2018 Oscar nominated movies

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dawnmarch, Feb 16, 2018.

1. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

The Academy Awards are in 2 weeks (!) and I'm trying to see as many nominees as I can again this year. I didn't make it last year but this year I've seen 6 of the 9 Best Picture nominees so I'm getting close. And I've heard such dismal reviews of the Phantom Thread, I'm not sure I actually want to spend time on that one. :D The good news is that so many of the same movies are nominated in a variety of categories that you don't have to see too many to have seen most of the movies nominated for awards!

Anyhoo, what have you seen? Any predictions for awards? Any you are rooting for?

2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

We are sooooo far behind this year! I have seen exactly TWO of the movies so far. I'm going to have to abandon my family and start watching them without them! It's me, my husband and my son who try to see them all. We all three went to see Dunkirk back when it was in the theater. We've all seen Three Billboards (but not all together) and my son saw The Post without us. What have you seen so far @dawnmarch?

I really want to see the shorts as well. They're playing now at the theater by us. The boys are gone skiing for the weekend and Clara has a dance lock-in, so maybe that's what I should do with myself.

bestcee likes this.
  3. Nightshadow

Nightshadow Pancakes are their own food group

I can only comment on two of the nominated movies. I rarely watch award shows, but am making it a point to see "The Shape of Water" just because I like the premise and the trailers looked fascinating. We saw "The Post" a couple of weeks ago. I was pretty bored but my DH loved it. I think it may be an age thing. I'm 9 1/2 years older than he is and lived through that time, he was just a young child and found it fascinating. One thing I really didn't like is that the sound was very inconsistent. During several sections of the movie when Meryl Streep was speaking, her voice was so soft I couldn't understand what she was saying...I blame the sound engineer for that.

4. dawnmarch

@tkradtke I've seen The Shape of Water, Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, Get Out, The Post and Three Billboards. I liked all of them but, honestly, have a hard time deciding which I like most since I didn't totally love any of them. I've also seen Mudbound, Bladerunner 2049, Beauty and the Beast, Kong: Skull Island, The Last Jedi, War for the Planet of the Apes, The Big Sick, Roman J Israel, Esq. and Icarus. I'm hoping to still see Ladybird, I Tonya, Call Me By Your Name, Victoria & Abdul (I have that one from Redbox to watch tomorrow) and the Florida Project. And maybe a few of the foreign language ones although they are hard to find.

The shorts are playing here too and I was also debating going by myself. Too bad we are not closer so we could go together!

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Me: Hmmm....I wonder how many I've seen!
    (Googles....starts thinking what movies are these????)

I'm seen The Big Sick (Original Documentary). It's on Amazon.
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Sound Editing/Sound Mixing)
    The Greatest Showman (This is Me Original Song)
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Visual Effects)
    Kong: Skull Island (Visual Effects)
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Visual Effects)

Apparently, I like my movies to look amazing! :rollin

Any favorites so far that I should make it a point to see?

And honestly, I love Beauty and the Beast (Hence my tagline). I just can't decide if I can bring myself to watch the live one....

tinkerbell1112 and dawnmarch like this.
  6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

lol.. oops just like last year, I haven't see any of them. I guess I will wait and see them on cable.

Enjoy the Oscars everyone!

7. dawnmarch

The stand-outs, for me were Get Out (if you like scary), Shape of Water (beautiful and different) and Three Billboards (acting was amazing).

bestcee likes this.
  8. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

@bestcee - I would agree with Three Billboards (haven't seen the others Dawn mentioned though). I thought Dunkirk was great... but part of that was the theater experience. I'm not sure if it would have the same effect at home.

Just found this article and I'm going to try to get some things watched this weekend...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/01/oscar-movies-where-to-stream

Edited to add this article as well:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/watching/oscars-nominated-movies-where-to-stream.html
    And this one with some of the shorts:
    https://www.newyorker.com/culture/likes/what-to-stream-this-weekend-oscar-nominated-shorts

That is too bad! That would be so fun to go see these together!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    bestcee likes this.
  9. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

I definitely need to find a list of all the movies!!!

10. dawnmarch

cinna likes this.
  11. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

12. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

@bestcee, the animated 'Beauty & the Beast' was my favorite Disney movie growing up & is still in the top 2 after 'Meet the Robinsons' so I was just as reluctant to see the live-action version. It, however, is really amazing & I think is just as incredible as the first one. You should see it.

I'm incredibly totally ridiculously obsessed with 'The Greatest Showman' and think it should win all the awards regardless of whether it actually applies or not. :giggle

HeatherB, QuiltyMom, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  13. dawnmarch

I've heard this is a real crowd favorite (even tho the critics weren't kind). I think I have to see it (and, apparently, listen to the sound track!).

bestcee likes this.
  14. Nightshadow

Nightshadow Pancakes are their own food group

We saw "The Shape of Water" last night. What a gorgeous movie! We both loved it. It's up for 13 Oscars...and I can understand why. This is a "must see". :)

15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I really enjoyed it. It reminds me of Broadway in a way - larger than life, good music.

16. dawnmarch

I agree -- the filming is gorgeous! I enjoyed the story a lot too although my daughter could never get past the "ick -- she's in love with a sea monster" factor. :D

17. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

One of the art theaters in our area plays all the shorts for one ticket price. I may try to see them this weekend. Otherwise, I've seen ... zero of the nominated best picture movies. The only one I'm considering to see is The Phantom Thread - just for the costumer. We aren't big theater patrons because of the hefty price tag. We'd much rather go out for dinner for the same cost and wait until they end up as rentals or for purchase.

I most likely won't watch the awards again this year, just because they're getting so political. Yes, everyone has the right to speak their opinion, but I just want to see who wins, listen to the artists perform the best song nominees, and nothing else. Everything else I can see on youtube the next day or read in the papers.

One funny comment ... the Washington Post gave "The Post" four stars. I wonder if they were biased at all in their review? :lmao

18. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I agree!!

19. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

The only one we’ve seen is Get Out although we liked it I don’t consider it award worthy. I want to see Lady Bird, Shape Of Water and The Greatest Showman.

20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm married to a non-movie person (ditto tv) so I usually wait til they're out on streaming.

The only one I've seen (see above reasoning) is Mudbound which I really liked. I almost rented Dunkirk while dh is away (FL satellite launch) but thought he might like it. I do want to see Darkest Hour and The Shape of Water and naturally The Post. <-- any hometown story goes on my list esp if I've lived through those years!