Any Experience with RUSSIA?!?!?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by MelissaMarti, Aug 22, 2017.

1. MelissaMarti

MelissaMarti Well-Known Member

Hey All!

I am looking for anyone who has lived in or traveled around Russia who can offer some tips/suggestions. My hubby and I just found out we have to travel to Russia for FIFTEEN DAYS this fall (holy smokes!!). We have only ever been to Mexico/Caribbean, so this is going to be a completely new experience for us. Russia has never really been on our radar, so we don't know what to expect. We don't have a ton of details other than we will be traveling around Western Russia (I imagine flying into Moscow). And maybe stopping over in Germany for a few days on the way back through.

I looked at the zeemap that was set up for our members (what a neat idea!), but didn't see any pins in Russia. I'd love some insights! TIA!

2. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Wow, how exciting! I have no insights as to travelling in Russia as I have never been there, but I started to learn Russian some time ago and wanted to tell you about a free Russian class that I took and that might come in handy.

It is on Udemy and it is perfect for beginners. Not very hard - it's not that you will learn an awful lot, but it will give you an idea of Russian. They are by an American (married to a Ukrainian and living in Ukraine), who also has a paid extensive course but he is not plugging it too badly, and he also offers a free class about the Russian alphabet. I always hate going to places without at least knowing how to read the letters.

MelissaMarti likes this.
  3. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I've never been to Russia, but it's huge so 15 days is not that much at all. Also, Germany is not that close really..

Anyway, I even though I have never been, the one thing I feel you just have to do is go see a ballet. Because that's something Russia is known for. I'm not totally into ballet, but culture is always important for me when I'm on vacation.

That's funny. American, living in Ukraine, has a Russian class/course. I mean it's totally possible, Ukrainian is spoken in Russia too, but it's not the same language then Russian is.
    But you probably know more about it then I do. I just thought it was an interesting thing.

bestcee and MelissaMarti like this.
  4. MelissaMarti

Thanks for the tips! I was looking into a Rosetta Stone course in Russian just to learn the basics, but I will check out the free course first :)

5. MelissaMarti

I think they were thinking about having our flight stop in Germany on the way home instead of Amsterdam and then we could stay there for a couple days on our way home. :) Ballet is a great idea! I'll have to see if I can get my hubby to go for it...

6. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

I've never been to Russia but I'm so excited for you! What a wonderful experience!

7. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

When our eldest son went on his gap year, his first stop was Russia! Flying into Moscow by yourself was a good test for him. He wasn't thrilled with Moscow but loved St Petersburg. I think he found it a much more beautiful city and also a bit more friendly to Westerners. If he had his time over, he would have only spent a couple of nights in Moscow and the rest of his time in St Petersburg. Not sure how flexible your timetable is but I would consider this. He only stayed in hostels so no accommodation tips, maybe that's all taken care of for you anyway.

Enjoy your travels, I always get so nervous travelling to a new area but have always loved the experience (I would love to go to Germany, it is high on my bucket list - my husband went for work and loved it)

MelissaMarti likes this.
  8. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Yes, it is. I just assumed he was living in a part of Ukraine that spoke Russian.

@MelissaMarti If you can do the Rosetta Stone then I would go with that. The free course is very very basic, and Rosetta Stone will definitely give you way more in a short time.

MelissaMarti likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I would want to see St. Petersburg and definitely the ballet.
    And my knowledge of Russia is limited to cousins serving church missions there and the show the Amazing Race. :blush

MelissaMarti likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I am no help, just wanted to say this sounds amazing!

MelissaMarti likes this.
  11. MelissaMarti

So you'll forgive me if I'm a little quiet on the scrapping front in November? ;) This is nuts - I don't do well with things like this on such short notice!

bestcee and gonewiththewind like this.
  12. MelissaMarti

Thank you for the input!! From what I've seen online, St. Petersburg looks very beautiful. I'm hoping we'll have an idea soon of where we'll be when - we're going to teach dairy farming classes, so we'll be in mostly rural areas, but they're building in time for us to do some sightseeing too. :)

KarenW likes this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Absolutely!

MelissaMarti likes this.
  14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I think you will have an amazing experience especially as you'll be teaching something you know as opposed to being in a tourist group. Being part of people's day to day life really gives you an insight to a culture.

btw, here at our library, Rosetta Stone is free.

15. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I spent 6 weeks in Russia in 1995, we took the Trans-Siberian Railway allllllll the way across from the Pacific side (Khabarosk) to Moscow. I can try to answer some questions for you, but I am sure there have been MANY changes in the past 22 years!