Academy Awards Questions

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dawnmarch, Jan 31, 2017.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I haven't seen any yet as I'm married to a non-movie man. I do want to see Manchester but I can wait for Netflix etc and eat and pee with pause!

2. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

catgoddess likes this.
  3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Oooohhh!!! Thanks for sharing this! It looks like we can get a few more movies in... especially documentary shorts! My son is home early from school today (finals), so maybe we sneak in a couple.

If you want to attempt the OJ Simpson documentary... it was streaming for free on our On Demand. It has been split up into episodes as part of ESPN's 30 for 30 series. However, like I said before, it's long... total run time is 467 minutes. But the episode format makes it a little more manageable.

4. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

I agree. I have never liked that about awards shows. They ruin everything. That being said, however, we rarely go to the movies, so more than likely I've never watched any of the movies. I heard that La La Land won a ton of Golden Globe awards, and I had never hear of that movie up to that time. I read about Lion, and I want to see that one, but after it comes out on Blu Ray/DVD.

I agree with this, too. I remember that we rented The English Patient after it won for Best Picture sometime in the 90s. What a depressing movie!

cfile likes this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

It's funny you say this ... last year my two teens - who are at total opposite poles as to what they like to watch, ended up watching the awards together. It was so weird. We don't watch this stuff at all ... and it isn't really like them either. They rarely watch TV together too. They said they don't even know how they ended up putting it on ... but got sucked in.

6. dawnmarch

Wow. Just finished watching it. Very powerful and illuminating.

tkradtke likes this.
  7. tkradtke

Yes... but definitely not dry. It was really engaging and it left me wanting to dig deeper on a few things. The stats given in the movie are disturbing.

8. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

There are a few on the list that I want to see but must wait to rent them With my hearing problem, I can't deal with a movie theater. I miss about half of what they are saying. When I rent, I have my earphones. I agree with the politics. I started watching the SAG awards and after the first half hour, just gave up and turned it off. Was so disgusted with all the politics! That's NOT what they are there for!!!

9. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I don't necessarily watch the SAG awards or Golden Globes, but I've been watching the Oscars every year for many years. It's one of my things.

I haven't seen any of the Best Picture nominees yet but my husband and I have our tickets to the Best Picture Film Festival that our theaters do over two Saturdays in February. This is the 3rd year we've done this. We'll see 4 films on the 18th and 5 films on the 25th. The theater dedicates one screen to the marathon with about 30 minutes between movies and concession specials just for the festival goers. This year it will be in a theater with Dreamlounger seats so I was able to go in and select the seats beforehand.

I am just so happy that my husband does this with me. He's more of an action film kind of guy so it means a lot to me that he'll come and sit through dramas and other films that are not his style. It works out though because I know I napped some during the Mad Max film last year. :)

10. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I am right there with you. I'm already hiding from Facebook and...well, pretty much the whole world right now because of the vitriol. Not going to purposely invite it in.

I haven't seen any of the movies on the list...probably since none of them have the words "Star" or "Wars" in the title. :giggle In all seriousness, though, Darren and I really want to watch Arrival when it comes out on disc, and he and the guys will probably watch Hacksaw Ridge. He'll have to tell me if it's "Melissa Friendly" or not before I see it. I can handle anything up to and including Black Hawk Down, but he has to watch it and rank it first. :)

11. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I have not seen a single one.
    But, planning to see LaLa Land this weekend. I'll probably eventually see some of the others when they are out on DVD - especially Hacksaw Ridge and Lion.

12. scrappydonna

scrappydonna Blah blah blah

Only watched Arrival so far. Wanting to watch Hidden Figures, maybe this weekend. I heard from a friend that it's a good movie.

13. tkradtke

@dawnmarch Have you watched anything new? We watched the short documentary The White Helmets the other day. It was emotionally draining. It's on Netflix... although we couldn't figure out how to turn the subtitles on when watching on our Apple TV... so I had to play it through my macbook and use airplay to watch it on the tv.

14. dawnmarch

Yes, I saw White Helmets - I think that was my favorite documentary short and I've seen them all now. I really, really like that category. The films are short but impactful.

I also watched Jim, the James Foley Story which was related in theme to White Helemts and made me cry. The loss of his and of course so many other lives in Syria is such a collosal waste and tragedy.

A couple nights ago, we rented Florence Foster Jenkins on Amazon. Sweet story and Meryl Streep was really good but I would vote for Emma Stone over her for best actress. I've only seen those 2 from that category so far.

I think this weekend, I may buy and watch Moonlight since that one has so many nominations in so many categories. I'm definitely going to try to see Manchester by the Sea and Loving prior to awards night but it galls me having to pay $15 to buy them.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  15. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@tkradtke Thanks for the hint on getting subtitles via the iPad etc. I've missed them on some foreign shows.

16. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i've seen hidden figures and la la land.

i'd like to see lion and manchester by the sea

17. tkradtke

I'm glad that helped you! It was seriously making me crazy trying to figure out how to turn on subtitles on the apple tv. It's so easy to turn them on when using a laptop, phone or iPad.

18. tkradtke

How did you watch Watani? That's the only one we haven't seen. We watched Extremis, 4.1 Miles and Joe's Violin last night. We just streamed those. The theater by us had them all back to back, but I'm not sure I could have handled it! So much emotion in such small packages. I was a mess... thankfully we ended with Joe's Violin, so I ended with a happy cry.

We are just not going to get to as many of the best picture nominees as we had planned. My son having a job where he works nights on the weekends has really impacted this... and then add in my husband's travel schedule and my daughter's unexpected hospital stay. We may not have seen as many best picture nominees as last year... but we've definitely seen movies in more categories this year which is really cool.

19. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I had some time to kill on Saturday when I was at a speech tournament. There was a theatre nearby and Arrival was playing right in the time I had available. It was good. I think I might watch it again on HBO or Netflix eventually. There were a few things I need to see again. It definitely messed with my mind a bit.

20. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

We watched Arrival last week, and I think that my jaw was hanging open pretty much the entire time! I wanted to see it because I'm fascinated with cultures and languages, but it was a brain-bender beyond that for sure!

enjoyyourpix likes this.