Commute |Pad Patter 6.26

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jun 26, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

What's your commute like? :drivingDo you like it? Hate it? Wish it were different?

My commute is from my bedroom across the loft to the schoolroom right now! :giggle But I've had some doozies before. I'm very happy that my husband's commute is walkable currently. It's the first time he's been able to just walk to work. And since we share a car, it's awesome!

My worst commute was when I had to take 2 buses to get to work. I was usually really early, because the buses were at the station 8 minutes apart and I was always worried that one would be early or late and I'd miss it. Plus, the later bus gave me 5 minutes to be clocked in at my desk, and that stressed me out!:( DH had the car, because his commute was a 45 min drive in good traffic, 1 hour+ in bad!

So what's your current commute? What's your worst commute? It's Monday somewhere, let the commute complaints reign!

KarenB likes this.
  2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Years ago, my commute was always 30-60 minutes away by car or train. Once we bought our house in the outskirts of Vancouver, the drive to work often took 1-2 hours each way. It was driving me insane. We have terrible traffic jams here. So eventually I was able to set up at home and had the work sent to me from the office by courier. Then as technology changed, I was able to send/receive my work via email. My commute to work (for the past 20 yrs) has been about 35 seconds :) I walk downstairs to the basement and into my office. I especially appreciate not having to leave the house on days when the weather is really nasty.

JillW, KarenB and bestcee like this.
  3. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Morning my commute is around 30 minutes to exercise and then 10 minutes to work. In the evening it was normally around 40 minutes but today it was around 45-50 minutes -- the main bridge crossing the Ohio River is being serviced for the next couple of months which will make all other bridges a mess. I guess that is the problem with working in Ohio while living in Kentucky.

bestcee likes this.
  4. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Before I had the littlest, my drive was an easy breezy 30-35 commute, all freeway with just 5 stop lights; one before the freeway over pass, one at the top of the freeway overpass, one where the 303 ended and the 17 began, one at the exit of the 17 and one more at the intersection. It was awesome!! Prior to that, working at the same place before moving my commute was 5-7 mins...that was the BEST!

KarenB and bestcee like this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I've had a bunch.... all from 10 minutes in high school and college to about an hour and 10 minutes total when I was living in the boonies or if traveling to the city.

My favorite commute was when I worked in NYC. From 9/11 on, I would start with the train, then hop on a ferry and enjoyed the views, and finished with a 5 minute walk. After the Path trains (like a subway from NJ to NYC/Jersey City) under the World Trade Center were fixed, I would catch a train and then the Path to WTC. And then a 5 minute walk from there. Mostly, I would read, relax and just watch people.

Right now, my commute is approx 20-30 minutes by car, depending on traffic and time. (Most people use a car here in NJ, unless trains/bus/subway/ferry, if heading to the city).

bestcee and KarenB like this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

My commute is about 35-40 minutes in the morning and about 45 min or so in the afternoon because of traffic. Once I get from my house to the the outskirts of town, it's smooth sailing with only one red light to deal with. From my house to there, it's a pain. There are days that it takes me 20 min to go 5 miles in town, and then 20 min to go the other 20 miles. The other annoying part is the fact that once I hit the county I work in, the speed limit changes 6 times in a 12 mile stretch of road and it's a major speed trap.

I really don't mind the morning drive at all. It's always been a nice head-clearing, transition time...from the craziness of getting ready, to work mode. In the afternoons, I'm just anxious to get home and wish I could get there a little earlier.

7. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

Right now my commute is about 20 minutes...probably the longest you can have in my city.
    My favourite commute was when I lived in Monterey, CA...it was about 15 minutes to the hospital where I worked...but it was right along the coast, and it was gorgeous!!!

8. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Mine is a 15 - 20 min (depending on wind direction lol) journey on my bike! Unless the weather is bad, then I jump in the car and am there in 5 mins. Love cycling though. I'm an outdoor girl and it helps keep me fairly fit :)

bestcee likes this.
  9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I had a 2-stoplight commute that took me maybe 5 min when I worked before having DD. Now my commute is just a few dozen feet: wherever my kids are. But raising kids isn't a job cuz I can't quit.

DH took the bus when we lived in TX. He loved it cuz he could get work done. Plus he hates traffic. Now his commute is 30min to 1.5hrs, depending on traffic. Normally it's about 45min door-to-door cuz his work is gated; he can't just zip out via a less-used back route or something. I keep saying we could move to another city so his commute would be, like, 15 min, but he hates moving even more than he hates traffic so I guess we're stuck here. Oh well.

bestcee likes this.
  10. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

My commute is about 15 minutes. I'm lucky to be able to take most of the back roads to work to avoid as much traffic as possible.

My hubby's commute is about 45 minutes. He has to leave the house at 4am to get to work at 5am. He doesn't mind the drive, mostly. The winter sucks for him when it's supper foggy outside because his commute is through the country so there aren't a lot of street lights or anything. It kind of freaks me out a little bit but I can't think about it every day.

bestcee likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Currently we live about .25 miles from work. (my hubby and I work together) so it's SUPER fast. We don't even have a stop sign between us and work. I love it!

I've been lucky enough to live within 1.5 miles of all but one of my jobs in my life. The 1 long commute was when I was in college, it was about 10 miles, but there were about 30 stoplights between me and my job and you could not time your speed to not hit almost all of them. It was SO frustrating! It took forever to get there! I'm much happier now. :giggle

bestcee likes this.
  12. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

It's about 20 minutes by car. Slightly longer on the way home (weird, but I think it has to do with increased cross-traffic and how they have the lights timed). It's mostly 6-lane highway with lights and cross streets, and the drivers are nuts. Overall, drivers around here are normally very polite and respectful, but on the highway that is the bulk of my commute, they're insane. Either 20 mph over, or 10 mph under, and neither is a good combination.

Before we moved, I had an extra 15 minutes, but it was a pretty easy stretch of freeway that was almost relaxing.

13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

When I was teaching in the 90's it took about 20 minutes (if I recall correctly) to drive from Glendale to Arcadia in L.A. County via the freeway. Sometimes I'd purposely make the drive home take even longer by taking a more interesting drive through Pasadena, just randomly choosing roads and generally driving west until I reached Glendale again. It was fun exploring.

I haven't had to commute since we've moved out here to Fredericksburg, Virginia, and even my husband has an enviable commute. With little traffic and all green lights, he could make it to his office in less than 15 minutes, just one freeway exit away from our house. Of course, he's usually driving at the same time as everyone else, so it usually takes at least a half hour because of traffic congestion. Still, we can't really complain about commute. Many, many people in the Fredericksburg area commute to D.C., about 50 miles north. I can drive there in less than an hour when conditions are right, but during rush hours it can take TWO hours or more. Even the toll high occupancy lanes on I95 can get congested enough to slow to a crawl. I think if I had to make that drive regularly, I'd take the train instead.

bestcee likes this.
  14. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My worst commute was when I lived on the outskirts of Indianapolis and had to drive downtown to work. The drive in wasn't too bad but the drive out... yikes. I got off work at 4:30, drove 45 minutes north on the busiest interstate in town to pick up my daughter from my ILs, and then drove another 25-30 minutes south back to our house. I'm so glad that I don't have to do that anymore!

bestcee likes this.
  15. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

My commute is about 15 mins in the morning/20 or so in the evening (I get to work at 7am so far less traffic than getting home at 5pm!) I only work 2 days/week so it's easy & not a hassle at all! My very first job right out of dental hygiene school was 35 mins (by highway) away- which doesn't seem long now- but it was considering it was over a little mountain- so winter was terrible. I only worked at that office for about a year before I found a new position 5 mins away from my house. I worked there for 5 years until we moved to the other side of the state. :)

16. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

My typical commute isn't bad, only 20-30 minutes since I'm not usually going at regular commute time. Depending on where I'm going that day, my max commute is 15 miles. Getting home in the evening can stretch out to 40 minutes. Right now though I'm working at a summer camp 22 miles away and it can take 45 minutes to more than an hour with traffic most of the way. Even leaving after rush house has supposedly ended is still bad traffic. UGH! I'm only doing this for 3 weeks because I know I can't handle it anymore than that. I have no idea how people commute 1.5-2 hours everyday one way!! My husband just recently got a new job that's much closer to where we live. He can bike there in 30 minutes, only 5 minutes longer than driving. But I worry about all the crazy drivers out there and the main road he's on is super busy.

17. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I have a (TomTom says) 37 minute drive to and from school where I work as a teacher. I always talk about 45 minutes because I add the walking to and from the car. I don't mind the drive. But I did mind that last year, when I didn't have a car, I went by bus and train and it took 1,5 hour to and from. Double the time! ouch. And I also mind my bank account, for it costs a proper penny. Hopefully next year, I will be able to say it's a 15 minute bike ride. I really want to move.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

before kids, i worked nearly an hour away (2 different PT jobs but one an hour north and the other an hour south). Depending on traffic in some of the one lane stretches it could take up to 75mins. The commute was fine, for a while - 1.5 yrs.
    For the last 5-6 yrs and forseeable future, school is 30mins drive away but that's life (some of the kids in DD's school come from an hour or more away each day)

19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I was fortunate in my 3 jobs over the past 30 years to be less than 1 mile from the various offices. I usually walked which took my 15 minutes but more when it was really hot so I didn't arrive dripping sweat. The last ten years though I had an indoor parking space and I often drove. However, the traffic coming out of Annapolis on a two lane street often was so bad it could take me 25-30 minutes. I still usually drove because they put in a new circle (roundabout) a couple blocks from my house and it was terribly dangerous to try to make it across. People speeding and god help me if there was a 'soccer mom driving an suv and on the phone' coming around!

I love retirement!

20. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

A quick 6 minutes from my bedroom to my office! Faster if I'm already caffeinated! :giggle

londoncuppa and enjoyyourpix like this.