11/22/63. How big is paperback?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by cookingmylife, Nov 15, 2016.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

i finally got this from the library but don't think I can get it read before vacation! 800 pages. Is the paperback the same size as the hardback? I am debating on taking a paperback copy with me or getting it with an Audible trial or final option...buying a Kindle version...

Thoughts? I'm the one who doesn't like reading on my iPad.

2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I'm no help... I read the Kindle version. Knowing how big it is now, I'm glad I that was the version I read. 1. Because it was more portable and 2. because I think I would have been intimidated knowing that there were that many pages!

3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

lol this is ONE huge book! I recommend the kindle version, because by the time you finish it, you will be addicted to the kindle...lol! I don't think I would like the audible...mainly because it is written so well, and the movie really happens in my brain. tee hee

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

For Stephen King books, I highly recommend e-reading. LOL His books make my wrists ache. I love them, but oh my goodness! Once I started reading them on my Kindle, I'll never go back. See if you can get over the reading on your device this one time. I think the story will help you forget what you're reading on.

scrapsandsass likes this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have the paperback and read it :)It is a good book.

6. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

You didn't say why you don't like to read on your iPad. I don't like to read on my iPad either -- I don't like the shape, size or weight of it and will read on it only as a last resort. I've always felt that way about it. I do my reading on either an e-ink ebook reader (discontinued Sony PRS-T1) or an Android tablet (discontinued NOOK HD+).

(I don't like to read on my phone, either. Last week, I was reading my ebook reader by the light of the flashlight from my phone. LOL)

Have you considered getting some sort of ebook reader to read it? There are some that allow library borrowing so you would be able to borrow books with it, if your library has a good selection. (My library does not have a good ebook search function, so I'm never able to figure out whether or not they have a good ebook selection.) Some libraries are good about getting books that are requested, so even if your library doesn't have it now, they might be able to get it.

Which doesn't help you right now, but if you like to read big volumes, it might be worth considering. I bought my first ebook reader because I thought it would be a better way to read the Outlander books. I have always read a lot of large books, but I read them more often now that I'm not put off by the size of the book or how ugly a font is.

Amazon has a "certified refurbished" Kindle Paperwhite on sale for $79 (new is $119) on the Today's Deals page. I don't use a Kindle, but I've heard good things about the Paperwhite.

I guess that doesn't help at all. Sorry. Good luck on whatever you decide! :) I have this book in my queue, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's one of those books that seems to be universally well regarded.

7. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have a paperwhite and I love it! Just the right size and the type is easy on my eyes. That was my issue with reading on my iPad... too much contrast, too bright, too sharp. The paperwhite has more of the look of a paper... but with the added bonus of being able to read in the dark since it's gently backlit. I've gotten so used to that feature that when I was reading an actual paperback a few weeks back, I got into bed with my book, turned off the light and couldn't figure out why I couldn't see the pages! :giggle

Karen likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

this exactly! :)

9. cookingmylife

Thanks to all. I will try to get it from a nearby county library before we go and if it's taken buy the amazon kindle version. I really like the feel of paper and almost never read such fat books. On the other hand my dh does read very long books and sore wrists got him to switch to an iPad mini.

10. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

my paperback is 9x6 for the cover and the book is just shy of 2 inches thick. It's a big one!!!

11. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

^^^ This. :giggle I'm glad someone else has this issue because I felt wimpy about it forever. :)

I took Duma Key (as a paperback) to London with me a few years back, and I finished it en route, so I left it in England rather than pack it back. :giggle

I now have most of my SK books on Kindle because I can't physically hold them for that long (and I read fast).

But @cookingmylife how did you solve your issue, and do you love it???

12. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I finally made the switch to ebooks for reasons already mentioned here. I am a very fast reader and carrying two or three books around when traveling was just too heavy. I also had problems with my wrists from holding them in the same position holding the books. It took me awhile to get used to the aspect ratio but now i read on my ipad and would never go back. I use the kindle app, change the background to sepia for ease on my eyes, adjust the font, turn my ipad on its side so i have two columns more like and open book, prop it on the cover so i don't have to hold it - and just read.

13. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

sounds like the Outlander series - average of 1000 pages. my hands hurt holding it. If you don't want to "show off with such a big book" (like me. lol), I'd suggest listening to it. I'm loving my audible trial!!

14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yeah . . . I'm a wimp. I have been reading a few "real" books because I've gotten them handed down to me, and the struggle is real. LOL

15. enjoyyourpix

the worst with those big books ... trying to lay down and read!!! I may or may not have dropped a book on my face when i was getting drowsy.

16. enjoyyourpix

and then having to keep shift and see what's in the gutter ...

17. cookingmylife

@scrapsandsass I had only one or two books with me but I was sick for most of the trip so I just watched movies on my iPad if I wasn't sleeping. I did buy a new 'Girl with the xyz" at Heathrow but haven't read it yet.

bestcee and scrapsandsass like this.