Academy Awards Questions

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dawnmarch, Jan 31, 2017.

1. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

The Academy Awards are less than a month away! Nominees for best picture are

ARRIVAL
    FENCES
    HACKSAW RIDGE
    HELL OR HIGH WATER
    HIDDEN FIGURES
    LA LA LAND
    LION
    MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
    MOONLIGHT

I'm curious what people think about the nominees:

1. Have you seen any/all of the movies?
    2. Which is your favorite that you've seen?
    3. Are there any you think shouldn't be on the list?
    4. Any you think should be on the list but aren't?
    5. Do you go out of your way to see all the movies and, if so, how do you do it? [I'm always surprised that theaters don't offer a "Best Picture" film festival right before the awards weekend where you could see them all.]
    6. Do you go to any Oscar parties or participate in any "pools" where you try to predict the winners?

2. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Hidden Figures is the only one I've seen. I really enjoyed it. I don't think I know about any of them other than La La Land (which I'd like to see).

Cinemark/Century is offering an academy awards pass where you can see the movies. I don't think all theaters offer it.

cfile likes this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have only seen Hidden Figures but I heard Fences was good too. Not going to watch the Academy awards... not wasting my time to hearing the political rants. Not interested in that.

kimingvtx, jk703 and Sokee like this.
  4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Yay! Love this topic! We started this as a family activity last year (a perk of having teens) and we're making a stab at it again this year.

We have seen La La Land and Manchester by the Sea in the Best Picture category. We watched A Man Called Ove from the Foreign Language Film category Friday night. We started O.J. Simpson: Made in America from the Documentary category, but it is SEVEN hours and FORTY-SEVEN minutes long. Finishing it just isn't going to happen. And Saturday night we watched the documentary 13th.
    Geez... La La Land and Manchester are so different from each other. Loved the both, but I think I might have Manchester on top at the moment. 13th is amazing and definitely worth watching... it's on Netflix.
    Hell or High Water... but the only reason is because I don't really want to see it but probably will have to since it's on the list and out on dvd already. LOL!
    Honestly haven't seen many other movies... this is our movie binge for the year. That said, I was hoping Jackie would be nominated for Best Picture as I really would like to see it.
    5. Do you go out of your way to see all the movies and, if so, how do you do it?
    Yes! We have a google doc set up right now with all of the movies in the major categories and how to see them (theater, dvd release date, on demand, netflix, etc.). Our little art house theater by us has all of the nominated shorts showing soon... my son really wants to add those into the mix this year.
    6. Do you go to any Oscar parties or participate in any "pools" where you try to predict the winners?
    We watch at home and we all have a list of our predicted winners. Last year I got a bowl of candy from the bulk candy store and with each "win" you got to pick something from the bowl. Not sure if we'll do that again this year though.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    cinna likes this.
  5. dawnmarch

Wow, Tracie, you are hard core! :cheer

6. tkradtke

Hey... when you find something your teen kids are interested in doing with you, you run with it! LOL!

(Although... they won't necessarily sit with us at the theater)

7. dawnmarch

Here are my own answers:

I've seen La La Land and Arrival. Tonight I'm seeing Hidden Figures.
    Probably La La Land but, honestly, I didn't LOVE it and I'm hoping to like some of the others better when I see them.
    I'm not going to say it shouldn't be on the list, but I do think La La Land has been overrated a bit with receiving (I think) 14 nominations. It's a good movie but it isn't the best movie ever made!
    Can't think of any.
    5. Do you go out of your way to see all the movies and, if so, how do you do it?
    I try to see the all the ones that I can stream. I do try to get out to the theaters for the others but I don't usually succeed in catching them all.
    We print ballots and guess the winners at home.

8. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

The only one I've seen is La La Land. It was good because it was so different from other movies.... But for BEST picture, I sure hope not. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it! I really want to go and see Hidden Figures and I have plans with my sil but we can't seem to get the same day free. Just might go on my own to see it soon!

I totally agree with this!

cfile likes this.
  9. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

ARRIVAL
    FENCES
    HACKSAW RIDGE
    HELL OR HIGH WATER
    HIDDEN FIGURES
    LA LA LAND
    LION
    MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
    MOONLIGHT

I'm curious what people think about the nominees:

1. Have you seen any/all of the movies? Seen La La Land, heard of only Manchester and Hidden Figures.

I used to when I was single and worked for a media company. We'd have a great party where we'd all dress up, either in fancy clothes or some movie character depending upon the year. We'd have ballots to fill out beforehand that would be tallied and our results compared to the Academy's. There would be prizes for the people who guessed right and lots of finger foods to eat. It was so fun. It was also in the Midwest where it played an hour earlier than the East.

Now I'm in bed at 9:00, so I just read about it the next day and watch the clips on YouTube. I do the same thing with elections. I just poop out too early!

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I haven't even heard of most of those. I feel so out of touch. ;) I did go see a few movies in the last year, just none on that list. I have never really followed awards shows or such.

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I want to see Hidden Figures and La La Land.
    Overall, I rarely pay attention to what is nominated or wins, because it doesn't change my opinion on a movie or whether I'm going to see it. It's a stranger's opinion, and doesn't affect my movie habits. I'd rather get movie suggestions from my peeps here :tu

12. tkradtke

My issue with a lot of the nominated movies is that they are rarely "enjoyable"... they are thought provoking, emotionally draining and heartbreaking usually. I'm not sure how motivated I would be to see them at other times in the year. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pick them for a night out... I would probably go with something much lighter. For example... Manchester was amazing, but it left us so emotionally drained that we all rode home in silence. Last year was depressing as well... Spotlight, The Big Short, Room... not movies you would see for "fun". All that being said, as a family activity, we really enjoy it and we have had some amazing conversations after seeing the movies.

bestcee likes this.
  13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm actually watching Hell or High Water as I type this. :) We're about 10 minutes into it and I can't decide what I think. :) But I do love Jeff Bridges.

bestcee likes this.
  14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This. (Well...he sentiment. I want to see Hidden Figures and I haven't seen Fences, lol.)

cfile likes this.
  15. dawnmarch

Even though I agree with some of the ranters' sentiments, I question whether an award show is the right forum for politics and I can see how it would be really annoying if you don't agree or just want to escape partisan nastiness. Plus, nowadays, the Oscars come after the Golden Globes and the SAG award where rants have already been ranted. How many rants do they need? :giggle

Sokee and cfile like this.
  16. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

I haven't seen any of the best picture nominees, which has been pretty typical the past few years! I might catch one or two of them at some point in the future (i.e. on-demand rental or on cable).

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I haven't seen any yet but I do want to see Lion.

18. tkradtke

I really want to see Lion... I have heard great things. My friends are saying that the lead actor should win the Oscar for his performance.

19. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

Saw Hidden Figures and La La Land. Both really good. Want to see Manchester by the Sea, Fences and Hacksaw Ridge still while they're in the theatre. Going to rent Hell or High Water. Loved La La Land...Ryan Gossling...duh!! I love him and Emma Stone together. And it was so different. Loved the music. Liked how it played off like an old Hollywood movie but didn't have the ending of your classics.

I have a girlfriend from High School who has an Oscars party every year. I try to see as many of the Best Picture nominees since starting to go to her parties a couple years ago.

20. catgoddess

catgoddess Well-Known Member

No, but we'll rent them. I agree with the comments about enjoyablity, so even though we love a good thought provoking movie, we don't generally watch them in the movie theatre.

5. Do you go out of your way to see all the movies and, if so, how do you do it? [I'm always surprised that theaters don't offer a "Best Picture" film festival right before the awards weekend where you could see them all.]

We just wait to have them available on Netflix or Redbox. Regal Cinemas was doing a play pass to see the nominated films, but not in our area.

Nothing official these days, just chatter among friends and family. When I was teen, I worked at a movie theatre and we used to host parties and one year I was able to go to the huge city party that all the media attended. That was great fun and everyone dressed up. There was a red carpet, yummy food, and we watched the Oscars and had our own "ballots".