Cutting tool for printouts?

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by therustylens, Apr 17, 2017.

1. therustylens

therustylens New Member

Hi. I'm dipping my toes back in the water after years and years away from scrapbooking. Back in the old days with dinosaurs roaming we used exacto knives, but it appears there may be a printing machine to replace this?

I'm looking for something that can print and cut out the files, not just a die cut machine. Advice? Recommendations?

Thank you!

bestcee likes this.
  2. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I have a silhouette Cameo but it does not print. It has a print and cut feature but you have to send the file to your printer first then it cuts out the stuff. Mine cuts like a dream and I love it to bits but I don't do much hybrid anymore so it just sits collecting dust right now. I don't know if there is one out there that does the printing as well as cutting but I am only familiar with Silhouette so maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon.

3. therustylens

therustylens New Member

I'm so new to this idea i'm not even sure what I actually need. I think I just need something that cuts. Now I'm off to go google this some more, lol.

4. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Good luck with your Google search @therustylens! I also have a Silhouette and love it - I have printed lots of elements from digital kits and cut them out - it definitely takes practice (and patience at first!). I'll be anxious to see what you decide on!

5. therustylens

therustylens New Member

Which silhouette do you guys recommend?

6. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

I have a Silhouette Cameo that I've had for a few years. They've updated them since I got mine. The Silhouette Cameo 3 is the latest. It love that it has bluetooth!

7. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I started with a Silhouette Portrait and loved it. Never had any problems with it but upgraded to the Silhouette Cameo 3 this past Christmas just to be able to do bigger scale. I have found that since I don't have a wide format printer all I ever do is 8.5x11 on it so didn't really need to upgrade for space but.... having said that, the Cameo cuts so much smoother and the whole machine just runs nicer than my portrait did. it has a self adjusting blade and the cuts have been spot on so far for me.

8. therustylens

therustylens New Member

Alright thanks so much! It looks like I know what I want! Now I have to keep the deal I made with myself to actually get some pages done first! My scrapbook stuff stayed in a closet for about ten years, I still have things that are in their original packaging. lol.

KatrinaHunt13 and bestcee like this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have the Silhouette Portrait and it took a few tries to get the hang of it, but the print and cut feature (printing out on your own printer and then putting that through your machine) is awesome. Great for cutting small items for planners (I loved printing on sticker paper and then just being able to stick the embellishments onto my planner). @KatrinaHunt13 does hybrid here for us at The Pad and I'm sure she will have some more knowledge to share with you!

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have a silhouette cameo too. I didn't know if I wanted the 12" or the 8.5". But I love having the extra for cards, and making boxes, etc. So I'm happy I went with 12". But I have the space to store and use it.

I don't know of any machines that print and cut in one, but the cameo is the best I've used. I also have a sizzix eclips, and had a cricut expression. The Cameo is my favorite because it's easiest to print and cut.

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm another Silhouette user here. I have the smaller version, the Portrait and I LOVE it. I don't even do hybrid scrapbook pages, but I use it for all kinds of things. I do lots of art journaling, so I love being able to print my digi supplies and then cut them out with my Portrait. When you print, it also prints some registration marks so that when you feed the printed paper into the machine, it scans for those registration marks and that's how it know where to cut. Pretty clever and works great!

I love the size of my Portrait (9" x 12") but sure wish I had a 12x12 version lately because I've been working in my huge art journal and love making stencils to use in there and there have been a lot of times lately that i wish I could do a full 12x12 stencil.

12. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Same as Cheryl. I have the smaller size Portrait. I mostly wanted it to use the Print and Cut feature (print on my printer - but you need the Silhouette to add the registration marks on the print before it goes to the printer - so that is why they say it is a "Print and Cut" machine) and then Cut. I mostly use it for making stickers for my planner. I did struggle with things not lining up for a long time ... but it was totally user error! I had items sitting beyond the boundaries of where they should be and that messes up the cuts. Once I figured out where things can and can NOT be placed - it works amazingly! I love my Silhouette Portrait. If you are using it for scrapbooking I defer to what Karen said ... I'd go for the full 12 inch size Cameo!

13. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I have the Cameo and love it. Definitely some trial and error at first but now it works well. I print on my printer and cut on the Cameo.

14. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

Cameo all the way!!! I totally love mine and if it broke I would go out immediately and purchase another one. I cannot create without it!

If you look at my gallery, all my hybrid projects are done with the Cameo. I do have a wide format 1430 Epson printer that I use with it also, but a lot of the time I will use my regular printer also. There are so many things you can do. Especially if you are familiar with Photoshop or PSE that you can transfer over to the Cameo.

You can download the basic software without having a machine from silhouette's site to get a feel of it before you buy a machine. The software is super easy to use.

The one thing I have found with print and cut is good light when the machine reads the registration marks. I use a flashlight and hold it on the "cutting head/blade" until the registration marks are read and it starts cutting.

There are ways to save on ink/paper, etc. but I am a person that buys 2 sheets of paper plus all the embellishments in a collection for regular scrapbooking, so I don't get too worried about it! I just try to catch ink and paper on sale. I use Epson Premium and Ultra Premium Presentation paper and usually Epson will have a coupon every so often and then I will stock up. Ink is the same, I wait for a discount code.

The Silhouette also has sketch pens that you can use with it to draw designs. I don't use the feature often, but I do like to do journaling with those and then make cut boxes around them to have journaling strips to put on my layout!

Ask questions and I can try to answer them. I don't know everything, but I love doing it. I am hoping to do some screen capture videos, but I need to take the time to figure out how to do those!

15. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I second (triple, quadruple, etc..) the lovely ladies above. I LOVE my Silhouette Cameo. I also have my trusty Sizzix Big Shot for my dies, which I also could not live without. These are both essential for a hybrid scrapper IMHO.

I started off with a Cricut Expression, but using those cartridges are for the birds. No way. I didn't have it long at all, and my hubby sold the lot on eBay, and I got my Cameo. Zero regrets there!

I do know there's also the Brother Scan and Cut. That's what Julie Fei-Fan Balzer uses (she's a rep of theirs). Nancy Nally (she runs the Scrapbook Update site) is also a rep of theirs. She spoke about it at length on The DigiScrap Geek Podcast (Episode 55).

As a side note, our own beautiful Cynthia was a guest on that show @MrsPeel, but there's something wrong with that feed, and I've never been able to play it back after I heard it the first time (it's episode 26 if I'm remembering correctly).

16. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Great point, Katrina! There are also a lot of posts/videos online about how to use regular pens/markers in the holder, so you don't have to buy their sketch pens, which is neat.

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  17. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I echo those above me :) I have the Cameo as well, and totally love it!!

18. therustylens

therustylens New Member

Oh awesome!! Thanks so much for all the great info! I am looking to streamline my process, but I love these monthly subscription packs and the cut files are too big of a pita for me to cut by hand. I think the cameo would make that so much more fun and user friendly.

19. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

What I do, and it takes time, is when I get a kit I basically trace and create cut lines for every element and save that .studio (silhouette file ext) file with my kit. Then all the elements are ready when I decide I want to use the kit. I think it saves me time in the long run.

20. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Bart likes cri-cuts for snacks! hehe
    [​IMG]