May 2017 Book Club - Secret Daughter

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am posting the next few months at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for May 2017 is Secret Daugter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here (highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

sorta off topic and i don't know if i just try to find coincidences in the world around me or it's just one of those weird book coincidences i have a lot but -
    i just did an online search see if my library had this and it had 1 copy (better than none) but it also puts up 'also by this author' as default on the page and turns out this author has also written a book called "The Golden Son" - which coincidently is the 2nd book in Red Rising that some of us are reading currently or have done recently after last months book - totally different premise but coincident enough for my brain to say 'hey!' and i had to share LOL - ok, carry on!

umyesh and KarenW like this.
  3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Started this since I finished April's and I have a sprained wrist and don't want to do anything except read.

4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@umyesh ouch...that sounds painful. Hope it heals quickly.

umyesh likes this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I finished up April's book a few days ago so started this month's book and just want to thank you all for having this club and introducing me to books I might otherwise overlook.

Specifically, this one. I'm pretty sure I would have totally passed this one over had I read the synopsis and seen the cover (it's weird how my preference is piqued by the visual look of a book cover). I thought it would be a dry read, too descriptive and just not my cup of tea. I like easy fast reads and didn't think this would appeal to me. I could not be more wrong.....it's a great book! I read a few pages yesterday and this morning I read half of the book and have just put it down b/c I have to go out but if I had my druthers....I would spend the next few hours in my chair and finish it :) I am loving this book! Hurry up ladies and read this one. I find the writing flows well and it's so interesting (at least to me). Can't wait to hear what you all think of it.

busywoman139, umyesh and Karen like this.
  6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

If I'm reading my library website correctly, I'm next in line with a hold on this book. So it should be perfectly timed for me to read it around the beginning of May.

busywoman139 and Karen like this.
  7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm ready to start this one too!

(down to #140 on Hillbilly Elegy which looks like it will be a middle of summer read..lol..or maybe as the leaves start to fall...)

Karen and busywoman139 like this.
  8. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I ordered this book and it came in earlier than expected...... it is now due back on the 24th. Going to call and see if I can renew it. Not sure as it is part of the MEL.org so it came from another library. Hopefully I can as I have not cracked the cover being I'm still reading Remember Me?

Karen likes this.
  9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Here's my thoughts in white, (highlight with cursor to read):

1. I enjoyed the references to India, not knowing much about that culture.
    2. The story flowed well and by skipping back and forth between characters, it kept me engaged.
    3. My favorite characters were the biological mom and grandmother. It was interesting to learn more about them and their lives as the story unfolded.
    4. This story managed to be descriptive without dragging it out which is what bugs me about a lot of books so this was perfect for me.
    5. This book gets a huge thumbs up from me.

umyesh likes this.
  10. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Finished this one too. Good read. I highlighted a lot of quotes that I thought would make great wedding/life advice. It gave me a lot to think about which I loved.

busywoman139 likes this.
  11. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Just checked out the ebook from my library.. Excited to start tonight.. :)

12. cookingmylife

I have been waylaid by tv. My son signed into his HULU account while here after his wedding and I still have access...

Karen and umyesh like this.
  13. Karen

I'm going to go pick this one up tonight on my way home and get started... even a little early! That never seems to happen for me! :)

14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Just make sure you give yourself blocks of time to read b/c if you are like me, once you get into it, you are going to want to keep reading :) I read every morning for about 30-40 minutes while drinking my coffee and waking up. I hated having to put this down and go to work.

tinkerbell1112 likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i n.e.e.d to finish the Red Rising trilogy before i grab anything else from the library so i might not make it this month but i believe the highly anticipated sequel is called Secret Tadpole
    [​IMG]
    (joking - i have no idea if there is a sequel, with or without amphibia in it)

sm_amber likes this.
  16. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

17. Karen

Ha ha ha! Secret tadpole! That is funny! :)

18. cookingmylife

I absolutely loved this one! I will say that
    I was shocked to see how little cultural awareness the adoptive mother had. Seriously? She trained at Stanford? married an Indian man and later adopted the Indian child? What bubble was she living in? In any case, this book touched me deeply and there were many moments I cried which does not happen often with books. Excellent story.

19. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

What did the frog say when he returned his library book?
    [​IMG]
    read-it! read-it!

20. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!