Loving for Silvery Black and White Photo Action

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by KellyM, Mar 20, 2017.

1. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Hi Friends,
    A photography friend took this picture of my guys this fall and won't share her developing secrets. I am lusty after the smooth, silvery finish. Anyone have any actions that create this gorgeous look??? If so please share!
    Thanks!
    Kelly

untitled-11.jpg

2. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

I recommend Radlab. My only regret is not getting it sooner!!

KellyM likes this.
  3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

That's what I was going to say... looks like Radlab to me. And I agree... my only regret was waiting so long to get it. I also love their ProRetouch Actions.

KellyM likes this.
  4. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

Here's the link to Radlab
    https://www.gettotallyrad.com/radlab

I got mine when it was on sale, maybe 40-50 percent off. I really can't remember when I bought it. Sign up for their newsletter/emails and they'll send you coupon codes. It's amazing, really. I can't speak highly of it! Prior to RadLab I was spending money on My 4 Hens which adds up.
    http://myfourhensphotography.com/shop/shop-photo-editing-tools/photoshopactions/

I love My 4 Hens actions, but you get SO much more with Radlab and you can edit/alter each thing you add to your photos for a more customized, unique look.

bestcee likes this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm not sure what actions she uses, but I'm a RadLab user too. I love it! It would give you 75 looks in 30 seconds, and there are all different kinds of black and white ones... about 10-15 different versions, and all of those are changeable so you can customize how you want the color to be. You could replicate if you put the photos side by side.

I used to buy Paint The Moon actions too.... before RadLab.

Plus... I just learned that RadLab can be used with Lightroom too! Which is totally awesome, since I want to begin to use that to organize!

enjoyyourpix and KellyM like this.
  6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

The RadLab basic plugin doesn't really have that filter. some of the LR presets or actions might but it is hard to tell.

I just tried (quickly) to get a sort similar effect with a free software program by Google: Nix Collection. It's available for Mac or Windows. When you download the software - it will find LR and PS and allow it "access" (or whatever the install process is) these apps - so agree to that. This will let the App work as a Plug-in within both LR and PS. (using the software as a standalone app is not what I would recommend, but you can.) You want the Silver Efex Pro 2.

Once it is installed - here is how you access the plug-ins (if you have Rad Lab it works the same as Rad Lab) https://support.google.com/nikcollection/answer/3000959?hl=en&ref_topic=3000839

Depends on your photo and the tonal values of course, but I took a quick peek and liked Full Dynamic smooth and some of the Fine Art presets. So pick one that you think will get you close and then you can adjust settings globally - brightness, contrast, structure. Or - use Control points to edit specific areas of your photo. (Like I noticed the skin tones of your photo have quite a bit of structure -details and shadows in your son and husband's face. So I selected the skin on my daughter's photo by choosing Control Point then click directly on the skin in the photo area and adjust it). There's some nice color filters and toning filters that you can tweek and try depending on the photo.

Your photo also has a nice black mat finish - I usually use PS's gradient map adjustment layer to get that look. I showed how to do that in my Why it Works | Tinting a Photo post. Instead of choosing a color - choose a dark grey to replace the 100% black - and you will get that effect.

Hope this gets you close to what you want?

Here's what I did quickly with downloading the software right "out of the box" so to speak. :)
    [​IMG]

7. jenn mccabe

Kelly - here's the FineArt HighKey preset - much brighter. (but your photo is already so bright bc of the white wall and light colored pants your boys are wearing - so the comparison btwn my photo and yours isn't the best)

[​IMG]

8. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

far from an expert, but I think this is a low contrast/matte look. good luck!!

KellyM and AllisonPennington like this.
  9. KellyM

Thanks @jenn mccabe - I almost PM'd you before posting! :) You are a rockstar!!!:fairydance

Karen, jenn mccabe and cfile like this.
  10. jenn mccabe

**If you don't like the presets ... check out the different "films types" they have too.

Here's an action for the silver effect - it also has 4 adjmnt layers w/masks built in for tweaking. One is the gradient map. So you can run the action, then click on the gradient map layer, double click in the gradient map layer to open the dialogue box and go into the gradient to choose a dark grey instead of black to get the exact black matte finish you are looking for.

https://loadedlandscapes.com/free-photoshop-action-silver/ (the download link is just above the before and after photo of the cove)

11. KellyM

12. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

Here is one I have had for a long time and love - I wasn't sure it was still available but pretty sure this is it.... It's called velvet Matte Collection and the Action name that turns into into that silvery black & white & a matte finish is called Bermuda. You can combine the Actions and play with the opacity too! Have fun!
    http://photodealcafe.com/deals/PD_Matte

KellyM and jenn mccabe like this.
  13. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

WOW, is this ever greek to me!!! Wish I knew all that stuff. Just could never grasp actions or plug ins.

14. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

Before you go a buy something, there is usually free stuff out there if you can find it. That is a matte edit with a bit of contract added to it. Here is a link I quickly found online. An action set for Photoshop. One of the examples looks like the look you are looking for. However, it helps to get your photo correct for white balance and exposure before applying the action and then adjusting it.

https://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/fr...hite-photo-effect-actions-for-adobe-photoshop

KellyM likes this.
  15. KellyM

Thanks for all the great feedback friends!!!

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

so many great actions in this thread - even if there's no green ones...
    [​IMG]

17. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

I kissed the frog!

18. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

And my mind is blown *insert sound effects* way cool information!!

19. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

20. KellyM

Thank you @Vrielinkie - I will head there now! Appreciate the tip!

Vrielinkie likes this.