Great Minds Think Alike!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by cookingmylife, Jun 21, 2017.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Now I wouldn't think of adding a post about cleaning but when you find - or rediscover - a great product, you've just gotta share. And I have backup here at TLP!

[​IMG]

@Tree City uses it too! I had totally forgotten about Fels Naptha soap over the years since my Nana used it on my father's white shirt collars. Then I lived overseas for a long time and ..uh..maids did the laundry! But back here in the US I saw all the sprays etc but they never seemed to work as well as the ads. Imagine that! But I plugged along trying this one and that and thinking it was a lot of money to spend for halfassed results.

One day I was complaining, about a slight stain I'd got on some piece of clothing, to a friend who is the same age. Mature...She said let me give you something and gave me a quarter sized sliver of a yellow soap. Darn if it wasn't the old Fels Naptha and I kept it in a little zip lock bag with a magnet on my washing machine. Then dear sweet Janie bought a batch on Amazon and I was one of the lucky ones to get a bar ALL MY OWN. I'm thinking one bar will last me the rest of my life. It really really works and there's no spray, no odor etc etc. 4 bars for $10. so share with your friends. ( I just read that it works on poison ivy too...amazing.)

Now back to your regular scheduled programs...

2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Thanks for the reminder. I've got a bar of that in the back of the cupboard above my washer. I need to get it out and try it on a stain that DD made on her bathroom counter. I've tried everything else, so let's see if it'll work on the counter in addition to clothing.

3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh Maureen @cookingmylife, I'm so glad I'm not the only one obsessed with Fels-Naptha! Not only is it great for stains, but it's delicate enough for my delicates; I grate off flakes as needed using a little hand cheese grater (it was like $3 at home goods) and I wash my bras in a little Rubbermaid bin in my laundry room's utility sink. (Cuz I'm not gonna actually let my fancy delicates sit in that sink cuz Heaven knows what was washed in there before we moved in lol.) One bar lasts me about 2 years, so the 4 bars I got from Amazon will last a LONG time. I've got sensitive skin, and some of the more fancy stuff to wash lingerie has too many fragrances.

Your LO caught my eye, but how sad is it that I realized the pic was Fels, just by looking at the little thumbnail. The bar was backward so it's not like I could see the label. I just recognized the white and green paper packaging cuz I love it so much!

Anyway, as far as good cleaning products, my mom swears by Lestoil as a great stain remover, but I can't for the life of me find it here. My mom lives in the land of Meijer (if any of you know those stores), and they have it. I keep saying I'm gonna buy a bottle the next time I'm in MI, but of course the last time we visited we flew there and I can't exactly take a big bottle of cleaner on a plane. :eek But that stuff works well on stains too! The problem is, it is very chemically smelling. I don't like that, but what can you do since it works so darn well?

RebeccaH and bestcee like this.
  4. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I've haven't heard of that soap, but it sounds great. I can never get makeup off my collars, and Harrison always has grass stains on something. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

5. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

I have never heard of it either....does it work on grease stains?

6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@jagruti patel I use Borax for grease. Hopefully Maureen can answer that for you! :)

jagruti patel likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Omgosh, I had totally forgotten about that!! I remember it growing up and now I neeeeed to pick some up for myself!! Thanks so much for the great reminder!

8. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

@cookingmylife, Thanks for the tip, Maureen! I've never heard of it. How does it perform on grease spots? My Grandsons think it's appropriate to use their clothes as a napkin! I'm using liquid dish soap right now, surprisingly enough, even when I don't see it on the first run through the wash. These old eyes ain't what they used to be!

bestcee likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've been using vinegar in my wash for towels and hubby's work out clothes . . . it's brilliant! I just splash some on the clothes and then pop in my detergent pods. It really helps the towels get rid of a musty smell. White towels and hand cloths are also helped immensely by baking soda and vinegar. That's about the only natural laundry tip I have. LOL

I haven't tried that soap so I'm delighted to try something new! Thank you!

10. cookingmylife

To all who asked about GREASE. That stain I was rubbing the soap on in my layout was a salad dressing spatter stain. It's gone! and I have put things aside for a couple days and then wet the garment, rubbed the soap on an into the washer when I'm ready to do a batch of clothes. It still works.

@gonewiththewind Boy it sure is musty smell time here now! I'll have to remember vinegar. Towels no longer dry being hung overnight etc. I am fortunate to have an open railing on my 2nd floor and I always put my towel there to dry between uses. Our 2nd floor landing is the hottest spot in the house. Most of the time, however we get enough hot afternoons to dry things outside. I do put clothes in the dry for a 10 min spin before hanging out to get that bit of fluff. We also have a wind tunnel effect from the house across the street that comes through our yard (and house when doors are open). We love it!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  11. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

seriously, how have I never heard of this stuff? I will have to give it a try!

12. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I ordered some off Amazon, and it just came in. Next time I do laundry, I'm going to attack those dang makeup collar stains. I'm hoping it will be a cure for the bain of my existence...lol. Thanks for the tip!

Tree City likes this.
  13. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I LOVE it too! Always have had a bar and it was what my mother always used too!

londoncuppa likes this.
  14. cookingmylife

Ok, one stain I've had no luck with ...though I now admit I never tried the FelsNaptha on it...is the yellow stains of white tee shirts from perspiration/deodorant. I don't know which is the actual cause but I had read using white vinegar on them and all I got was tee shirts that smelled like vinegar. It said to spray vinegar on the stains and hang in the sun. I do know that my Nana used to put the damp white pillowcases on the grass in the back yard to bleach them. My maids in Thailand did that too. The chlorophyll of the grass???

15. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm putting this in my amazon wish list to order sometime soon. I get a lot of cleaning supplies b/c my hubs works for an industrial cleaning company but sometimes I just like to use other products (I just don't tell him LOL). I'm really interested in the soap bar. So glad this was talked about!

16. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Sold! I hate running to the kitchen to get the dish soap! Thanks Maureen!