 door keys. I keep them separate because I never have to use my car key (not really a key, just a fob), I just have to have it close to the car to unlock it and inside it to start it, so they sit in a pocket in my purse most of the time. It does have my house key on it, so I do have to get it out when I need to unlock the house. I used to have a bunch of key chains until someone, and I don't remember who, told me that having a lot of weight on the keys was bad for the ignition. But now that I don't have to put a key in the ignition, maybe I need to get some new ones!!

9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have my car key, which in my opinion is HUGE compared to the size of my car - a Kia Soul LOL. I have our house key, my mom's house key, and my dad's house key. Then I have 5 key cards - Winn Dixie, CVS and Walgreens rewards and then two library cards (me and Daniel). No key chains since excessive weight is hard on your ignition.

2018-06-14-20.32.jpg

10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

All I have on mine are my car key and a house key. My "keyring" is a flamingo that has a purse hook on it. I hook it in my purse right before I zip it up. I always know where my keys are.

11. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I really like it... I especially like that it works both ways. I can track my keys with my phone and I can track my phone with my keys. Oh... and although I find this a bit creepy, it is cool... if someone has the tile app and walks past your lost keys, the app will automatically send you a notification of your item's current location (in theory anyway... I've never had to use that feature... I generally only lose my keys in my house or my purse... lol!).

12. Tree City

:compcoffee yes, you're correct my wonderful Justine. It's kind of like an etch a Sketch except it's little metal flakes that you move around with a pen-type tool. background paper is a cartoon of a bald man's head: you use the pen to move the flakes to give him hair or a beard, etc .

As for being high tech...naw, we just like the idea of DD being able to get into the house easily without needing to worry about giving her a key to keep track of. :)

amien1 likes this.
  13. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

My kids like to buy key chains to put on their backpacks from our vacations- and the plus side is that I can hear them walking up the hill from the bus stop a mile away (not really, it's three houses- but man, those metal key rings & stuffs are LOUD!!!) ;)

My keys have a little pink coach heart key ring that hubby got me for valentine's day a bazillion years ago- otherwise it's just my car key, mailbox key, house key, lake house key & a my library card key.

My hubby's new car is SO fancy- it doesn't even have a key. Our phones are our key, but if the phone is dead or doesn't work- we have a card that looks like a credit card as the key. You just have to set it in the cupholder. Weird!! SO nice to not have to carry keys! (Random pics of other people's cars off the webs)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have a lanyard with my house key on it - right now it’s tied in my handbag so I don’t lose my key in my handbag

15. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I love key chains... I had to take a lot off of mine @bellbird Justine, as I was getting yelled at as it was getting too heavy and not good for the car ignition. I have one my friend who passed away 10 years ago gave me of my name in a long clear cylinder, the house alarm and 3 of the grocery/haircut place quick cards and then the 2 house keys and the car key. I never lose them as I keep them in my purse/pocketbook and the long key chain name is quick find. I really don't keep alot in my pocketbook/purse anymore so easily found!

16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I’m simple and like to travel light. House key. Car key. ClickinMoms camera key chain I got as a freebie at some point. Before I got the camera key chain I didn’t use a keychain at all. I actually had a third key for most of the last year, but removed it a month or so ago. It was the key to the box where we locked up the knives when my daughter was suicidal. I separate my two keys almost every day. When I go on my walk I take just my house key and the camera key chain, slipping it on my finger like a ring.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

My main key ring was given to me by the Alumni Association of the University of Toledo. I have had it for a long time. I have a Toledo Rocket lanyard attached to it along with a small flashlight my former employer gave out to all employees. The keys are my car fob, house key and key to the back garage door.

A secondary key ring (Budweiser Ice Draft that Dad got in FL one year) that I only use when I take walks has a house key, the back garage door key, a key to the fence gate and a key to my cousin's new house.

A third key ring is a Caribbean bottle opener I got on a cruise 8 years ago. Only key on it is the car fob. That is the key I give to anyone working on my car. I had a problem many years ago because I had car issues and my uncle dropped me off at work and drove the car to where he worked to fix it. I got a ride home from work but couldn't get in my house... the garage door opener was in the car and the house key was on the key ring that was with my car. So now if my car is serviced I never give them the house key. I also had an keyless entry pad installed this winter for the garage door so if this would ever happen again, I could at least get in the garage where I do have a house key hidden.

I have a "key" holder inside my back door where all these live. Also on there is a key ring with no keys. It says A+ Best Teacher with a tag that reads "Wapakoneta Schools 1955-1986". It was given to my mom when she retired. It is such a little thing and not taking up any space so I just can't get rid of it.

18. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I travel light ... I have a wristlet and just attach my car's key fob to the wristlet handle part. I never lose my keys that way bc the wristlet is big enough to find. But the Tile tracker is something my hubby could sure use! He is constantly losing the car keys. I keep a spare house key tucked inside my wristlet ... in case the power goes out and the garage door openers don't work. But that's it.

bellbird likes this.
  19. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

I used to collect keychains when I was younger- I clipped them to my backpack and used many of them when I first started driving. I've since lightened the load (too much weight like Cheryl said) but keep a few so I can still find the keys easily in my purse! I have the house key, mailbox key, car key and button, and a Mickey & Minnie keychain. And a handmade wristlet so I could loop the keys to my wrist or clip it to my large tote when I use that instead.

My husband just found an old box with some of my novelty keychains. I remember having a Wooly Willy so I wonder if its hiding in that box!

bellbird and Tree City like this.
  20. Tree City

How fun that he found that box! Hopefully Wooly Willy is in there cuz it's just so silly (and fun). Plus...you can make a LO and @bellbird Justine can see what the heck we're talking about lol!

bellbird and Sunberry2 like this.