Anyone on goodreads?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by bcgal00, Oct 16, 2017.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Yes! I love their year challenge and have done it a few years in a row now- there's a few TLP bookclub books in there each year for the last few years (or however long we've had bookclub?!) - i consider these as like fitbit badges for my brain, cough, cough, #overachiever :giggle
    Capture-read.JPG

2. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

Where can I find my "books read for 2017" like you have here?

3. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

@meterr: It's the reading challenge, so you have to have set a goal for 2017. It's under the menu or account I think, depending on if you're on a phone desktop or in the mobile app...You could also see which books you've read sorted per year under the "read" category! Hope thus clarifies it?

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm the same... I love "badges" for achievements. I was kinda sad though when i looked at all the years I've done the reading challenge that I didn't finish in 2015 for some reason. Weird. I started doing them in 2011. :)

bellbird likes this.
  5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I've been on Goodreads a couple of years, and it's mainly to keep track of books I've read. Unfortunately, I usually don't have net access when I'm in a used bookstore looking for books I want to read.

I've read 92 books this year so my list doesn't all show but I'm Maureen on Goodreads. I thought I might make 125 in 2015 but didn't hit that so I stick to 100 and know I'll go over. Yes, I want those badges too @bellbird https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1222180-maureen

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 12.33.05 PM.png

Karen and bellbird like this.
  6. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

I love Goodreads to keep track of what I've read too! I've been doing the challenge for a couple years.

reading challenge 2017.JPG

bellbird and Karen like this.
  7. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

8. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I mostly read sewing, knitting, cookbooks and craft books these days. Yes, I read cookbooks cover to cover! But lately it's the craft books that have taken over

bestcee likes this.
  9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Wow...you're a big reader....that's a lot of books over the last couple of years!

bellbird likes this.
  10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@meterr in goodreads if you search for "2017 reading challenge", in the result page you will see the group tab to click and the link will come up. Just click the link and then on the left you'll see the join button to click.

Then you'll see your list of 2017 reading challenge books on the left side of your home page. You can also access it by clicking on your avatar (upper right and selecting the group from there).

meterr likes this.
  11. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@QuiltyMom I read cookbooks too, especially anything by Jaimee Oliver.

12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

ok... So, I'm basically set to private right now... how do I add frens? :giggle

@bellbird overachievers unite! Wonder Twins Power activate into the form of a.... BOOK! Bwahaha!
    [​IMG]

amandac, bestcee and bellbird like this.
  13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've been on Goodreads for several years but only joined the challenge this year. Only need 4 more to reach my goal. Before I joined Goodreads, I had been tracking my books using Word Perfect since 2011 because of tracking reading on another scrapbooking site I am a member of. The site isn't as active anymore (most interact on FB and Goodreads now) which is why I joined Goodreads. However, I still track my books on my computer as well as Goodreads. Switched to using an Excel spreadsheet I had set up for some authors that I like. I track the books in the series and if I have read them or not. I also put any notes about the books in there as well.

My preferred genre of books are cozy mysteries and harlequin-type romance books. I have also been reading more biographies as well. I have also been reading more series types of books and I hate reading them out of order which is why I set up the spreadsheet to track series by author!

bestcee and bellbird like this.
  14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Dh and I did spreadsheets years ago @HavaDrPepper but when Goodreads came along I switched. I really need to have a list of To Read on my phone though.

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  15. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I enjoy Goodreads - although this year I set my goal and then after a couple of months forgot about adding when I finished a book - very slack. I managed to get to 100 books last year and suspect I am on track again this year. Will attempt to keep track next year again. I don't mind giving bad reviews because I would hate to waste time on a book that isn't well written.
    If I find a book I want to read, then I download the sample from Kindle/amazon/google and link it to my phone. If I see a reasonably priced hardcopy I will buy that or just wait until it comes around on special on Kindle. I have my library list on my phone without downloading the whole thing. I have just gotten my first iphone so will have to work out how to manage that now...

bellbird and amandac like this.
  16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@jk703 Go to your goodreads page and at the top right click on your profile pic to bring up menu and go into settings to select "friends only" if you want to keep your status somewhat private. Then go to the icon next to your profile pic and the friends menu comes up. You'll see "add friends" in the right upper corner.

bellbird and jk703 like this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that is dedication! i do like goodreads suggestions from time to time - i do admit to having previously Excel tracked DD's 'i have and haven't read that one' for series when she was starting chapter books and going thru them like water and going nuts if i borrowed the same book at the library again without her presence! i found goodreads because of her!

18. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Yes I'm on Goodreads!
    After years of not reading, I'm back into the swing of it.
    I'm from a reading family and my sister recently told us that since we knew of my fathers diagnosis she hasn't been able to read. And now she's slowly getting back to it. Both my mom and me realized that, yes, we have been reading less the past years as well. It's very interesting how much of an effect it has had on things we didn't even realize at that time.

Anyway, I am "reading" lots of audiobooks and since I have a membership to BookChoice, a monthly Dutch e-book and audiobook prescription, I have been reading lots of Dutch books too. Funny, because for years it was English or nothing for me...

Oh and I'd like some more friends on GR! berniekwittendorp@gmail.com

Schermafbeelding 2017-11-18 om 12.18.00.png
    Schermafbeelding 2017-11-18 om 12.39.16.png

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    bestcee likes this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I loved the Tomorrow series! So was it available in Dutch?! Glad your whole family is getting back into it!

20. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

They are in Dutch translation, yes. But I’ve read them for the third time this year. They are just too good.

I got to know them 8 years ago when I lived in Canada. I read the paperbacks from the library.
    Back home I bought the Dutch translated books.
    And now I listened to the Australian audiobook versions from Audible.

I’m debating on starting the Ellie Chronicles soon. They’re not as highly received as the Tomorrow series.