Fast Five: How Far |Pad Patter 2.21.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Feb 21, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Minutes, Miles, Kilometers, Bus Transfers, Walking, Airplanes:
    How far away are you?

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store?
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station?
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond)
    4. How far away is a mountain?
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc)

2. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

1 and 2 are next to each other, less than a kilometre away. (so lucky)
    3. The main lake in Canberra is about 2km away
    4. nearest mountain - Ok, what we called mountains wouldn't register as hills in most places but the nearest official mountain is less than 5 km away - some slightly larger ones are about 20min drive away and to get to snow that you can ski on takes about 2.5hrs driving.
    5. Nearest country is New Zealand - 3500kms. It's closer than the other side of Australia. We have to fly everywhere. takes about 3.5 hours to get to NZ, after that , Indonesia takes about 6 hours and Singapore 8 hrs.

bestcee likes this.
  3. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Minutes, Miles, Kilometers, Bus Transfers, Walking, Airplanes:
    How far away are you?

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? About half of a kilometre
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? By the grocery store - there is a very small commercial center right after you arrive on the island.
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) its all around us. From my back door about 500 meters.
    4. How far away is a mountain? I guess Mount Royal would be the only thing considered a mountain in Montreal. Its about ten kilometres
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc)- US would be about 50 -60 kilometres to the boarder. Depending on where in the US you are going, drive, fly, train, bus.

bestcee, LoveItScrapIt and Juliestcyr like this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? About 2 miles
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? About a mile
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) There's a pond in our subdivision and one in the woods behind our house, each about 1/4 mile. The nearest lake is maybe 10-15 miles. The nearest river is less than 5 miles, and there are several close. The nearest ocean is more like 300 miles, give or take.
    4. How far away is a mountain? LOL I'm sitting on one and surrounded by them.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) I'm thinking we are probably 500 miles, give or take, south of the Canadian border. I've never been, but I'd probably drive.

I look at this and think, wow, several of these things are a nice walking distance, but when you factor in #4 ugh lol. Just to get to the pond 1/4 mile away is uphill, uphill again, downhill, downhill again, uphill, downhill again (then reverse it to get back home)...it's really more like hiking haha.

bestcee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 2kms
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 2kms
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) Swimming pool - back garden/ Ocean 30 mins drive
    4. How far away is a mountain? Table Mountain 30 mins drive
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) > 2 hours flying

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? less than 1/2 a mile
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? less than 1/2 a mile
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) 1 mile to Lake Michigan
    4. How far away is a mountain? Um.... about 50 miles, but "mountains" in Michigan aren't very big
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) Canada is the closest country and you can drive there through detroit... it's 193 miles by car.

7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? about 3/4 mile. There are probably 4 within 1.5 miles!
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? about 3 blocks... catercorner at the end of our street.
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) Raritan Bay/Sandy Hook Bay which lead to the Atlantic Ocean. About 7 miles or so (10 min).... Beach is Sandy Hook, 15-20 minutes.
    4. How far away is a mountain? Little ones - Watchung Mountains about 25 miles (1/2 hour), Big Ones - Kitatinny (part of the Ridge and Valley province of the Appalachian Mountains) - about 90 miles (1.5 hours)
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) Canada... 375 miles or so - (6 hours). Any car or plane.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  8. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I used Google Maps to calculate from my house. I am amazed at how close by all of your grocery stores are. I thought we weren't doing bad with ours less than a 3 minute drive away (or 30 minute walk) away.

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 2.3km to the Farm Boy (It's actually a really nice grocery store)
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 2.3km, right next to the Farm Boy, actually. Also, it has the best prices in the city according to GasBuddy.
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) - 700 meters to the Ottawa River (as the crow flies). If you actually want to go to the beach or a boat launch, it's about 3km to get to Petrie Island Conservation Area. It's a 2 day drive to the Atlantic ocean from here.
    4. How far away is a mountain? OK, so Gatineau Park, on the other side of that river in Quebec has a hiking trail called, "King Mountain". I'm not sure that it's a real mountain. It's about a 45 minute drive. But really, the Gatineaus are the foothills to the Laurentian mountain range. It's the northern cousin to the Adirondacks. I'd say it's an 8 hour drive from here to the Laurentians.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) It's 96km to Cornwall where you can cross into the US, sort of near Massena, NY. I know some people who go cross border shopping in Ogdensburg, NY, which is about 115km, about 1.5 hour drive away. I think people might also go crossborder shopping in Plattsburg, which is about a 2.5 hour drive.

9. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

After reading
    @Lindzee 's answers, I'd like to revise mine. Mount Royal is a real mountain, (I even looked it up) and is only a 2 hour drive from my house. Except driving in Montreal is crazy so I'd take a bus or the train there (still a 2 hour drive). This also means that I have actually been at the top of a mountain. I had never thought about this before.

bestcee, Lindzee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  10. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? There are a couple that are about a 5 minute drive from me.
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? It's probably a two minute drive...just outside of my neighborhood...I could walk there if I needed to (and I have).
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) We can get to the central coast in about 2 1/2 hours
    4. How far away is a mountain? a 45 minute drive
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) Hmmm...I think Canada would be the closest to me, too. We could drive (17 hours) or fly (4 hours).

11. chastml

chastml Shock me, Sinead O'Rebellion

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 3 miles
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 2.9 miles
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) 210 feet (pond), 11.5 miles (lake)
    4. How far away is a mountain? 78.2 miles
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) 774 miles (Mexico), 879 miles (Canada). Car or Plane

12. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store?
    .4 miles... about a four block walk
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station?
    .1 mile... about a two block walk
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond)
    we're about a mile west of Lake Michigan and a mile east of the Chicago River
    4. How far away is a mountain?
    No real mountains here, but we're about 48 miles from the nearest ski "hill" (Wilmot in Wisconsin).
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc)
    Not sure if this is to the closest entry point, but it looks like it would take about 7 1/2 hours to drive to Canada.

13. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 8 blocks!
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 8 blocks
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) I'm in desert, so our city pool is 15 blocks away, or a creek is about 20 minute drive
    4. How far away is a mountain? I live at the foot of the mountain. :)
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) 1 hour to Mexico! and I could drive and park and walk in, but we don't. It used to be fun, now it is scary. It is beyond what you see on TV, read in paper or hear on radio.

14. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 10 min walk
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 1 min by car
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) Just across the road. We live by a park and a river runs through it.
    4. How far away is a mountain? I am counting the Alps as "mountain". 2.5h by car.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) The closest is the Czech Republic. 1.5h by car.

15. gillscott

gillscott Waldo's just my alias

nearest petrol and groceries, asda supermarket 1.5 miles away
    nearest body of water small stream about 100 metres, river tyne about 1 mile north sea about 1.5 miles
    nearest mountain cheviot hills, 1.5 hours drive
    another country republc of ireland about a 30 minute flight

16. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 1.2 miles (about 3 mins by car)
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 0.2 miles (about 4 min walk)
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) 0.7 miles (about 13 min walk)
    4. How far away is a mountain? actual mountain, 439 miles (about 7.5 hours by car)
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) 363 miles (about 5.5 hours by car)

17. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

This is a lot of thought process for me this early! :)

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? Just down the hill, so maybe a mile? It's wonderful
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? I have no idea, John fills my car with gas every week (I know, I'm spoiled). Maybe 3 miles?
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) We walk the river with the dogs all the time - maybe 5 miles?
    4. How far away is a mountain? I would personally never consider it a mountain, but the locals do. Badger mountain is just up the hill from us, so less than a mile.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc). Crud. Canada would be closest. 250 miles (had to google)

18. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? Less than a mile (the one I frequent is 2 miles)
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? Less than a mile
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) Less than 2 miles Lake Grapevine
    4. How far away is a mountain? about 630 miles to the mountains in NM
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) I could drive to Nuevo Laredo in about 7 hours (450 miles) but I would rather drive to Galveston and cruise to Cozumel.

bestcee likes this.
  19. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? 5 miles (9 minutes)
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? 1.9 miles (3 minutes)
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) Does a creek count? About 50 feet from my front door, we have one on the property.
    4. How far away is a mountain? ????? Far - I live in the Midwest.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) It would have to be Canada, driving about 430 miles, 7 hours 13 minutes per Google.

20. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

1. How far away is the nearest grocery store? ~1 mile but I only use it for things like when we decide to make something spontaneously, but discover we're missing one vital ingredient. I pass 3 other grocery stores to go to my preferred one, Wegmans, which is barely over 5 miles away.
    2. How far away is the nearest gas (petrol) station? ~2.5 miles, but for convenience and because the prices are usually slightly lower, I usually go to the one near the previous mentioned Wegmans
    3. How far away is a body of water? (ocean, river, lake, pond) My neighborhood has a creek in it. There are LOTS of creeks, ponds, and reservoirs all around here. The Rappahannock River is maybe 7 miles due north of me, but inaccessible at that location (residential neighborhood or farmland). But the river curves and I barely have to drive further than that to reach its shoreline in town (Fredericksburg, VA), some of which is quite like a beach on an ocean (minus waves). But I grew up in San Diego, where the ocean was only 10 miles west of me, so I would like to note here that now I live 160 miles from the nearest beach on an ocean (Virginia Beach). I'm surprised I don't miss the ocean more and have only traveled down there twice in the 16 years I've lived here. We have gone to many river and Chesapeake Bay beaches though. Colonial Beach on the Potomac River is only about 45 miles away, to name one.
    4. How far away is a mountain? First a funny. I didn't know the answer to this, so I opened Google Maps and typed in "nearest mountain to Fredericksburg, VA". It showed me the location of the STORE Gander Mountain a few miles up the road. :rollin So I searched for Shenandoah Nat'l Park instead -- I think that's the nearest terrain that's truly mountainous -- and (re)learned that they're about 60 miles west of me.
    5. How far away is another country? (And bonus, how do you get to it? plane/train/bus/etc) According to Google Maps the Canadian border is about 450 miles from me, if I drove. My family has driven to upstate New York twice (many years ago) but I have yet to visit Canada. I'd like to! I have been to Mexico, barely, back in the 90's when I lived in San Diego and Tijuana was only like 20 miles away or something. Now, according to Google Maps, it looks like the fastest route to Mexico for me now would be through Loredo, TX, 1600 miles away. I could visit my sister who lives an hour outside Houston along the way. :) I've never even done that though. Someday I hope we can afford to travel more!

bestcee likes this.