Fast Five: How Far |Pad Patter 2.21.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Feb 21, 2017.

1. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 15 minutes
    2. How far away is the nearest gas station? 3 minutes
    3. How far away is a body of water? We live 10 minutes from a river (that you have to cross to get to the grocery store incidentally), 30 minutes from a lake, and 2ish hours from Lake Michigan
    4. How far away is a mountain? Too far! 10-12 hours, I would think, to reach the foothills of the Appalachians
    5. How far away is another country? Not far! It's a little over 3 1/2 hours to drive to Canada from here.

bestcee likes this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 1.8 miles to Food Lion but I would rather go 2.2 miles to Kroger
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 2.2 miles to the one at Krogers, otherwise about 2 miles
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) there is a little creek beside our property and 2 overflow ponds in the neighborhood next to ours -- but just a 2 hours drive to the ocean - I would rather go there!
    4. How far away is a mountain? 3 hours to the Appalachian Mountains, less if you count Mt. Airy and other individual mountains. The joys of living in the middle of NC - about equal distance to the mountains and the ocean.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) Toronto, Canada - 12 hours by car, about 2 hours by plane -- or The Bahamas 4 hours by plane, but I would go by cruise ship

bestcee likes this.
  3. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? About 2 miles.
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? About 1.5 miles
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) About 1 mile - a creek.
    4. How far away is a mountain? Some people might say we live on a mountain...but it's more like a large hill. The closest real mountain is about 5 miles away.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) Canada. I could fly or drive. Looks like it's about a 14 hour drive.

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

It does look nice! Sorry it's so uphill/downhill!

You must have been to other mountains to say that?

What's a catercorner? I've never heard that phrase.

It is surprising! Quite a few in walking distance too!

You are almost in the direct middle!

Does that make you closer to Mexico than another state?

Very lucky. I love that you aren't sure because of it!

:giggle

I laughed! That's hilarious.

Sounds like heaven!

5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

@bestcee lol we are 55 minutes south to El Paso, Texas, which we drive thru and park in to walk to Mexico.

bestcee likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? Winn Dixie by car, 3 minutes, 0.8 miles
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? Tom Thumb by car, 2 minutes, 0.7 miles
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) Escambia Bay leading to the Gulf of Mexico by car, 7 minutes, 2.9 miles
    4. How far away is a mountain? Yonah Mountain in Georgia by car, 6 hours, 8 minutes, 398.4 miles
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) Freeport, Grand Bahama, The Bahamas by plane, 3 hours 35 minutes, 587 miles

7. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? About .9 of a mile. :) But the one we like is about 2.9 miles away.
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? About 1.3 miles. We like going to the one at the grocery store that is 2.9 miles away though. :) Get groceries and gas all on the same trip.
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) About 2.5 miles. There is a lovely pond at the park by the new Cubs stadium.
    4. How far away is a mountain? About 34.4 miles to the Superstition Mountains according to Google. But we can see them like they are only 10 miles away!! :)
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc)
    181.3 miles to the border at Nogalas, Mexico. 3 hours from us. We would go by car. :)

This was fun. Thanks!

8. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? A new one just opened less than 1/2 mile away.
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 1/2 mile.
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) Maybe 5 miles. 2 hours to Lake Erie.
    4. How far away is a mountain? So many, but maybe an hour away.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) Canada, drive time is about 5 hours by car.

9. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

This is fun.

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? About a mile
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? .25 mile
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) Puget Sound is about 500 yards away!
    4. How far away is a mountain? I have them on all sides, but the closest set would be the Cascades at about 40-50 minutes.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) Canada is about 150 miles north and we usually drive.

10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

It's diagonal from our corner. :giggle I'm sure you've heard it before... pry just the other different terms and how people actually say it... catercorner = cater-corner/cater-cornered, catty-corner/catty-cornered, kitty-corner/kitty-cornered.

@bestcee

bestcee and BevG like this.
  11. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 3.3 miles
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 1.4 miles
    3. How far away is a body of water? 1.3 miles to a tiny pond in a park
    4. How far away is a mountain? The base of the mountain is within 15-20 mins. I have a wonderful view of it from my house.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) 324 miles to Mexico via car

12. bestcee

@jk703 aha!
    Yep, I call it kitty corner. That's cool to see the different vernacular.

jk703 likes this.
  13. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

At least the midwest I lived in, you just knew there had to be mountains higher than the hills there are.

I'm still waiting to google my answers. I was going to copy mrs2a50's but there's too many miles between us.

bestcee likes this.
  14. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 1 mile
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? .8 mile
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) 12 miles
    4. How far away is a mountain? Approximately 250 miles
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) About 470 miles; you can travel by car, bus, train, or plane.

15. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

And I've known it as "catty-corner." :giggle

jk703 and bestcee like this.
  16. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store?
    As the bird flies, less than 1/4 mile, but it's 1/2 mile to drive.
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 1 mile
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) 1/4 mile - stream
    4. How far away is a mountain? The Blue Ridge Mountains are about an hour away.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) According to Google maps, it's 569 miles from my house to the US/Canadian border. 8:41 to drive and 1:35 to fly.

17. Lor

Lor you've always had the power, my dear

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 4 miles
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 4 miles
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) 4 miles, our town has a beautiful lake to enjoy.
    4. How far away is a mountain?100s of miles, we live in Wisconsin and we have are hills.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) 100s and 1000s of miles from Wisconsin, and we fly. :-)

18. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? A mile and a half.
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? A mile and a half.
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) 30 miles.
    4. How far away is a mountain? 8 miles.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) Thousands of miles!

19. bestcee

Canada isn't that far from Wisconsin!

20. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 3.3 miles, 9 minutes by car if I don't get stuck at the railroad tracks
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 2-3 minutes away just down the main cross street a little way
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) 1-2 minutes by car to a retention pond near our neighborhood, 1 mile to the small lake we live by
    4. How far away is a mountain? 90 minutes by highway driving to Rib Mountain in Wausau WI. There are a few ski hills that are probably within an hour.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) 5.5 hours driving by car from our house in NE WI to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada via the UP in Michigan

bestcee likes this.