Academy Awards Questions

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dawnmarch, Jan 31, 2017.

1. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I haven't seen any movies on that list and probably won't watch the academy awards. The only news, entertainment or otherwise, I get is what pops up in my facebook feed.

2. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

oops. You're right -- I missed that one! Darn, thought I had check off at least one complete category!

3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Bummer... I was hoping it was streaming somewhere and I could have a complete category as well! I saw that a couple best picture nominees just got released at Redbox yesterday (I think Manchester was one of them). I might see if they're available so we can squeeze them in before Sunday.

4. dawnmarch

Really!? I'm going to check it out. I don't want to have to buy it!

ETA: I see that you can now rent it on Amazon too -- better than buying but still more expensive than Redbox.

5. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

Just rented Hacksaw Ridge from Redbox to watch tonight and hope to rent Manchester by the Sea tomorrow or Friday. We have a potential blizzard coming this weekend so I may need to stock up on movies and watch some of the documentaries on Netflix. Bingewatch OJ Simpson Saturday!!

6. dawnmarch

I got Manchester from Redbox and watched it last night. Wow, that was sad. Really, really well done, though. I thought all the acting was amazing. My hubby hates those kinds of deep/dsyfunctional movies so he would have hated it! :D

So, now I've seen 6 of the 9. I'm missing Hacksaw, Hell and Fences. From the reviews of Fences, that is probably the one I will take a pass on -- I think I can miss Denzel talking for 2 hours. If anyone has seen it, let me know if I'm wrong.

And, while I was tallying that up, I noticed that there are only 9 Best Picture nominees this year (when 10 are allowed). So I looked up why: http://nypost.com/2014/02/27/why-there-are-9-best-picture-nominees-at-this-years-oscars/

7. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

I watched Manchester last night too. SO sad!! But really, really good. I can see why they say Casey Affleck should win best actor...he was so good. I also watched without hubby. :)

Renting Hell or High Water tonight hopefully.

So I didn't see Lion, Moonlight or Fences.

8. tkradtke

We're not going to get anything rented, but we do have tickets for Lion this afternoon (I've heard that I need to bring kleenex). Clara is going to see Hidden Figures with the youth group tonight, but I haven't seen it yet. I didn't so good with Best Picture Nominees this year... but feeling good about branching out into other categories this year.

Manchester by the Sea was sooo good but so emotionally draining! We rode home in silence after... we just couldn't process it all.

9. dawnmarch

I watched it last night -- loved it. It was one of my favorites in terms of actually enjoying the movie even if I'm not sure it's quite in the big leagues with some of the others.

10. tkradtke

Oh gosh... we saw Lion this evening. Loved it... but if I hadn't been in a public movie theater, I would have ugly cried through most of it. Every woman in the ladies room after it was red eyed and either wiping eye make-up off or reapplying. Anyone else see it?

11. dawnmarch

Well, that was some weird, awkward ending to the show last night. I was just about to go to bed when they said, "wait, there's been a mistake" or something like that.

Anyhow, I ended up seeing all the Best Picture movies except Fences and my predictions were pretty spot on. I was kind of rooting for Moonlight, just because I feel like the Academy always fawns too much over movies about themselves/Hollywood. It's just too bad that the mix-up kind of tainted the win for the Moonlight people. What did everybody else think?

12. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

ARRIVAL
    FENCES
    HACKSAW RIDGE
    HELL OR HIGH WATER
    HIDDEN FIGURES
    LA LA LAND
    LION
    MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
    MOONLIGHT

Haven´t seen anyone and like some of you already said most of these films would probably not be my first choice when picking a movie - except Arrival.
    I´m aiming to see Arrival, La la land and Manchester by the sea.

13. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

What ended up happening? I ended up not watching it. Started off political and turned it. Totally not what I was in the mood for. And have been out all day so I never did hear who won what.

14. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

Man, usually I would be so all over these questions! What a great topic! My hubby and I are huge movie buffs but we just haven't gotten to see too many this year. Normally, just in our course, we would have at least seen all the best picture nominees. But, this year, I don't think we even saw all the movies in the animated category, which is much easier with kiddles, lol... I saw Hidden Figures and really want to see La La Land, Lion, Arrival, and all the rest!

We were super disappointed that Zootopia won over Kubo and the 2 strings... We love Disney movies, but that particular one didn't tell as lovely a story as some of the other choices in that category.

Now, I HATE to watch award shows of any kinds. I don't care if they rant or what they rant about. I just get so bored watching them. I don't care about the dresses all that much and feel like sometimes knowing too much about the actors can spoil their performance for you- especially when someone uses their own accent and you thought they were doing an accent or what not, lol... But, because hubby works in/with "the industry", he always watches all of them. He records them on the dvr so we can fast forward through most of it. I try to miss it if I can, lol. He'll call me in if he thinks something will be interesting to me or if someone falls on the stairs (I always laugh, I feel like a jerk, but I can't help myself)...

Anyhow, hopefully next year I will have more solid opinions to share! My facebook feed did blow up when they mis-announced the winners of the Best Picture category and I couldn't help but say that they pulled a Steve Harvey. I didn't actually see it though, but it seemed like Beatty could have just said "wait, we have the wrong envelope" and avoided the whole thing. He clearly saw something was amiss...

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

15. dawnmarch

Everything went fairly smoothly up til the very end. Casey Affleck - Best Actor; Emma Stone - Best Actress; Viola Davis -- Best supporting actress and Mahershala Ali -- best supporting actor. I was glad that no one move really seemed to dominate.

Then, at the end, Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway walked up to present the Best Picture. Apparently, someone handed Beatty the wrong envelope (they handed him another copy of the Best Actress envelope. So, it said "Emma Stone, La La Land"). So, he opens it up, looks confused and hesitates on reading it. Dunaway thinks he is fooling around/joking, glances over at the envelope and reads "La La Land" out loud. The whole La La Land group celebrates and troops up to the stage and 3 people gave thank you speeches before someone finally said, -- well, actually Moonlight won. There is mass confusion, awkwardness etc. as the Moonlight group works their way up to the stage and the La La Land people head for backstage. It was a shame that the Moonlight people really couldn't enjoy their victory properly, given the weirdness of it all, even though everyone was very gracious about it.

16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, I didn't watch it live. I just caught the videos online. But didn't it seem a little contrived? Like, how do we make this interesting?

17. dawnmarch

Do you mean the mistake at the end? I didn't get that sense -- especially since it kind of made everyone look like idiots and I doubt "Your So Vain" Warren Beatty would have willingly gone along with that.

18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yeah, I meant the mistake at the end. I don't know. It just seemed a little off. And I think I've seen the Academy Awards talked about more today than any of the last few years!

19. tkradtke

We watched the entire thing last night until the end. As soon as La La Land was announced as the best picture winner, we turned off the tv and went to bed. Once in bed, I checked fb one last time and realized what we had missed!!! I think why we turned it off so fast is because I wasn't thrilled that La La Land won... I enjoyed the movie, but it wasn't my pick for best pictures.

I haven't seen any of the animated movies, but my kids who have seen several of them were disappointed in that win.

I did not see as many best picture nominees as I had in past years... so I didn't have as much knowledge as I should have when picking winners. I really wanted Lion to win something... I absolutely loved that movie.... I wasn't even going to be picky about what it won. I just wanted it to win something :-)

I'm not sure what I thought about the OJ Simpson documentary winning. We didn't get through it all (it was close to 8 hours long), but I would have thought that we should have been more motivated to get through it all if it was an Oscar winner (if that makes sense). @rchansen Did it pick up the pace as it progressed? You watched it all right?

I thought The White Helmets would win in the short documentary category... although they were all really good.

Piper was the only animated short that we saw and I was rooting for it. The animation was just amazing and the whole story was so sweet.

I really need to see Moonlight. I tried to get someone to watch it with me Sunday afternoon before the Oscars, but Jeff went to Michigan for the Michigan State basketball game and my son had a bunch of homework :-/

Back to the mix-up at the end. It seemed real to me at the time. The exchange between Beatty and Dunaway was way too awkward. Who knows though.

20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Perhaps Beatty and Dunway are just too old... to think fast on their feet.:helpy